Start of the reloading trip

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    So I have finally made the jump, I have most of the gear to start reloading, I bought an Lee 50th Anniversary kit, and a RCBS Hand priming tool, a RCBS 2 die set for 223, some one shot, and have the press and powder drop rigged to a table. So all I need now is to get the brass prep stuff done, and get some calipers, SO that brings me to the question is stainless steel media tumbling the way to go? I am looking into it, and I can get a Harbor freight rotary tumbler for around 50 bucks, and and steel media for around 30 or 40 bucks, and that works great from what I see... So that brings me to the trimmer, the kit came with that on press trimmer, is it better to get the dies for it, or get some other trimmer? Also I will be getting 7.62x54R going for my M28/30, and I picked up 2lbs of IMR 4064, is that good powder to have? Also Ill be stopping by Harbor freight in Slidell to get some tools, anything besides the calipers and tumbler while I'm there?

TooOld

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Laplace
    I think you are pretty good. I am still using corn cob and walnut media so I can't comment on S.S. media.
    The one thing you did not mention is reloading manuals. I would suggest you obtain at least 2 of the better loading manuals i.e., Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Speer, etc. I believe these are most important in reloading.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Yes, you need the books! The books will save you from making tragic mistakes. When I first started reloading, the Speer book was very helpful.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sportsbud, as the others said, get a couple of manuals and read till you have some understanding of loads, pressure curves, and velocities before you ever load the first one. As I have said elsewhere, there are a bunch out there that believe that loading "hot" is the way to go just to gain a few fps. You will find that best accuracy is found with moderate loads. Enjoy your new hobby. GW

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Stainless media is awesome. I have a thumler's tumbler that works very well. Don't waste your money on the harbor freight tumbler, the capacity sucks, you'll never get anything done. Also, be sure to check the calipers to make sure they measure to the thousandth, the HF ones don't. If you're reloading rifle to save money you are making a mistake, reloading pistol is much easier, much less time consuming, and you can save money doing it.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Stainless media is awesome. I have a thumler's tumbler that works very well. Don't waste your money on the harbor freight tumbler, the capacity sucks, you'll never get anything done. Also, be sure to check the calipers to make sure they measure to the thousandth, the HF ones don't. If you're reloading rifle to save money you are making a mistake, reloading pistol is much easier, much less time consuming, and you can save money doing it.
    Why isn't reloading rifle going to save money? All the calculations I've done show that you do. As well as other people I've talked to.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Why isn't reloading rifle going to save money? All the calculations I've done show that you do. As well as other people I've talked to.

How much can you reload 223 and 7.62x54r for?

Primers are about $.04 each, powder $.10 per round, bullet is $.08 each. So $0.22 cents a round or $220 a case(really don't want to start figuring in disposables like media if you use walnut or corn cob, or discussing sourcing brass and it's cost). That's about $10 less than buying steel 223. If your initial cost of the press, dies, gauges, powder measure, scale, calipers, tumbler, media, primer pocket reamer, case trimmer, media separator, your bench, etc etc etc, is $500, you're going to need to load 50k rounds to break even. At 100 rounds an hour on a press like his, he can forget about ever breaking even. With 7.62x54, I'd bet his costs would be higher and you can get canned milsurp for under $200 a case.

I can reload 9mm for under $120 a case. That's where you save money.

Last edited:

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I was going to get the rock tumbler from harbor freight too but I have been reading from sniper's hide that the ultrasonic cleaners are the way to go. Supposedly they clean the inside of the brass better. I ordered some digital calipers from Amazon for about $10 that work great.

Question, where did you get your powder? I am in the Slidell area and I haven't found anything.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I would have the same concerns about ultrasonic cleaners as the harbor freight ones, really low capacity. The only larger one I know of, the hornady hot tub, is apparently a fire hazard.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You can find powder online, gunbot has up to date listings. Locally, we have at least 4 sponsors in south east LA that carry powder. Optimum outfitters is the closest one to you.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I reload....Because your not going to run out and find these bad boys...

