State Trooper Tazed by BRPD

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree with all of this, I'm just of the opinion that unless the offense is severe or has some way of relating to your occupation, off the clock shouldn't have anything to do with your job. We have a justice system designed to hand out fair consequences for breaking the law, I don't think we really need anything else.

Can't they still carry a gun off the clock because of their jobs?

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    How hard is it to become LSP? Is prior experience required or can it be a "right place at the right time"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly they have one of the most intensive academies out there. And they do require at least one of the following: two years experience full-time POST with duties including armed duty and power of arrest; minimum of 60 hours from accredited university; combination of 1 year from both POST and university; three years continuous active duty military.

The vast majority of the Troopers I know all have a military background.

I don't think "right place right time" qualifies here.

TerryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Albany, LA
    I agree with all of this, I'm just of the opinion that unless the offense is severe or has some way of relating to your occupation, off the clock shouldn't have anything to do with your job. If you think that this shows a tendency towards poor judgement or anger issues, I could see it relating to his job, beyond that, I don't think the two should be connected. We have a justice system designed to hand out fair consequences for breaking the law, I don't think we really need anything else.

I would say poor judgement, to push an officer. I wonder what that trooper would do if he was pushed by a suspect's brother.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If I recall correctly they have one of the most intensive academies out there. And they do require at least one of the following: two years experience full-time POST with duties including armed duty and power of arrest; minimum of 60 hours from accredited university; combination of 1 year from both POST and university; three years continuous active duty military.

The vast majority of the Troopers I know all have a military background.

I don't think "right place right time" qualifies here.
    Trooper Huval wasn't prior military . I don't think he was prior LEO as far as I can remember . I'll doublecheck with my son .

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    From LSP site:

QUALIFICATIONS
    Be a United States Citizen.
    Have a minimum of
    Two (2) years of experience as a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified peace officer in a full-time position, whose job duties include armed duty with the power of arrest, (jailer/correctional officer experience does not qualify); or
    A minimum of sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university, (must provide transcript or degree); or
    Any two (2) year combination of Options 1 and 2 above, whereby thirty (30) semester hours will be equivalent to one (1) year of experience; or
    Three (3) years of continuous active military duty in the United States Military, (must provide a DD-214 or letter from current commanding officer verifying service), effective October 1, 2001.
    Be of good moral character.
    Pass a written examination with a competitive score.
    Undergo a physical agility evaluation, including a drug screen.
    Pass an extensive background investigation, including a polygraph examination.
    Pass an oral interview.
    Pass a thorough medical examination.
    Possess a valid Louisiana driver's license at time of selection.
    Successfully complete the required State Police Training Academy program.
    If you are interested in becoming a DPS Police Officer, click here for more information.

1911arkain

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NOLA
    His occupation won't have any bearing on this offense. However, I do believe this offense will have some bearing on his occupation.

Him acting as a civilian should have bearing on his job. It would on any other civilian. And doesn't assaulting a police officer carry a mandatory prison sentence?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom