Star Wars: The Force Awakens...........full on nerd (caution for possible spoilers)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Movie Tavern is pretty much sold out between Thursday December 17th through Sunday December 20th :eek3:

...Unless you want a neckbreaker seat or choose the single empty seat in the middle of everyone :rofl:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Well I saw it. It's better than the last 3 but I still wasn't impressed. I just didn't like the new characters. Mainly Fin and and Ren the new bad guy. Neither were convincing for me. Oh well, next one I'll wait till I can rent it.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I was not impressed either. I felt the new bad guy was kinda lame in as much that he kinda fault like a bitch to be as big and bad as he was. The plot was really lacking for me and I dont know why but Lukes head didnt seem to match his body for some odd reason. well to me anyway. The movie was entertaining , but it seemed to place style over substance.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Not very enthused, but still enjoyed it.

Spoilers: If you haven't seen it, don't read my post!!

What I didn't care for:

1: Romance seemed "forced."
    2: Too much of the film seemed like it was a rehash of lines used in the original trilogy.
    3: Too often I was able to predict what was happening as the preceding scene led into it.
    4: Stormtroopers weren't supposed to be your average grunts with wavering loyalty. They follow orders. Always. Finn seemed too scripted to move in a linear fashion.
    5: Overall, the plot was Episode 4, A New Hope, all over again. Holy freaking excrement Batman! How many times does the rebellion have to blow up the death star?
    6: Obi Wan scene, redux.. Once you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. That's just more of #5 complaint for me.
    7: Kylo Ren should have kept his doggone mask on. Taking it off ruined any sense of menace he held. That may have been by design though.

What I did like:

1: Acting was surprisingly good!
    2: It felt like what Star Wars is supposed to feel like.
    3: Effects are awesome again!
    4: I like the characters, overall. I can nitpick some things, but objectively speaking I liked them.
    5: There were several scenes that were pretty doggone funny, and very well done.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Not very enthused, but still enjoyed it.

Spoilers: If you haven't seen it, don't read my post!!

What I didn't care for:

1: Romance seemed "forced."
    2: Too much of the film seemed like it was a rehash of lines used in the original trilogy.
    3: Too often I was able to predict what was happening as the preceding scene led into it.
    4: Stormtroopers weren't supposed to be your average grunts with wavering loyalty. They follow orders. Always. Finn seemed too scripted to move in a linear fashion.
    5: Overall, the plot was Episode 4, A New Hope, all over again. Holy freaking excrement Batman! How many times does the rebellion have to blow up the death star?
    6: Obi Wan scene, redux.. Once you've seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. That's just more of #5 complaint for me.
    7: Kylo Ren should have kept his doggone mask on. Taking it off ruined any sense of menace he held. That may have been by design though.

What I did like:

1: Acting was surprisingly good!
    2: It felt like what Star Wars is supposed to feel like.
    3: Effects are awesome again!
    4: I like the characters, overall. I can nitpick some things, but objectively speaking I liked them.
    5: There were several scenes that were pretty doggone funny, and very well done.

There is chatter that Kylo really isn't evil. Or the new baddest of the bad guy.

Also, the storm troopers are not the original clones. These guys are volunteers, military and they are wavering now. Keep in mind that this isn't the republic in the original sense we are talking about, this is a faction group that wants what the republic did. Complete with no-force possessing bad guys (Ren do not have it. They are sith worshippers and wanna bes) and volunteer armies.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    MAJOR spoilers WARNING!!

There is chatter that Kylo really isn't evil. Or the new baddest of the bad guy.

Also, the storm troopers are not the original clones. These guys are volunteers, military and they are wavering now. Keep in mind that this isn't the republic in the original sense we are talking about, this is a faction group that wants what the republic did. Complete with no-force possessing bad guys (Ren do not have it. They are sith worshippers and wanna bes) and volunteer armies.

Finn is a minor complaint really. Just one of the things I found "off."
    I can see what you are saying, but from my perspective:
    I speak from the position of being a fanboy since day 1, and an avid reader of all of the books, to include the comics, shorts, and so forth. Stormtroopers were more like Special Forces, per Lucas's direction to the authors of the books. Basically, they are brainwashed from day one, much like someone who just steps out of Marine Corps bootcamp (which I can relate to all too well.) The Stormtroopers from the original series weren't clones either. Clones had a very short lifespan, less than half of what a natural human has.
    Finn wasn't a volunteer, he was taken as a child and raised as a First Order soldier. He said this in the movie.

Kylo Ren is a fallen jedi trainee. He turned to the dark side under the tutelage of Luke. This was said in the movie, before it was revealed that he was Han and Leia's son. He has a strong connection to the force, but not as strong as Rey. This was discussed by Ren and Snope after Ren was interrogating her, and trying to mind read, after she blocked his attempts (with her stronger connection to the force).

I'm going to say that Snope is a Sith, even though it was not said in the movie Quite possibly he is the host of Palpatine's master, Plagius, who had discovered how to defeat death. Possibly he is the host of Palpatine, by that plot line, but I find Plagius more plausible. Always two there are. <<Bane's Rule/

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    MAJOR spoilers WARNING!!

I speak from the position of being a fanboy since day 1, and an avid reader of all of the books, to include the comics, shorts, and so forth. Stormtroopers were more like Special Forces, per Lucas's direction to the authors of the books. Basically, they are brainwashed from day one, much like someone who just steps out of Marine Corps bootcamp (which I can relate to all too well.) The Stormtroopers from the original series weren't clones either. Clones had a very short lifespan, less than half of what a natural human has.
    Finn wasn't a volunteer, he was taken as a child and raised as a First Order soldier. He said this in the movie.

Kylo Ren is a fallen jedi trainee. He turned to the dark side under the tutelage of Luke. This was said in the movie, before it was revealed that he was Han and Leia's son. He has a strong connection to the force, but not as strong as Rey. This was discussed by Ren and Snope after Ren was interrogating her, and trying to mind read, after she blocked his attempts (with her stronger connection to the force).

I'm going to say that Snope is a Sith, even though it was not said in the movie Quite possibly he is the host of Palpatine's master, Plagius, who had discovered how to defeat death. Possibly he is the host of Palpatine, by that plot line, but I find Plagius more plausible. Always two there are. <<Bane's Rule/

Did not read. Haven't seen it yet. Don't want any major spoiling lol. I'll come back after I watch it.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Did anyone else notice all the excesive panting from almost every character. I got tired of hearing Finn panting after the first 30 minutes. Even when Chewie was running around placing bombs they put in the sound of a dog panting for just a few seconds. I thought that was silly, he's not a dog.

I just couldn't stand Finn, he is the new Jar Jar Binks to me. And the fact that he lasted as long as he did in the light saber fight against Ren was pathetic. Even if Ren hadn't finished his training he should've been able to wipe the floor with Finn.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens...........full on nerd (caution for possible spo...

I absolutely loved it, recycled plot line and all. Cmon how many kids can be abandoned on desert planets on a series? And you'd think the bad guys would learn after one battle station was blown up to plug the holes and not have trenches for the good guy to fly through.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    More spoilers
    MAJOR spoilers WARNING!!

Ok what I had read was way wrong.

While Finn wasn't a volunteer, he is still not genetically engineered. He's a human and a product of his parents. Free will is in him as well as others. See Phasma's choice to lower the sheilds and condemn them all to death instead of taking a blaster bolt to the head.

I like the idea of snope being plagius, but I am not convinced. I suspect he is a force sensitive individual but not a force user. Han even said that snope was using him abilities. Yeah suggests he does not posses them. Too early to tell that.

I'm baffled by Ren. Her parents are obviously either Leia or Luke. But I couldn't imagine either leaving her abandoned. Leia obviously by her attempts to reach Kylo, and Luke can hide so well himself, why abandon her? Lots of questions surround that one for me.

I admit that a part of me dies with Han. He was my favorite as a child. Not having the force means it's someone I could have been. I don't like the results and I will never forgive them for that. Kylo deserves death only, not to be turned light for that one...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Took my time, didn't read spoilers, and saw it on Saturday. The theater was still packed full and was pretty much sold out all weekend.

Finn just didn't seem right to me. He seemed more human than you would expect from an android-like Stormtrooper.
    The buildup of Rey having the Force was all to evident and not surprising in the least bit.
    Rather than excitement when Rey was manhandling Ren, I was wondering how they were going to kill him off so early, then a coincidental buttcrack hole in the ground shows up...
    Rey is too simple minded, but I guess we all would be if we grew up in a desert of junk.
    Most awkward staring competition.

Effects were great.
    Costumes were great.
    Acting was great.

I enjoyed it.

Mark Hamill's age didn't show well with the beard and "Hey someone found me... Oh wait, who are you?" face.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Took my time, didn't read spoilers, and saw it on Saturday. The theater was still packed full and was pretty much sold out all weekend.

Finn just didn't seem right to me. He seemed more human than you would expect from an android-like Stormtrooper.
    The buildup of Rey having the Force was all to evident and not surprising in the least bit.
    Rather than excitement when Rey was manhandling Ren, I was wondering how they were going to kill him off so early, then a coincidental buttcrack hole in the ground shows up...
    Rey is too simple minded, but I guess we all would be if we grew up in a desert of junk.
    Most awkward staring competition.

Effects were great.
    Costumes were great.
    Acting was great.

I enjoyed it.

Mark Hamill's age didn't show well with the beard and "Hey someone found me... Oh wait, who are you?" face.

Spoiler alert: Don't read my comment if you didn't see it!!!

You didn't feel it was just Episode IV, A New Hope, rewritten?

I have my complaints about the movie, but I do want to reiterate that I did enjoy it. I feel it was most likely 100% better than anything George Lucas would have given us, judging by the dismal prequels.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You didn't feel it was just Episode IV, A New Hope, rewritten?

I have my complaints about the movie, but I do want to reiterate that I did enjoy it. I feel it was most likely 100% better than anything George Lucas would have given us, judging by the dismal prequels.

I did, but I feel like it was more of a homage to Star Wars, rather than just copying Episode IV.

There's only one way to blow it up.
    It's in a small trench.
    They all break away to let him go at it alone.

Yea, that's pretty much the same, but that wasn't the entire movie.

The prequels were awful, but we're luckily way past that point in the timeline.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    It was entertaining, but I thought it was the same plot line rehashed. Coolest part for me was realizing that Luke's deserted Island is a place we visited in Ireland a few years ago.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    4: Stormtroopers weren't supposed to be your average grunts with wavering loyalty. They follow orders. Always.

Have you read "Allegiance" by Timothy Zahn? It's about a handful of Stormtroopers that desert the Empire under similar pretenses as Finn.

For the record, I thought Finn was a little stiff.

Overall, I would have liked to have seen a little darker film and less of a rehash of ANH, but the feel of the movie was fantastic. There's so much hype to live up to and everyone has their own personal sense of what Star Wars should be, that it's impossible to please everyone. A far cry better that Episodes 1-3, I give it a 7 of 10.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Have you read "Allegiance" by Timothy Zahn? It's about a handful of Stormtroopers that desert the Empire under similar pretenses as Finn.

For the record, I thought Finn was a little stiff.

Overall, I would have liked to have seen a little darker film and less of a rehash of ANH, but the feel of the movie was fantastic. There's so much hype to live up to and everyone has their own personal sense of what Star Wars should be, that it's impossible to please everyone. A far cry better that Episodes 1-3, I give it an 8 of 10.

Yeah, that's true and it was exactly the same situation where they went rogue. I didn't think about that.. The thing is, they didn't go full freakout when they defected, all huffing and puffing in a panic and whatnot. They did follow their orders, by appearance anyway. It's been a while but I think it was only two that were intentionally missing their targets? It wasn't until that Intel agent started questioning them that they bailed. They saw the situation as more of a failure of their command structure, and still remained ultimately loyal to the Empire. I think that's why Mara Jade didn't kill them.

Still, Finn was a conscript, taken as a child. Raised under the ideals of the First Order. For some reason I just expect better brainwashing from my villainous regimes.

I can say, without a doubt, that if you only take the movies and their events, the movie is much more enjoyable. Some of us have the misfortune of a tainted perspective.

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    I was disappointed. I really didn't think it was that great.I doubt I'll watch it again until it comes on regular tv. No plans to buy the DVD at all.

I suppose it was an "ok" movie.. But it didn't really "feel" like a Star Wars movie at all until Han showed up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom