squirell hunting in Sherburne WMA ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XLMike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Crowley La
    We went saturday to Sherburne WMA to hunt squirell and some rabbit
    we seen the back side of one squirell all day 8hours
    we went to many locations there and probly walked 7miles through out that place

does anyone know of a good place to hunt the little rats
    if so please shoot me a pm or post on this page

my son was very upset and I wanna make it up to him this is his first year hunting and mine in Sherburne WMA

thanks to all those who will help

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Go along the Bayou que de Tortue, along the Mermentau swamp, behind Morse, near where the bayou joins the river.

The riverine swamps along the upper Bayou Plaquemine (Bayou Plaquemines Brulee) near Roberts Cove and the Link community may still also be good.

One must be very, very quiet to be successful with squirrels.

How old is your son? He must learn to be patient; it is "hunting", not "killing". If you-all are very quiet, you should enjoy your outing, kill or no.

Up behind Lawson's, off Hwy13 North, in the piney woods, there are lots of squirrels.

leVieux
    New Orleans

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I go to Sherburne and Indian Bayou very often. That adds up to the success I have: the backside of one all day long. Doc is right, though... hunt along water and you'll have better success.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Go along the Bayou que de Tortue, along the Mermentau swamp, behind Morse, near where the bayou joins the river.

The riverine swamps along the upper Bayou Plaquemine (Bayou Plaquemines Brulee) near Roberts Cove and the Link community may still also be good.

One must be very, very quiet to be successful with squirrels.

How old is your son? He must learn to be patient; it is "hunting", not "killing". If you-all are very quiet, you should enjoy your outing, kill or no.

Up behind Lawson's, off Hwy13 North, in the piney woods, there are lots of squirrels.

leVieux
    New Orleans

agreed! there was plenty of times I spent days on end deer hunting with nothing to show for it, but i loved every minute of it.

XLMike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Crowley La
    yea I know what yall mean but try to teach a 6yr old patience not an easy task to complete

that place by mermentau swamp can you give me a few directions if possible Im not from this area so I dont know it well at all

I wanna spend a day hunting game not a place

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    QUOTE: "I wanna spend a day hunting game not a place"; What does that mean?

A 6 y.o. is too young for squirrel. Try taking him dove hunting, where he can move & talk between your shot opportunities.

Acadia Parish is mostly divided into numerous small land holdings; and, one of the biggest swamps, the Bayou Plaquemines swamp, was ruined when the Corps of Engineers "channelized" the bayou back in the late 1950's.

Get yourself a topo map. Go to Morse, between Midland & Gueydan, get off the main roads towards the West, and you will find dirt roads leading back into the riverine swamps of the Bayou Que de Tortue and the Mermentau River. When the dirt road gets too rough, get on foot and walk down the road until you hit water, procede quietly & very slowly along the swanp's edge.

Ask anyone with a 4wD pickup. Also, hit a few of the beer joints in rural areas, the locals will invite you to their properties.

For squirrel, you may have to try 2 or 3 different places in a day.

If you have a small boat, put some carpet scraps in it for silence, put the boat into any small bayou, and float downstream while watching & listening. If you make ANY noise, you can't hunt squirrels.

The locals in the smaller communities around Crowley are very welcoming and will help you. Same for Vermillion & Cameron parishes.

Where are you from, anyway?

leVieux

XLMike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Crowley La
    I stay in crowley on standard mill

I have no boat just a 4x4 tahoe

ive also tried talking to people that are hunters but not a whole lot of info from them
    most land owners in the area and surrounding areas are not to open to the idea of strangers hunting on there land since some ppl like to ruin property with 4x4s or sue for injury but with all that said any ideas of place you or anyone have will not go untouched and dove hunting sounds fun and im sure he would love it

thanks again for the advice

Top Bottom