Spotting scope

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone have any suggestions about a decent spotting scope that I can use to sight in my rifle with? Ill be shooting at the 300M range and I just want something that will let me see the holes in the paper. I would like it to have a tripod and case as well. Im really not interested in spending over $200... and I know that for a "good" scope you'll have to spend quite a bit more than that. So far from what I've read and heard, this spotting scope will fill my needs. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20762&hasJS=true

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I have been getting by with an el-cheapo Bushnell spotting scope from Academy. It sure beats the hell out of walking to check my shots! As long as you aren't planning on hooking a camera up to it to photograph insects from 300 yards, you should be OK with just about any spotting scope in the $99 to $200 range.

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    I have a similar scope to what you linked (15X-60X). It's good for 100 yds with .30 cal bullets, but I haven't tried to see holes with it beyond that. I have used a spotter with it at 500 yds to spot the fall of my shot against a berm. Something else to remember is the contrast of your target. Black holes in a black background are hard to find at any range. If you were using a shoot-n-c type target I think this would be good at 300 yds. But at that range I think you would be better served by a 120X scope, which Winchester also makes. I also HIGHLY recommend a micro adjustable tripod. A regular camera type tripod just doesn't give you the fine adjustment you need at those magnifications. I bought this one for cheap. It works fine, but won't take a lot of abuse.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/newcetrmiadh.html

;)

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I see that Academy Sports has that 15X-60X 60mm for a cheaper price than the other Winchester one I posted about above. I'll probably go get one next week.

3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    If it's like mine it will come in a nice black case with a cheesy camera tripod, and a - be still my heart! - window clamp for spying from your car! :D

But it is a good case, and a decent scope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom