St. Tammany Sheriff no longer signing off

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    So aren't there new trust rules that say you still need a CLEO signature for everyone named in the trust?

27 CFR Part 479 of the Federal Register is the proposal for the extension of the CLEO signature, you have until December 9th (I think, it is in the Federal Register if you look it up) 2013 to get in your public opinion.

*edit* forgot it was Part 479 ... left out a number.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    The CLEO signature has been challenged at least one time that I know of. The case was thrown out because the guy challenging it hadn't exhausted all of the people on the list that can sign. I think we would have a better shot at challenging it at the state level. I know I would be willing to throw some money up to sue some of the CLEO's that won't sign especially if the proposal goes through. There would be a defacto ban on NFA in any parishes where CLEO refuse to sign.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The one thing I learned with my Safety Engineering degree is always just read the Summary of the Proposed Law, Rule,etc... posted in the FR.

Aha! Good call! I found it.

SUMMARY: The Department of Justice
    proposes amending Bureau of Alcohol,
    Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
    (ATF) regulations that concern more ways
    to screw US citizens that want to exercise
    their legal Right to bear arms. By doing this
    the AG will add more layers of bureaucratic
    ******** for people to wade through; along
    with rings of fire to dive through and all in
    an effort to bring to light how easy it is to
    circumvent the Constitution of the US.

;)

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    To not be a dick head that tramples on the rights of the people in his parish/city ?

ETA: Also, it's not like he has any liability by signing it, if the person does something wrong with it.

Does he have a legal liability I don't think so.
    But If he signs off on a "Item" and that "item" is used to quietly shoot up class room after class room in a local school don't you think whoever runs against him in the next election is gonna win? "Sure they would"
    If you don't like his choice to not sign then run against him and sign all you like. Voters put a person in office then whine about what they do in office.
    I think it should be no different than buying a gun. Walk in run me though nics if I pass give me my whatever "item" it is I'm after. But that's too simple.
    It will only be 20 years or so before y'all are crying because the CLEO won't sign for you to buy a G-19 or shotgun!

Last edited:

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    But If he signs off on a "Item" and that "item" is used to quietly shoot up class room after class room in a local school don't you think whoever runs against him in the next election is gonna win? "Sure they would"
    If you don't like his choice to not sign then run against him and sign all you like. Voters put a person in office then whine about what they do in office.
    I think it should be no different than buying a gun. Walk in run me though nics if I pass give me my whatever "item" it is I'm after. But that's too simple.
    It will only be 20 years or so before y'all are crying because the CLEO won't sign for you to buy a G-19 or shotgun!

That is the worst argument for rebuttal I have ever read. If he signs off on it after you have submitted all your paperwork and you have passed a NICS background check, what is the difference in just buying a gun and shooting up a school, or buying an axe from Academy and doing the same, like CLEO is going to not be voted in because of something like that. He is just doing his part on behalf of the federal regulations set into place inside the federal register which everyone can read and send in their opinions on. Him not signing off on them, with no apparent reason to it goes against legal owners rights and in a state like Louisiana where just about everyone owns a gun THAT will not get you re-elected.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I understand where you're coming from but the sheriff will never really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like legal.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    That is the worst argument for rebuttal I have ever read. If he signs off on it after you have submitted all your paperwork and you have passed a NICS background check, what is the difference in just buying a gun and shooting up a school, or buying an axe from Academy and doing the same, like CLEO is going to not be voted in because of something like that. He is just doing his part on behalf of the federal regulations set into place inside the federal register which everyone can read and send in their opinions on. Him not signing off on them, with no apparent reason to it goes against legal owners rights and in a state like Louisiana where just about everyone owns a gun THAT will not get you re-elected.

Show me the law that says he "has" to sign it just because your good to go?
    The problem is not the CLEO it's the federal regulations.

If you think that taking a SBR and shooting up a local school then connecting one sole elected CLEOs name to it won't kill his reelection well then you should run for office for sure.

I hate the law. And I wish every CLEO would sign but I can't fault them for their choice.

Oh and I'm not looking to argue I stated my opinion that's all.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    Show me the law that says he "has" to sign it just because your good to go?
    The problem is not the CLEO it's the federal regulations.

If you think that taking a SBR and shooting up a local school then connecting one sole elected CLEOs name to it won't kill his reelection well then you should run for office for sure.

I hate the law. And I wish every CLEO would sign but I can't fault them for their choice.

Oh and I'm not looking to argue I stated my opinion that's all.

You did argue, I never said he "has" to sign it. I said not signing them for legal owners will not get you re-elected. The CLEO has to take responsibility for multiple things outside of a signature that are far more grasping at his election results. If he didn't sign any of them, then on those terms he technically would have to do nothing because no were is it stated he must do anything outside "X" responsibility of generic CLEO. If he had some argue-mental facts on why he could not sign off on legal owners of these items and made a press conference or at least released a statement that would be one thing, but just blindly saying no is just not going to cut it.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You did argue, I never said he "has" to sign it. I said not signing them for legal owners will not get you re-elected. The CLEO has to take responsibility for multiple things outside of a signature that are far more grasping at his election results. If he didn't sign any of them, then on those terms he technically would have to do nothing because no were is it stated he must do anything outside "X" responsibility of generic CLEO. If he had some argue-mental facts on why he could not sign off on legal owners of these items and made a press conference or at least released a statement that would be one thing, but just blindly saying no is just not going to cut it.

We will see if any of the CLEOs that "don't" sign get re elected I'm sure they will. I would rather find a way to get the law changed so it isn't up to any one person.

djdig

F@ck Me Right?
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Thibodaux, La
    We will see if any of the CLEOs that "don't" sign get re elected I'm sure they will. I would rather find a way to get the law changed so it isn't up to any one person.

All you have to do is read the FR's and unless it is an executive rule change, I don't know of any one that is not open for public debate and opinion. If you read just past the summary they will always have the address you can send your paperwork into and if there are meetings coming up they will give the time and location so that you can voice your opinion.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Mouthpiece did mine. As for cost, I Havnt seen it posted so maybe there is a reason. Let's just say it is a lot less than the number in the above post and done by someone that can answer any question you have on the issue and will be there for future support/ questions.
    There are ways to do a trust super cheap, but getting one customized to you is best. Mouthpiece can accommodate.

Top Bottom