squirrels / rabbits ... 22 magnum??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    22 Mag will be fine for both if you are hunting casually, but to be totally honest unless you have all day to shoot and are not hungry I would use a shotgun..

It doesn't take very long to shoot a limit of squirrels with a .22. If you aren't running dogs, .22s will get all of the rabbits you need.

A shotgun is such an uncivilized tool.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It doesn't take very long to shoot a limit of squirrels with a .22. If you aren't running dogs, .22s will get all of the rabbits you need.

A shotgun is such an uncivilized tool.

I put the shotgun in the closet for the marlin 22lr a long time ago for squirrels. I got so tired of biting into the shot pellets; and when you gut shot them, yuck!

There is nothing more plesureable than taking them with 22lr. The search, the stalk, closing the distance, love it!

Alas, too windy to go this morning! :(

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    I prefer to use a 22 lr but when I moved to the Ft Polk area and hunt there I use the 22 magnum with both FMJ and Hollow point, standard Winchester loads in a Marlin 25.
    The reason is Hogs I run into them many times and kill them clean with the 22 magnum up to 300 pounds. The FMJ kills squirrel clean about like a 22 lr, while a 22 mag hollow point or fmj will kill a hog with a brain shot instantly. A lung shot is about like a bow kill with either round but it leaves a good blood trail.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I put the shotgun in the closet for the marlin 22lr a long time ago for squirrels. I got so tired of biting into the shot pellets; and when you gut shot them, yuck!

There is nothing more plesureable than taking them with 22lr. The search, the stalk, closing the distance, love it!

Alas, too windy to go this morning! :(

My experience as well.

A scoped 22LR will do so much, with good ammo and practice. My Marlin 60 has sent many, many squirrels to the table. And a bunny or two when they showed their face.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom