Starting reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MSU Longshot

Left Handed Hammer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Im thinking about starting to reload for my AR15. Anybody give me a rundown on what i would need. im reloading 5.56/.223 mostly for plinking.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    well I understand the bullets, powder, primers and brass part, just need to know what equipment to get.

It's quite a long list. VERY FEW places around here carries much reloading gear other than McNeely's** in Sulphur. It's a taxidermy shop on City Service Rd, across from Popeyes. Stay away from The Outpost in Westlake unless you want your ******* to hurt the next day.

If you end up getting a full setup before I do, I wouldn't mind renting it from you for a day. Hell, I'd even pay you in beer and strippers (or brass).

-Dave

MSU Longshot

Left Handed Hammer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Yeah I was looking to order stuff online haha. I guess i better start making a list then...

We could have a reloading party, drink beer and get lap dances.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Reloading Press,
    223 dies,
    Powder dispenser
    Powder scale
    Case trimmer
    Case deburring tool (can also be used to remove the crimp from military cases)
    Reloading manual
    Case lube
    Dial Caliper

You can get started fairly cheaply with a single stage press and hand operated powder dispenser and trimming tools. Depends on what you want to spend and how much time you want to devote to it.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Yeah I was looking to order stuff online haha. I guess i better start making a list then...

We could have a reloading party, drink beer and get lap dances.

You CAN order most of the "hard" parts off the intrawebz, but powder and primers are usually cheaper to buy in the stores because of hazmat fees.

Before you buy new, keep an eye out for an old LEE single stage press. Damn near everyone starts off on one, and usually sells a whole setup for around half of retail.

-Dave

MSU Longshot

Left Handed Hammer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    You CAN order most of the "hard" parts off the intrawebz, but powder and primers are usually cheaper to buy in the stores because of hazmat fees.

Before you buy new, keep an eye out for an old LEE single stage press. Damn near everyone starts off on one, and usually sells a whole setup for around half of retail.

-Dave

Gander Mountain in Beaumont sells a good amount of supplies. its only a 50 minute drive from my house.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Gander Mountain in Beaumont sells a good amount of supplies. its only a 50 minute drive from my house.

The way I figure it, I make $15/hr. At 2 hours minimum driving, I've got to save $30 to break even. Figure in ~17mpg@50 miles, and that's another $18 I need to save.

Check out McNeely's on City Service, they'll be able to help you out on powder. It's only about $3-5 more expensive per pound than intrawebs.

You go to McNasty? What's your major?

-Dave

MSU Longshot

Left Handed Hammer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Not as deep as I like right now but will get deeper in the coming months....

My major is " Natural Resource Conservation and Management" with focus in wildlife. Its a mouthful, i know.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Not as deep as I like right now but will get deeper in the coming months....

My major is " Natural Resource Conservation and Management" with focus in wildlife. Its a mouthful, i know.

I certainly wouldn't want to be reloading 1800 .233 a month while in school on anything less than a good progressive.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Ha, its a long term goal. Im looking to just start, I'll get to the good stuff down the road..

That works; then just get a single stage to get you over the learning curve for now. It's not real steep, but you'll be better prepared to buy and use a progressive when you have the bread.

Top Bottom