Speeding/reckless driving ticket

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coastie Paul

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Slidell, LA
    Damn, got my first ticket ever today. Never been pulled over before or even had a parking ticket in 25 years of driving. AL trooper got me on the Mobile Bay bridge. The reckless part is for following too closely. Trooper was very professional, came on strong at first and then good natured when he brought me the ticket (go figure). Since I'm not used to being pulled over, when he asked me why I thought he pulled me over, of course I told the truth. So, of course he puts on the ticket that I admitted to speeding. :doh:

Not sure how to handle the court portion. He did misidentify me on the tickets as a female, which anyone can tell I am not (i.e. bald with manly features, and my wife was with me), so I don't know if I can use that to my advantage.

Any tips?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    No, him identifying you as female will not help you at all, even in court. Everything else on the ticket is correct, I'm assuming, which would override one little bit of mis-identifying information, especially one as small as sex.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Can you go to traffic school instead of just paying it? That way it will stay off your insurance. My last traffic school was done on the internet.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Never admit what you were doing wrong (self incrimination?). If its not too far out of your way go talk to the DA. Often they will mark a first ticket down to a seat belt, etc.

Don't overly sweat your insurance. If you've been w/ the same company for a while one ticket shouldn't hurt you. Talk to your agent...

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    Contact the DA's office, let them know you don't mind paying the fine but you would like to keep it off yur record, that's always worked for me. The ticket is the cheap part, what it adds to your insurance for 3 to 5 years is what cost's you the most.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    +1 on contacting the DA. I got popped for going 50 in a 35 while in my 18 wheeler. Like you the cop was stern at first but after a few "yes sirs" he calmed down. He was the one that told me to call the DA. It's a big no-no going 15 mph over on a CDL. Anyway, the DA changed it to a non moving violation I paid the fine and nothing on my record.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Damn, got my first ticket ever today. Never been pulled over before or even had a parking ticket in 25 years of driving. AL trooper got me on the Mobile Bay bridge. The reckless part is for following too closely. Trooper was very professional, came on strong at first and then good natured when he brought me the ticket (go figure). Since I'm not used to being pulled over, when he asked me why I thought he pulled me over, of course I told the truth. So, of course he puts on the ticket that I admitted to speeding. :doh:

Not sure how to handle the court portion. He did misidentify me on the tickets as a female, which anyone can tell I am not (i.e. bald with manly features, and my wife was with me), so I don't know if I can use that to my advantage.

Any tips?

A reckless operation in La. is a Criminal Offense. See if you can get the DA to let you pay the fine for speeding only and drop the reckless operation ASAP.

Last edited:

dwhiteforpres

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Advice given to me once from an attorney..."NEVER JUST MAIL IN YOUR COURT COST/FINE. IT'S ADMITTING GUILT."

Show up and talk to the DA as others have suggested. Calling the DA first is also a good idea to get a feel for how they are willing to handle it.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Defiantly talk to the DA, my co-worker made a very stupid decision in Port Vincent a month ago that basically included evading the police. He finally pulled over and cooperated so the cop let him of with just a wreckless driving ticket. Well he talked to the DA and got it reduced to just speeding and taken off his record so the insurance company doesnt see it.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    No, him identifying you as female will not help you at all, even in court. Everything else on the ticket is correct, I'm assuming, which would override one little bit of mis-identifying information, especially one as small as sex.

When I was 16, I received a ticket where the police officer transposed a couple of digits in my driver's license number and the judge threw it out.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Defiantly talk to the DA, my co-worker made a very stupid decision in Port Vincent a month ago that basically included evading the police. He finally pulled over and cooperated so the cop let him of with just a wreckless driving ticket. Well he talked to the DA and got it reduced to just speeding and taken off his record so the insurance company doesnt see it.

That is not letting him off that is next to a DWI.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Advice given to me once from an attorney..."NEVER JUST MAIL IN YOUR COURT COST/FINE. IT'S ADMITTING GUILT."

Show up and talk to the DA as others have suggested. Calling the DA first is also a good idea to get a feel for how they are willing to handle it.

Very good advice.

We wouldn't want people to start being all honest and taking responsibility for their mistakes.

I am thinking he should definitely attempt to exploit what is obviously an admistrative mistake in light of the fact he knows in his own heart he was wrong. While he is at it, he should also sue somebody. Not sure who, but I am sure it is anyone else's fault besides his.

Other than being another another blamer insociety. I do agree you should speak with the DA if you ultimately wish to have it not appear on your record. Admit you know what you did was wrong, but in light of your otherwise 25 year clean driving histopry, you have definitely been given a new sense of awareness and would greatly appreciate it if there was some way to take care of this without it affecting your insurance.

That being said, I assume you have a LA or FL DL. If it happened in AL, ther is a pretty good chance it will never be reported anyway.

Other than that, while anything is possible, it is HIGHLY unlikely that the tickewt will be thrown out because the officer made a typo.

Just saying. I have written 1000's of tickets, and I have of course put the wrong age, DOB, etc. It is still a violation and one wrong does not cancel out the one you were stopped for.

ANother thing, as has been said already, Reckless Operation here is a criminal charge like theft, murder, rape, DUI, etc. I am sure what you were cited for in AL is comperable to our Careless Operation which is a simple ticket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom