Spicy Jerky Marinade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunut

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Liquid smoke, cajun garlic and Tony's. Let it soak over nite. Pat dry then place in dehydrator on the lowest setting. I would do it during the day time. That way you can keep checking the progress. It will take at least 6 hours.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    That's the plan. I am going to make the marinade, slice the meat, and let it soak overnight and then start it in the morning.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not sure what model dehydrator you have but my best results require turning the thicker pieces halfway through. Also, I find the lower temp settings work best as well.

For a sweet batch, try a little molasses or even some Coca-Cola in the marinade. Coarse ground black pepper is good sprinkled and patted on after it's laid out on the tray. Soy sauce, Teriyaki sauce or a little Worcestershire is good too. My absolute favorite though is the Allegro with the clown on the label. It's available at most local stores.

Also, a very little but of the liquid smoke goes a long way.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    What kind of meat? If you want something fairly easy your first time out, try eye of round sliced across the grain. Also, if you partially freeze it first, it's much easier to slice thin enough for jerky.

I'm not sure what cut it is, but since Wal Mart has been catering to Hispanics, they now have some sort of beef (with a Spanish name) already sliced fairly thin that I have been meaning to try for jerky.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Can you guys recommend a decent dehydrator? I got my dad one for Xmas, and almost kept it for myself. It was around $40 at Academy. Would this get the job done?

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Thanks for the tip carliepapa. I read that on a few sites and was going to try it out. How thick of a slice is best? Most sites said about 1/8" is best.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    What kind of meat? If you want something fairly easy your first time out, try eye of round sliced across the grain. Also, if you partially freeze it first, it's much easier to slice thin enough for jerky.

I'm not sure what cut it is, but since Wal Mart has been catering to Hispanics, they now have some sort of beef (with a Spanish name) already sliced fairly thin that I have been meaning to try for jerky.

Let me know charliepapa when you get the jerky done, I'm the Livingston Parish Offical Jerky Taste Tester!
    Just want to keep doing my job!! LOL

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the tip carliepapa. I read that on a few sites and was going to try it out. How thick of a slice is best? Most sites said about 1/8" is best.

Yeah, but I like mine a little thicker so it's not quite as dry and a little more chewy. You'll decide on what you like after a couple batches. I find turning it keeps it from totally drying out like astronaut food before it's done. I done some crazy combinations and haven't really *ruined* any, so just experiment and remember what you did each time in case you like it.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Here was the recipe I finally used. I didn't know how much marinade I needed, but I ended up with about 2.5 lbs of meat soaking nicely. This was the original recipe, and I ended up doubling up because I wasn't sure how much marinade was needed. I am going to let it sit overnight in the fridge and then start the dehydrator in the morning.

2/3 cup worchestershire
    2/3 cup kikkoman soy sauce
    2 tsp tabasco
    tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp liquid heat-hickory flavor

Landry308

Class 3/SOT/Houma LA
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Houma
    If you really want spicy, use straight Allegro "Hot and Spicy", soak for 1 hour in marinade if sliced thin. Longer if thick.

I've tried many recipe's over the years, here is my favorite:

one 10oz bottle LaChoy Soy sauce
    5oz water
    ~2-3oz Liquid Hickory smoke
    1 teaspoon garlic puree
    1/3 pound dark brown sugar.
    ~1 tbsp crushed red pepper

Mix well, soak meat for 1 hour if sliced thin. Don't pat dry, just take out of the marinade, onto the rack. I use the large muscles from the deer's hind quarters. Have your meat about 1/2 way frozen to help to slice thin. I use electric slicer. Dehydrate for ~12 hours for crunchy/very dry. when you put it on dehydrator, sprinkle lightly with coarse ground black pepper.

another good one:

10oz LaChoy Soy sauce
    5oz water
    ~1/3 or 1/2 bottle "Zea's Thai Rib Sauce" (very spicy)

same instructions

Last edited:
    Top Bottom