Springfield 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge had some SA 1911's last weekend. My friend had a SA 1911 that had some extractor/ejecting problems. Sometimes you might get the lemon out of the bunch.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You might check out the Ruger. They don't have front slide serrations. I have one and it's a pretty nice gun.

Written by someone that owns many 1911's. NOT ME!

Ruger SR1911

The next entry is one of the newest 1911s on the market at the time of this writing and Ruger's first entry into the 1911 world. The model is rightfully named the SR1911 and has taken the entry level market by surprise this year. It offers very good value for $650. Here we have full stainless construction, a nicely contoured beavertail grip safety, a beveled magwell, a good trigger, white dot combat sights, a steel mainspring housing, and beautiful double diamond wood grips with the Ruger emblem inlayed on each side. Roll markings are minimal, with "Ruger Made in USA" on the left side and simply the Ruger emblem stamped on the right. These markings coupled with the absence of front cocking serrations make the SR one of the nicest looking 1911s on the current market. Another feature of this gun that I like is actually something that was left out, a firing pin safety. I don't like any of them and this gun is true to original spec in that aspect. The SR1911 also uses a standard GI plug up front and a single sided thumb safety. All in all, we have a new 1911 selling for $650 with all the features you need and none that you don't in a very attractive package. Couple that with the fact that its built entirely in the United states by the largest gun manufacturer in the world and we have something that's almost too good to be true. Naturally, this gun performed flawlessly at the range with the limited number of rounds I have through it and all reviews that I have read have been overwhelmingly positive. I think Ruger may have the best entry level 1911 on the market, but they need to catch up to demand to somehow keep prices stable.

This 1911 uses no firing pin safety.

Unloaded weight: 38.8oz

Slide: Forged stainless steel

Frame: Cast stainless steel

Country of origin: United States

Approximate 2011 street price: $650

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    +1 for the Springfield Loaded! No complaints, over 2500 rounds through mine. I let it go over 1000 without cleaning just to see what would happen. It got hinky, the slide slowed down, but it never misfired! I cleaned it and its running great again...

Top Bottom