Source for 1:7 20-24" AR barrels

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    There are plenty of 1:8 barrels out there, but who sells a 1:7 20-24" Barrel? Is there any downside to a 1:7 vs a 1:8 as long as you"re shooting 69gr. or heavier?

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    Yeah, I saw the SDM. I guess I should have specified > 20". I really like the DPMS 24" fluted barrel, but it is only available in 1:8 AFAIK. How much performance advantage, if any, is there in a longer than 20" barrel for 600 yd or greater competition?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Yeah, I saw the SDM. I guess I should have specified > 20". I really like the DPMS 24" fluted barrel, but it is only available in 1:8 AFAIK. How much performance advantage, if any, is there in a longer than 20" barrel for 600 yd or greater competition?

That is a more complex question thatn it would seem at first glance. Are you using a scope or iron sights. Single loaded bullets or mag length? 600 yards or more? If more, how much? An iron sighted 20" barrel is perfectly capable of sending a bullet 600 yards with excellent accuracy. If you were to use a 24" barrel with iron sights, the longer sighting plane offers aiming advntage. The longer barrel also offers some velocity advantage, butI don't think it is that much (100 - 150 fps). If you are using a scope, barrel quality is more important than the 4" difference in length. If you go beyond 600 yards very much, the extravelocity will likely begin to make more of a difference. You would need to run it on a ballistic calculator.

What are you looking to do with the rifle? While I prefer a 1:7", a 1:8" may suit your purpose just as well. You could order a Kreiger or Pac-Nor from White Oak in any twist you like.

Top Bottom