Stangest thing you've seen while fishing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrfount

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Livingston, La
    While I was launching at Madisonville, to head out into Ponchatrain, I watched a local cop kissing on a woman that pulled up in a car next to his duty truck. When I pulled up to park my truck the were both in front of his truck. He had one hand leaning on the hood of his truck staring at the top of her head and all you could see of her was the top of her head bobbing, always regretted not calling the cops on him.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    2 Good ones.....lived in Key Largo for about five years and fished ALOT, Dolphin, Wahoo, and Tuna eat the baitfish that gather under floating debris there(here to but not like there) so while fishing you are always on the lookout for something in the water. We spotted something in the distance and ran to troll around it, when we got there, it was four Cubans on a raft made out of big inner tubes and plywood. We called the Coast Guard they said to give them food and water but not to allow them on our boat.(no **** sherlock) We gave them a six pack of bud and a bag of fritos, then proceeded to troll around them and pick up 4 nice dolphin, we stayed in the vicinity till they coasties got there then moved on.
    The strangest thing we ever came upon was a tree, I know not very strange at fist thought, but this tree was 60 miles offshore and sticking 50-75 ft out of the water! We saw it from a long way off and had no idea what it was till we got closer, then ..........man what a tree. The trunk was maybe 6-9 feet around and there was a huge root structure intact maybe 100-125 ft below the surface and son you have never seen so many Dolphin, and Wahoo in your life! We caught all the fish we wanted called several friends on the radio and left em biting after a few hours. I told a couple friends that were Rangers about it and they said that along the east coast of South America it was common to have huge mud slides that dump big ass trees like that in the water and that they git up in the loop current and make there way around to the Keys.

If you had all that on video you would be a rich man by now. Good story!

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Was fishing in Bayou Magazille which connects Belle River to Lake Verret in the early 80's and thought I saw a hammerhead shark swimming slowly towards my boat. I knew it couldn't be what I thought I was seeing. As it got closer and swam under my boat I could see that it was a 6 to 7' gar with about a 4-5lb bass in its mouth.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    While I was launching at Madisonville, to head out into Ponchatrain, I watched a local cop kissing on a woman that pulled up in a car next to his duty truck. When I pulled up to park my truck the were both in front of his truck. He had one hand leaning on the hood of his truck staring at the top of her head and all you could see of her was the top of her head bobbing, always regretted not calling the cops on him.

Don't make any assumptions. Maybe she was assisting him with his radiator hose....:chuckles:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Fishing ponds in Lacombe with a buddy, and had our catch on a stringer staked to the shore. We saw a lot of commotion with all the fish flapping around and when we pulled the stringer up there was a moccasin latched onto one of the catfish. He held on as we pulled them ashore, and my friend stuck a switchblade through the moccasin right behind his head, pinning him to the ground. He released the cat and we threw the stringer back in, then pulled the knife out. The moccasin slithered off as if nothing had happened to him and swam off across the pond, we watched him for a while and he seemed to have no problem from the wound.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Fishing ponds in Lacombe with a buddy, and had our catch on a stringer staked to the shore. We saw a lot of commotion with all the fish flapping around and when we pulled the stringer up there was a moccasin latched onto one of the catfish. He held on as we pulled them ashore, and my friend stuck a switchblade through the moccasin right behind his head, pinning him to the ground. He released the cat and we threw the stringer back in, then pulled the knife out. The moccasin slithered off as if nothing had happened to him and swam off across the pond, we watched him for a while and he seemed to have no problem from the wound.

Should have put an end to that moccasin...

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm pretty sure I saw someone shoot himself in the leg a few months back. I was putting in on Cheniere lake when a rusty blue 70's pickup pulled up over at the brushy side of the launch parking lot, where people go to avoid prying eyes. Two guys get out, and the passenger sticks a pistol in his waistband. They head into the bushes, and a minute or so later BAM! They both come hauling ass out of the bushes, the passenger limping like hell, hop into the truck, and burn rubber. I waited a few minutes to make sure they weren't coming back before I went over and checked the area, sure enough there was a blood trail.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I came up on a guy who's motor broke down, and he did not have a paddle. Dude was throwing his anchor as far as he could, then pulling the rope. He was exhausted and had blisters covering his hands by the time we arrived.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Those where great stories. The cubans with the fritos and beer had me rolling. I can only imagine. Did they just chill and drink the bear while you caught fish?

I kid you not after we threw them the chips and beer they were screaming "America!! America" I couldn't blame em, they had been here a couple hours and the first people they met gave em beer and chips!!!

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    mine is no where near as funny as any of y'alls.....

So, we fish the ATchafalaya Bay, we were fishin out there one day for red and specks, using artificial minnows, couple seagulls and pelicans flyin around, few porpoises, a small bull shark, the normal.

