Spent case stuck in chamber

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    I was out shooting my Henry 30-30 today, and it is jammed. I fired a round, tried to work the lever, and it will not budge. The spent case is still in the chamber, and the bolt will not move more than a few millimeters.

The action on this rifle is very similar to a Marlin 336.

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to send it in?

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Try putting a cleaning rod down the barrel and tapping at the bottom of the case while you work the lever.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Place rod in barrel.

Turn gun upside down, sit the rod on the floor and let the weight of the gun rest on the rod.

Work the lever while lifting up on the gun and gently letting the gun drop down on the rod.

ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    Place rod in barrel.

Turn gun upside down, sit the rod on the floor and let the weight of the gun rest on the rod.

Work the lever while lifting up on the gun and gently letting the gun drop down on the rod.

Wow! That worked like a charm. Thank you, Leadfoot and Sugarbug.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Be sure to clean the chamber. Something, possibly powder fouling or dirt, caused the spent case to hang up.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    After cleaning, drop a round in the chamber and see if it sits fully and comes out fully.. if it does your ok, if not you might not have removed the debris or gunk ..

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    Saw a post the last couple days about how people cannot get help in this forum like they use to. Looks to me like the help is still here. Good to see this.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Saw a post the last couple days about how people cannot get help in this forum like they use to. Looks to me like the help is still here. Good to see this.

This forum used to be about guns. I, myself am guilty of posting some silliness quite often, but there are still quite a few of us around who know guns and are willing to help when asked.

Most people want others to validate their decision to buy this gun or that one, they don't really want "help".

ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe

Well, I sure did appreciate it.

Also, more on the stuck brass issue. I did give my chamber a good cleaning. I also fire a few rounds of the Monarch ammo in my 336. It ejected fine. So, I tried it again in my Henry, and, while it didn't get completely stuck, it was difficult to eject it. I then tried a Federal Power-Shok round, and it slid back out like a hot knife through butter.

30-30 factory ammo does not seem to be very standardized from brand to brand.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Place rod in barrel.

I learned something on bayoushooter today. definitely going to remember this one. :cheers:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Well, I sure did appreciate it.

Also, more on the stuck brass issue. I did give my chamber a good cleaning. I also fire a few rounds of the Monarch ammo in my 336. It ejected fine. So, I tried it again in my Henry, and, while it didn't get completely stuck, it was difficult to eject it. I then tried a Federal Power-Shok round, and it slid back out like a hot knife through butter.

30-30 factory ammo does not seem to be very standardized from brand to brand.
    Monarch ammo usually is a little hotter than any of the domestic brands and the cases seem to be made of a harder alloy. These two things are contributing factors in the stuck/sticky cases.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I had a customer a while back decide to fire some 30+ year old reloads in his brand new .308 with a Bisley match chamber. Long story short, he put a round in with a stiff bolt, hammered the bolt down, FIRED, and then bent the bolt handle trying to hammer it back open. After a good chewing I had him ship me the rifle and proceeded with a nearly full proof way to unstick even the hardest stuck cases.

Mix up a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Dextron III transmission fluid.
    Take the action out of the stock and set in a bucket with the muzzle pointed up.
    Fill the barrel with the fluid and let sit over night.
    By morning the bolt can be opened with one finger.

ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    I had a customer a while back decide to fire some 30+ year old reloads in his brand new .308 with a Bisley match chamber. Long story short, he put a round in with a stiff bolt, hammered the bolt down, FIRED, and then bent the bolt handle trying to hammer it back open. After a good chewing I had him ship me the rifle and proceeded with a nearly full proof way to unstick even the hardest stuck cases.

Mix up a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Dextron III transmission fluid.
    Take the action out of the stock and set in a bucket with the muzzle pointed up.
    Fill the barrel with the fluid and let sit over night.
    By morning the bolt can be opened with one finger.

Hope I never need to do that, but it sure sounds like good advice.

CATS

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Is your Henry new or not new? If it is new, it could also be that your chamber has some tool marks that are grabbing the expanded brass. A rusted/pitted chamber could do the same. Or you may have scored the chamber with sand/grit/metal shavings/trash. What does your extracted brass tell you? Get a magnifier and look at it closely. At any rate, as the others stated, a good cleaning should help. Look at your used patches as they come out and you may see the offending grit. AND these were factory rounds for sure and not hot hand loads-'cause if hand loads you may want to rethink what you were doing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom