Spring Garden

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Who's got theirs' in? Had to move mine due to the ground in the original area not drying out.
    Got 2 rows of green bean, 1 row of peppers, 4 rows of corn and 1 row of purple hull peas.
    spring garden.jpg

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Picked a few early girls for the seasons first fried green tomatoes, my purple Cherokee tomatoes have doubled in size over the last week. My peppers, cucumbers and eggplants are doing well. I'm not sure what's going on with my strawberries they are tiny but sweet. I'll try to get a few picks together tomorrow.
    My wife's herbs are doing pretty good I think she has some rosemary, basil, oregano ect, in a large clay pot.
    My fruit trees are going strong. Satsuma is absolutely loaded, Myers lemon is gonna make fruit for the time. I'm pretty sure I lost my Blood orange due to the freeze though it was covered and had a lamp on it. Oriental pears are doing well also. I planted 3 blueberry bushes and they have a lot of fruit on them though I've heard the quality on the first crop is usually sub par.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Got boiler, yellow, green, and red onions, green, yellow, red, orange, and snacking bell peppers, cucumbers, regular garlic, elephant garlic(it is actually a leek), jalapenos, poblanos, kale, guava, basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, and sweet, chocolate, and orange mints.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Got boiler, yellow, green, and red onions, green, yellow, red, orange, and snacking bell peppers, cucumbers, regular garlic, elephant garlic(it is actually a leek), jalapenos, poblanos, kale, guava, basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, and sweet, chocolate, and orange mints.

No real food?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Unfortunately the yard is too small for cows, though I may take to slaughtering guinea pigs or chinchillas

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Uhh, rabbits? Chickens? Ducks?

I have a pet rabbit, so they are out of the question, don't have water for the ducks, and the chickens are too loud. I like the quiet, and aside from screaming chinchillas don't make too much noise. Plus they make excellent gloves, coats, and other clothing.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have a pet rabbit, so they are out of the question, don't have water for the ducks, and the chickens are too loud. I like the quiet, and aside from screaming chinchillas don't make too much noise. Plus they make excellent gloves, coats, and other clothing.

You do know a little plastic kiddy pool is enough water for ducks... Right?

Also:
    Consider quail.
    https://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/tag/quail

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    tomato, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, poblano pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley, green onions, cantelope and 9 more blackberry plants in the ground

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I decided to downsize this year and so I could move it closer to the house to make it easier to keep adequate water on everything and be able to work in it more while keeping a eye on the kids. I ended up with 9 60' rows. I have 2 rows of okra (long horn), 4 of corn (incredible), 2 or purple hull peas (pink eye cow pea), and the last one is 1/2 pole beans (Kentucky wonder), cucumber, tomato, and peppers. I also have a few hills of watermelon.

I put the strawberries in 4 planters like this close to the house for the girls to be able to pick.

Just about everything is up, there are a few bare spots in the purple hull that i need to replant.
    This pic is from last week.

Top Bottom