Well, my uncle threw out, and a sea gull ran into the line as it was in the air. (not the bait, just the line) about 20 feet behind the bait. The line wrapped around one of the gulls legs, bait landed in the water. The gull kept tryin to get away, and at the same time, was pulling the bait in and out of the water. Well, one of the times right after the bait hit the water again, a decent sized speck hit it.

number 2: I throw out and a seagull nabs my bait mid air, I guess when he realized it was not food, he let it go, but the hook caught him in the wing.....unhooking a pissed off seagull....not fun....

number 3 small gator, about 3 foot, sitting outside our houseboat on the bank, I throw the line across his snout, he snaps at it, holds on, and I drag him up to the houseboat, where my buddy procedes to attempt to grab the gator...gator takes off....I throw again, (gator went right back to the same spot) this time, he only hits the tail of the bait, ripping the rubber/latex bait off the hook, and proceeds, for the next 3 hours, to try to chew that thing up....was funny to watch.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Twin tornados crossing Lake Boudreaux. It was my first tornado sighting and I felt very vulnerable out there. I felt like I was looking at the Devil himself.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I kid you not after we threw them the chips and beer they were screaming "America!! America" I couldn't blame em, they had been here a couple hours and the first people they met gave em beer and chips!!!

:rofl:

It's suppose to be the land of "milk & honey", but I guess beer & chips will do. :D

Art

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    number 2: I throw out and a seagull nabs my bait mid air, I guess when he realized it was not food, he let it go, but the hook caught him in the wing.....unhooking a pissed off seagull....not fun....

Had the same thing happen to me with a pelican. You don't realize how sharp the tip of that beak is til they get pissed at you.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Had the same thing happen to me with a pelican. You don't realize how sharp the tip of that beak is til they get pissed at you.

lol me and my buddy were fishing in Venice and while his dad was cleaning the specks in the reds we were catching seagull of the pier. We tied a shiner to the end of the line with no hooks and they would hang on to the shiner almost all the way back to the pier.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    I had a friend get hit in the head by a flying mullet on hwy 11 fishing. Landed in the boat too!!!! lol. I was sitting right next to him. Hilarious!

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I had a friend get hit in the head by a flying mullet on hwy 11 fishing. Landed in the boat too!!!! lol. I was sitting right next to him. Hilarious!

can't say I hav ebeen hit in the head by one, but had one or two land in a boat while crossin lake verret.

would hate to get hit by the ones we see in the bay....caught some out there that are near 3 ft in length

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Once upon a time, long, long ago, Daddy & I were fishing out in the general area of Vermilion block 131, hooked up to a production platform, way out in the Gulf. Casting astern. Was a hot, calm day.

Daddy stopped fishing to open a cold beer. After a few minutes he said "there is a man out there sitting in the water". I went below and came out with big binoculars; sure enough , there was a man, no, two men "sitting in the water". As we watched, astounded by this scene, the men approached. Turned out they were in one of those little old time bass boats, with the inward-sloping gunnels, and there was a boy sitting between the men. The boat was about 14', with a 25 or 30 hp outboard engine.

They circled the rig several times, idling, and then approached our much larger boat from astern, right where we were casting.

Guy at controls asks "Where did you find that rope?"

D: What rope?

G: The rope between you and the rig?

D: That is part of our rig-hook, we brought it with us.

G: Do you have another one?

D: No, but you can use your anchor line, if you don't have a rig hook.

G: Anchor? We don't have an anchor.

By this time, Daddy is getting both concerned and P-O'ed. He tells he guy: Look, I've been watching two squall lines and it looks like they're both heading this way; you'd better high-tail it back where you came from.

G: Which way is it?

D: Which way is WHAT? Where did you come from?

G: We came from Opelousas.

D: No, where did you leave the coastline?

G: We came through some big doors.

D: OK, that must have been the FreshWater City Locks. Head about 345 or 350 degrees.

G: What's degrees? (This was decades before Loran or GPS)

D: On your compass, 350!

G: Don't have a compass.

D: You mean that you are out here 30 miles from land in a bass boat with no anchor, mooring line, or compass?

G: I guess so.

D: OK, look at the sun; it is going to go down in that direction. Look at the big cloud to the north. Look behind you to make sure that your wake isn't curved, like you do on your tractor, and head for that big cloud. In an hour or so, you should see some antennas, head for the antennas. Now, get out of here.

Well, they hadn't been out of sight for 10 or 15 minutes, when our consciences kicked in and we both said: S__t, we'd better go get them and tow the bass boat in for them.

Never could find them. Checked with th S-O, boat landings, etc. No one was ever reported missing, so I guess they made it in OK.

"Fools rush in..............."

leVieux

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom