St. Tammany Firearm Ordinance = Cant Shoot Anywhere in the Parish!?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    I believe you might be correct in their intent. When laws are selectively enforced on "those people" and not the ones who are connected and in power, it opens the door to acts of gross injustice. All citizens are equal under the law. For it not to be tainted, the law must maintain fairness and impartiality. If the law is allowed to be unevenly applied, it strays from its main purpose as a social instrument for achieving the higher concept of justice.

Laws written overly broad like this one or with the intent of selective enforcement are indicative of lazy law makers. They need to be shown the light by concerned constituents.

I am up for participating in an effort to address this. I would not be the best to lead this as I am new to LA and am not familiar with local customs, mannerisms, local personalities etc... Anyone feel free to PM me to organize.

HUGE ups in this post!!

Of course youre not from here. I KNEW you werent from here from your first post. I could tell right away by how repulsed you were by this situation, how you are concerned for equal applicability under the law and how you combined your thoughts and wrote in an intelligent manner. We need more people like you in this state. Thanks for choosing Louisiana!

Last edited:

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Im really busy right now so I cant really take the lead either on this but I can certainly help out and try to attend meetings. Its doing the research and leg work to get it on the councils agenda that I dont have time to attend to. If someone wanted to take charge on this I would love to get behind them on it.

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Seriously. Whose going to pick the ball up on this thing?

I want to buy my retirement land and I want to know I can plink on it without being harassed into submission.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay, this is a disturbing problem that needs to be addressed. Why is it not being enforced if it is on the books? What actions have been and can be taken to resolve this issue? Is the LSA aware of this? Has anyone contacted the sheriff or elected officials for clarification? What can we do to bring a collective and organized voice to the table?
    Perhaps we can work towards refining the law. Even with a backstop, I would not want someone shooting a 50 BMG in my typical suburban neighborhood. That does not mean I don't want someone with some land to hunt or target shoot with a firearm.

Many years ago, I realized that we (collectively the citizenry of the US), would over regulate ourselves with so many "warm & fuzzy feel good" laws, that we would one day wake up and look around and say; "What the F did we do?"

This issue is no different. Someone thought that this ordinance would put out a small fire (most likely, and I would bet; a selfish personal goal or issue they had with a neighbor, hunters, trespassers, etc.), and instead of throwing a cup of water on it, they drained a lake and flooded every thing. Gun ordinances aren't part of a zoning plan. Gun ordinances are a part of someone's personal issues or histories with people with guns.

As for selective enforcement? Ha! If anyone actually looks at the municipal code of their respective Parish, much worse the RS's of Louisiana; you would see how utterly ridiculous this all really is. Think about this for a minute; Look how many bills are filed in the Legislature each session alone. Really? We are lacking that many rules and regulations on ourselves that we need 1300 bills every 2 years?

We are a stupid species!

nola000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Lacombe
    Many years ago, I realized that we (collectively the citizenry of the US), would over regulate ourselves with so many "warm & fuzzy feel good" laws, that we would one day wake up and look around and say; "What the F did we do?"

This issue is no different. Someone thought that this ordinance would put out a small fire (most likely, and I would bet; a selfish personal goal or issue they had with a neighbor, hunters, trespassers, etc.), and instead of throwing a cup of water on it, they drained a lake and flooded every thing. Gun ordinances aren't part of a zoning plan. Gun ordinances are a part of someone's personal issues or histories with people with guns.

As for selective enforcement? Ha! If anyone actually looks at the municipal code of their respective Parish, much worse the RS's of Louisiana; you would see how utterly ridiculous this all really is. Think about this for a minute; Look how many bills are filed in the Legislature each session alone. Really? We are lacking that many rules and regulations on ourselves that we need 1300 bills every 2 years?

We are a stupid species!

I like you.
    6ebbdea2a617aac459dc10032856eec3.jpg

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I know this is an ancient thread but a lot of us have ancient profiles so I'm hoping some feedback givers are still active... this particular ordinance recently reared it's ugly head on someone I know and someone I've shot with, on their private range on their property. It's got a well constructed burm and backstop, with nothing but open woods behind it. And it's been shot on for years. Now all of a sudden, someone who's also been known to shoot on their neighboring property doesn't want others to be able to shoot

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I know this is an ancient thread but a lot of us have ancient profiles so I'm hoping some feedback givers are still active... this particular ordinance recently reared it's ugly head on someone I know and someone I've shot with, on their private range on their property. It's got a well constructed burm and backstop, with nothing but open woods behind it. And it's been shot on for years. Now all of a sudden, someone who's also been known to shoot on their neighboring property doesn't want others to be able to shoot
    Your best option is probably going to be to start a petition, which you will present to the parish council. If enough people show up and make enough noise, maybe you'll make headway.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    St Tamany parish is one of those place where the people with the money always win. Interesting government and sheriff department over there. I wouldn’t want to live or own property there.
    This has definitely urged me to look elsewhere for dirt to buy

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    My thoughts only. They want a written law on the books so that if there is ever a complaint they have an ordinance to cite when they write you up. This was tried here in Ascension Parish. We started grassroots opposition and defeated it, not to say that it won't be brought up here again. Law enforcement has to have a defined law to refer to when answering a complaint. Looks like this new St Tammany ordinance covers it all.
    Yes, the ability to selectively enforce laws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom