Starter competition/ Deer Riffle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmounce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Looking to pick up a starter competition/ deer riffle. I have no experience with riffles. I only take about 2 or 3 hunting trips a year all guided. I would like your honest advice good bad or ugly on the 2 choices I will list. If you experts know of something better for the price please suggest it.

I always borrow a riffle from a friend but am tired of doing that. If I pick up a new riffle I will be practicing a lot.

I really would like to try to get into some friendly competitive riffle shooting if I can shoot good enough.

Choice number 1

1. Remington 700 Heavy Barreled Action, 26" barrel length
    2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:9.125"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
    3. Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
    4. Bell & Carlson Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
    5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
    6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
    7. Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm Tactical Scope with mildot reticle
    8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
    9. Plano double rifle hard gun case
    10. Everything assembled and rifle zeroed at 100 yards

Choice nuber 2

1. Howa 1500 Heavy Barreled Action, 24" barrel length
    2. .308 (1:12"), .243 (1:10"), .22-250(1:14"), .223(1:12")
    3. Bell & Carlson Tactical/Varmint Medalist Synthetic Stock (Mk1), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel
    4. New B&C Vertical Grip Tactical Stock (Mk2), full aluminum bedding block, free floating barrel (No charge option)
    5. Legacy International 1 Piece Picatinny Rail (EGW) - 20 MOA
    6. Burris XTR Tactical Rings
    7. Bushnell 3200 10x Tactical Scope with mildots
    8. Harris Bipod, solid mount, 9-13" or Versa-pod 9-13"
    9. Plastic double rifle hard gun case

Both riffles are between 1000 and 1200 dollars choice number 1 is the more expensive.

Please give me your choice of the oppitions are suggest information on something as good for about the same cost.

I do know 2 friends that have choice number 2 and are thrilled with the quality.

Thanks Gary

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I have a Howa that is very similar to #2. Honestly, I wound not even consider hunting with. It's too heavy and too bulky. Otherwise, it's a fantastic rifle.

gmounce

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Denham Springs
    although people do it, .22-250 is not a very good choice for deer. I'd get the .308, IMO.

I will only be getting the 308 I guess I should have deleted the other choices. It was just easier to edit and paste. Sorry for the confussion.

About how many yards are these 2 type guns in 308 accurate to with factory ammo. I have no will to start reloading.

Thanks Gary

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I will only be getting the 308 I guess I should have deleted the other choices. It was just easier to edit and paste. Sorry for the confussion.

About how many yards are these 2 type guns in 308 accurate to with factory ammo. I have no will to start reloading.

Thanks Gary

My particular Howa (the same model as #2) is turning out to be about a .625 MOA rifle, but that's with hand loads, and I'm still early in the "testing" process.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I understand not wanting to reload. Although, I wonder if you've really looked at it from a cost view. Match ammo will run you 25-35$ for 20. So that's about $1500 per thousand. Not to mention that you can't use fire-fromed brass, which a lot of comp shooters do.

I can load 1000 rounds of .308 (200 at a time) that are tailor made for my chamber and liking for $590 with top end components. A single stage press set up should run you ~200-300$. The savings is too significant for me to ignore.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Match ammo will run you 25-35$ for 20.

Recently after having great success with Prvi Partisan .223 69 gr Match in my competition AR, I tried some of their .308 165 gr Match in a bolt-action rifle I recently picked up to mess around with. Shoots a bit better in this rifle than Black Hills, at only around $15 a box. Prvi is one of the great bargains left in ammo IMO. Quality and value: in my experience, a case where you get 85 - 90 percent of the quality at less than 50 percent of the cost.

But reloading is definitely where it's at when you shoot a lot or want to tailor loads to a certain gun. I reload for my main pistol competition caliber at present, but .223 and .308 will probably also have a place on my loading bench eventually.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Go with the Howa, you won't be disappointed. I fired this exact configuration and it was an excellent rifle. I came very close to ordering one myself. Mel over at snipercentral is a great guy to work with. He does good work.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Iin the last 15 years, I've played around with many guns, but when I take to the woods to hunt, I only take my Rem700 VS Heavy Fluted Barrel in 308WIN. Topped with Leupold VX-III 4.5-15 x 50mm AO. I do hunt from a tree or other stationary stand. It's heaver and longer than most of the other guns at the deer camp, but I'm not changing anytime soon.

Top Bottom