Attachments

• easter 2014 001 (800x600).jpg
      easter 2014 001 (800x600).jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 83

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Well I have a few odds coming in from brownells, o picked up the harbor frieght rock tumbler, just need the stainless media... which I'm guessing will have to be ordered. But I have a friend who uses the ultra sonic cleaner but you still have to tumble for the rough stuff, this stuff the stainless does both jobs great, but ill find out, just need to wait a little before I get the media at like 50 dollars! One thing I did order was a universal decapping die, and a lee factory crimp die. I need to order the books now, so almost there. .. and time to mess with the adjustment on the dies!

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Well I have a few odds coming in from brownells, o picked up the harbor frieght rock tumbler, just need the stainless media... which I'm guessing will have to be ordered. But I have a friend who uses the ultra sonic cleaner but you still have to tumble for the rough stuff, this stuff the stainless does both jobs great, but ill find out, just need to wait a little before I get the media at like 50 dollars! One thing I did order was a universal decapping die, and a lee factory crimp die. I need to order the books now, so almost there. .. and time to mess with the adjustment on the dies!

If you're paying for $50 worth of media, you're getting too much. How the harbor freight tumbler is rated for 6 pounds right?

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    How much can you reload 223 and 7.62x54r for?

Primers are about $.04 each, powder $.10 per round, bullet is $.08 each. So $0.22 cents a round or $220 a case(really don't want to start figuring in disposables like media if you use walnut or corn cob, or discussing sourcing brass and it's cost). That's about $10 less than buying steel 223. If your initial cost of the press, dies, gauges, powder measure, scale, calipers, tumbler, media, primer pocket reamer, case trimmer, media separator, your bench, etc etc etc, is $500, you're going to need to load 50k rounds to break even. At 100 rounds an hour on a press like his, he can forget about ever breaking even. With 7.62x54, I'd bet his costs would be higher and you can get canned milsurp for under $200 a case.

I can reload 9mm for under $120 a case. That's where you save money.

$.21 per round for me. I'm comparing to $335+ for a case as I don't shoot steel .223.

I have a cost analysis spreadsheet a friend gave me and it shows that if you shoot a lot, say 200 rounds a week, even spending close to $2000 will pay off within a year.

I bought the stuff to reload 6x47 Lapua so I figured I'd reload .223 as well.

My neighbor...he's reloading .223 for about $.05/round right now. He's had powder, primers and bullets for years and years and still hasn't gone through it all. Lucky bastard.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico

I got the harbor freight tumbler and the stainless media top up pack, I think that is what its called. Works awesome, but Im not loading all that much ammo. Only loading for the 260 really right now, I still have to much 223/556 to even worry about loading. Lemi shine and dawn soap, cases come out super clean inside/out.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    $.21 per round for me. I'm comparing to $335+ for a case as I don't shoot steel .223.

I have a cost analysis spreadsheet a friend gave me and it shows that if you shoot a lot, say 200 rounds a week, even spending close to $2000 will pay off within a year.

I bought the stuff to reload 6x47 Lapua so I figured I'd reload .223 as well.

My neighbor...he's reloading .223 for about $.05/round right now. He's had powder, primers and bullets for years and years and still hasn't gone through it all. Lucky bastard.

Yeah, shooting steel is the way to go on a budget. If you're reloading 223 to save money, steel is a better choice, if you're reloading to shoot higher quality ammo on a budget, reloading is the way to go.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I got the harbor freight tumbler and the stainless media top up pack, I think that is what its called. Works awesome, but Im not loading all that much ammo. Only loading for the 260 really right now, I still have to much 223/556 to even worry about loading. Lemi shine and dawn soap, cases come out super clean inside/out.

Yep, lemishine and any dishsoap, plus lots of rinsing. You're using about 2 pounds of stainless media right?

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Ya, think that's the refill pack. I split it into each canister, works great. I can clean more than I care to load in one sitting. But I'm doing everything one at a time on a single stage press.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom