St George

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have to disagree with you . The " R " word still carries weight with a lot of folks . That's why it's still the Go-to in most debates .
    You may be right, but for me, it's an instant dismissal unless you've already presented extensive evidence of intelligence. It wasn't always that way for me, but it is now. I guess I saw it used too often on really good people just to try to manipulate them.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have to disagree with you . The " R " word still carries weight with a lot of folks . That's why it's still the Go-to in most debates .
    Maybe so, but it’s quickly losing clout. There seems to be a nationwide rebuke of the word. I’ve seen plenty of folks in vids become immediately dismissive when someone throws the racism card.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You may be right, but for me, it's an instant dismissal unless you've already presented extensive evidence of intelligence. It wasn't always that way for me, but it is now. I guess I saw it used too often on really good people just to try to manipulate them.
    There are still plenty of folks that are terrified at the thought of being labelled as a racist .

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    So take a look at these blurbs from Wikipedia regarding Miami Gardens, FL, as one example:

" It is Florida's most populous city with a majority African American population and also home to the largest percentage of African Americans (66.97 percent) of any city in Florida, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.[5"

"In the wake of the construction of I-95 in the late 1960s, many middle- and upper-income African American and West Indian American families migrated from Miami neighborhoods like Liberty City to what became Miami Gardens (also called Carol City, Norland, or Norwood) as race-based covenants were outlawed with the Fair Housing Act, and mostly lower income blacks moved into the Liberty City and Little Haiti neighborhoods surrounding Liberty Square and Edison Courts.

Miami Gardens was incorporated on May 13, 2003.[4] The city's neighborhoods of Andover, Bunche Park, Carol City, Lake Lucerne, Norland, Opa-locka North, and Scott Lake were previously unincorporated areas within Miami-Dade County.

In 2007, Mayor Shirley Gibson said that the city would no longer allow any low-income housing developments; many residents blamed the developments for spreading crime and recreational drugs throughout the city. Around that time, the city's tax revenues dropped to the third-lowest in Miami-Dade County.[6]

In 2012, Oliver Gilbert, only the second mayor the city has had, proposed forming a community redevelopment agency (CRA).[7] CRAs are formed to remove "slum and blight", to improve the physical environment of the city and to combat the social and economic problems typical of slum areas. CRAs are funded with property tax increases, which funds are used, in part, to stimulate private investment in the rehabilitation of the community.[7]"

So middle and upper income people moved out of older neighborhoods to more affluent neighborhoods, and the older neighborhoods were subsequently filled with lower income people. The middle and upper income people then formed their own city out of their new neighborhoods, and rather quickly began taking measures to keep the lower income people out, as it seems that such actions may decrease crime and improve quality of life. So, no cries of foul about more affluent black people doing that to less affluent black people, but if the more affluent people happen to be white, then race HAS to be the motivation, not the same motivation for better prosperity, safety, and quality of life. There will forever be a percentage of the population that will ALWAYS see EVERY situation ONLY through that lens.

Sodoodle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    The mayor may not be able to get much done, but she sure did a good job of getting the media and many others on board with this 'wealthy white enclace' narrative of hers. 90% of St. George is composed of apartments, condos made from old apartment complexes, and smaller, older homes built in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240502_155948_Facebook.jpg
      Screenshot_20240502_155948_Facebook.jpg
      239.2 KB · Views: 19

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The mayor may not be able to get much done, but she sure did a good job of getting the media and many others on board with this 'wealthy white enclace' narrative of hers. 90% of St. George is composed of apartments, condos made from old apartment complexes, and smaller, older homes built in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's.
    Divide and conquer ...

copter wrench

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    My son lives in ST. George and I asked him these questions, he didn't know the answers. maybe you guys can answer them. If ST. George was part of Baton Rouge then BR taxes bought and paid for all city government property and equipment. Schools, parks, Police buildings, vehicles, water lines, sewer lines, drainage systems, electrical systems and transmission lines and all the roads. The BR city owns the property these are built on, paid by all citizens through taxes. Will ST. George buy these properties from BR? What if BR says they are not for sale, but we will lease them to you.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My son lives in ST. George and I asked him these questions, he didn't know the answers. maybe you guys can answer them. If ST. George was part of Baton Rouge then BR taxes bought and paid for all city government property and equipment. Schools, parks, Police buildings, vehicles, water lines, sewer lines, drainage systems, electrical systems and transmission lines and all the roads. The BR city owns the property these are built on, paid by all citizens through taxes. Will ST. George buy these properties from BR? What if BR says they are not for sale, but we will lease them to you.
    BR does not own the electrical system nor the water company . Parish rds will still be maintained by EBR and State rds will be maintained by DOTD . You're way overthinking that part of it . The City of Central did this same thing a number of years ago .

Sodoodle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    St. George was neve a part of the city of Baton Rouge. St. George is a part of the parish of East Baton Rouge - always has been and always will be, so no change there. Everything you named is in the purview of the parish government and will remain so. There are no properties to buy from Baton Rouge (city) because every property that was in the city limits of BR prior to St. George incorporation is still in the city limits of BR. The city did not lose any property or residents -The entire area of the new St. George was always outstide city limits of BR.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    LOL! Awesome. From 1969-1976 I lived at 1925 Stanford drive in Village St George. I went back to look at the old starter home my parents once owned and was amazed at how small it was, how small the yard was. The first yard I ever mowed. I’m proud for the people there. I hope everything works in their favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom