Spotting scope help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Looking for an inexpensive spotting scope to take to the range. Looking for something that I can use to see my target/shots at 300 yards. I would like to keep the cost in the $200-$250 range.
    Has anyone used the Bushnell Trophy Spotting Scope 20-60x65? Here is a link. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=5354&dir=25|26|579

How about Cabelas spotting scopes? I know you get what you pay for buy I will only be using it at the range and we only have a 300 yard range. Any help would be appreciated.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    You will probably have a hard time seeing bullet holes at 300yds even with the most expensive scopes like the high dollar Kowas. I see a lot of Konus scopes on the line that shoot High Power. You want the largest (80mm up) objective size you can afford. Jim Owens has a pretty good review on his site.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Yeah. Maybe I should just take my sons telescope to the range. Lol. It may look funny but it would make life easier while trying to sight in a rifle at 200 yards.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    The Konus 20-60x80 Konuspot Spotting Scope is good bang for the buck.
    Buy the angled if you are looking to use it from a prone position.
    I bought mine on sale for $200

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I have two of the Champion's Choice branded scopes with fixed power eyepieces, one straight and one 45 degree. The 45 degree eyepiece is much preferable to the straight scope.

http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Champions_Choice-576.aspx

I also have one of the variable scopes (with a 45 eyepiece) but wouldn't recommend it. Too much problems with vignetting at higher magnification.

With scopes and binoculars, get the best you can afford. Kowa would be my hands-down choice if I could afford it.

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    With scopes and binoculars, get the best you can afford. Kowa would be my hands-down choice if I could afford it.

Yeah but I can't justify spending over $250 just to sight in rifles. If I were using it for hunting or if i shot competition it would be a different story.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Yeah but I can't justify spending over $250 just to sight in rifles. If I were using it for hunting or if i shot competition it would be a different story.

So what are you using it for? I think a steel target where you could here the report would suit you better than a spotting scope.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Spending even $250 is a waste if you literally only plan to use it once. If the only reason you want it is to sight in your rifle, then just borrow one. Find out when a fellow member will be at the range and go at the same time.

If you want something to bring out every time you shoot. Buy something nice. I think it was the Bushnell Trophy that I borrowed one time at Nick's. It was awful. I had a hard time seeing holes at 25-50 yards. It may just have problems focusing that closely, but I am not sure. It also caused a lot of eye strain. I was originally looking at buying something around the same price, but after using that one eventually decided to go all the way; I bought a Kowa from Jim Owens. The price I got from him was substantially lower than I could find anywhere else, and I looked all over.

Top Bottom