Spent Two Days in Chemical Plants - Talked Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    My work as a video editor often lands me in unusual places. The last two days I've spent in several different chemical plants around Louisiana shooting interviews with plant managers, workers, and other people regarding safety. I had the opportunity to sit and have lunch with two of the top managers in charge of safety for this company.

I'd prefer not to say which company I was working for, just that it was a major one. Here's the short version of my story: You're not going to be taking your guns to any of their plants come August 15th when SB51 goes into effect.

Now the long version... Knowing what I was getting into, I decided to spend the two days completely unarmed. It was not worth the risk to our company to be caught with a weapon in my possession and I had actual work to do so I just didn't want that to always be on my mind. With that said, I could easily have carried my 2 guns and three extra mags without a problem. I was never searched or asked any questions however I was constantly bombared with signs about no firearms, ammunition, or cell phones. The cell phone ban was openly ignored by pretty much everyone.

On Day 1 during an interview on camera, one of the main safety managers confessed to being a gun fanatic and related a story about how he had to learn to shoot left handed after being blinded in one eye because of a plant accident. I made a point to ask him more about making that transition to left hand during lunch. As expected, that opened the door to more gun talk and I was quite excited to learn he has a clear 400yds to shoot on his property just a few minutes outside of Baton Rouge. I was even more excited when he invited me to come anytime to shoot. So timidly, I ask the two managers about SB51... blank stares. They had no idea what I was talking about. I briefed them on the new law but they just repeated the rules "No Guns (or ammunition) on Plant Grounds. Period." I pushed it further, the law says you have to provide an alternative lot or lock up area for the firearms. That's when the senior manager got testy and started spewing out OSHA codes and Federal regulations that supersede anything the State may pass. Bottom line, if this guy has anything to say about it, firearms aren't coming into his parking lots.

So I pushed them further, why not? Why can't employees be allowed to protect themselves? Their response, "Most of these guys don't have a brain. You don't want them out there with guns. Trust me." Of course, I found that somewhat offensive. I've often been told I don't have a brain either. What does that have to do with anything. So I ask if there are often fights between workers? They said not very often because their policy is they fire anyone on the spot who gets in a fight. Even if they don't start it? Yep.

So now he starts a story about how a good friend of theirs was "attacked" in the parking lot and he punched the guy to get away. He was fired. For defending himself in a parking lot? Yep. "Those are the rules. If you throw a punch you're fired no matter the circumstances." You can't fight off an attacker? "You can run away."

Riiight... End of my story. I really don't want to say which company this was so please don't push me for it. Just passing along the info.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My job takes me in Chemical plants all the time . I'm amazed at how pitifull the security really is . I could smuggle anything into any of those places any day of the week . They might use a dog to sniff out employee vehicles in the parking lot , but I have NEVER had a thorough search of my van upon entering . Those rent a cops have no idea how to search or what to look for .

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My job takes me in Chemical plants all the time . I'm amazed at how pitifull the security really is . I could smuggle anything into any of those places any day of the week . They might use a dog to sniff out employee vehicles in the parking lot , but I have NEVER had a thorough search of my van upon entering . Those rent a cops have no idea how to search or what to look for .

Yeah - we have a total of 4 Rosco's that rotate out at the hospital where I work, and they are not allowed to carry guns either, just a flashlight. One guy is in his upper 70's and has a limp; one is a 40 yr old black woman who weighs about 300lbs and breaths like she is about to have an asthma attack; one is a 50+ year old crazy guy and they just hired a new one, who seems half way decent, but he is in his 60's and not in the greatest shape either. Sure does makes me feel safe. :eek3:

We can not carry firearms or have any "in the hospital". There is a school that is right next to the hospital, so you know what that means.

The policies are old, so it does single out tasers. Of course there is a parking lot that is on the opposite side of the hospital, far enough from the school and off the hospital grounds. It is just across the doctor's parking lot, so I don't mind the walk. Illumination is decent at best, but there are times I am walking out to an empty parking lot well after dark. :squint:

I am about to go back to school, so I have a whole other issue I am going to have to deal with soon. *sigh* I can't wait.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When the plant managers said that "Most of these guys don't have a brain" I am hoping that he is talking about the contractors. Although I do know a few truly stupid operators and engineers, the real idiots are security, human resources, and non english speaking contractors.

Don't think that just because plant managers spout off about OSHA and other regs. that there will not be pushback from the workers. Until there is literature that specifically bans guns from plants and leaves no room for interpretation there will be pressure from us to allow us to keep guns in our vehicles.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Of course there is a parking lot that is on the opposite side of the hospital, far enough from the school and off the hospital grounds.

Why does the school come into play? Do you want to carry outside of your car? Or just leave the gun in the car?

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Why does the school come into play? Do you want to carry outside of your car? Or just leave the gun in the car?

Gun free school zone. It is literally right next to the school. I will snap some pics when I head back to work tomorrow to give you a better visual. LOL, thinking about it now, it is a "drug-free" zone also. :confused: I wonder how that works.

I would love to carry everywhere, but I respect the laws & policies in effect at the place I work (and other places) & leave it in the car safe. I do my best to stay away from places that do not allow me to carry.

Haven't been to a bar in years. My church is a small little one near Academy in Lafayette and that is the only place I frequent w/o a gun on my person. Wife is the same way. Her last job didn't restrict her from carrying, which was awesome, esp when she would travel for jobs in NOLA or Houston/Dallas jobs.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been thinking about a similar situation, and I think I've found a loophole in the law (I am not a lawyer and haven't checked this with one yet).

RS 14:95.6 B. (3.) The provisions of this Section shall not apply to: A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed security.

So it seems to me that if you're somewhere that can have armed guards (which is probably almost any business in the state), it's not a Firearm Free School Zone, even if it's right next to a school. The statute doesn't say that only the guards can have weapons, it says that an establishment that can have armed guards is not a Firearm Free Zone.

Any actual lawyers out there want to take a swing at this one? Am I right?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    All those chemical plants are trying to do is cover themselves because if someone person gets shot(anywhere on the property), that person can sue the company.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    All those chemical plants are trying to do is cover themselves because if someone person gets shot(anywhere on the property), that person can sue the company.

The law gives them immunity from that, if the injury comes from an employee's gun that was stored in accordance with the new law..

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Arounlsu, obviously you were at ExxonMobil. That is the lackofbrain set that the company has. I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to eat up all of Spanky's bandwidth.

You know, I could be wrong about the location. The other locale would be Dow. God bless me if I never have to go in that communist compound again.

Top Bottom