Spanish FR8,

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Afternoon everyone.

I've recently been looking at some of the more uncommon C&R rifles and came across the FR8.I love my k98 but don't shoot it as much as I'd like too.A .308 stle mauser would be interesting to have, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of this rifle and how hard is it to find one? Thanks

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    They have gone up a fair amount recently, average 325-425.00
    I have one I purchased for 89.00 plus a 10 hand pick fee back in 1984, it is the nicest one I have seen. They are extremely good brush gun, short, reasonably light with a hard hitting .308 cartridge. It has some negatives, it is extremely loud, the short barrel just barks like crazy, on the range people three alley's down flinch. Recoil is stout, and I like recoil. The straight bolt is a pain in the ass I hate it, I have been told you can substitute a G98 bent bolt and it works fine, all internet hearsay.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Have you considered the M1916 Spanish Mauser in .308? Samco Global has them on hand for $170, and they have the turned-down bolt handle and 21 inch barrel.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html

I picked up one about a year ago, but my ageing eyes have been having problems with the forward-mounted rear sight. I just mounted a scout scope this past weekend using a Moisin rail from Cheaper than Dirt. Will be happy to post photos if you are interested in seeing what it looks like.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    The 1916 Spanish Mauser is a 1895 Mauser action. The FR8 is a 98 Mauser action. The 1916 is not as strong as the FR8 and is a cock on closing action.
    I have both rifles and like the FR8 much more.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    The M1916 Mauser in 7.62x54 I purchased had a really bad stock (even after steaming out some of the dents), and non-matching serial nmbers. It really had no collector value to me, and I wanted a shooter anyway. I found it difficult to see with the forward-mounted rear sight so explored some alternatives. Without changing anything permanently I've just mounted a scout scope (3x-7x variable) using an AR15 handle mount. The scope is part of a Mosin-Nagant kit from Cheaper Than Dirt and also came with a rail mount, but their mount wouldn't fit (too low) over the upper handguard of the wood stock. Possibly if I ever put the action into a fiberglass stock I'll switch to the lower mount. Here's what it looks like currently: Click on the photos to enlarge

View attachment 27951View attachment 27952View attachment 27953View attachment 27954

Top Bottom