Steaks and Grill Baked Potatoes

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    This was actually what I was supposed to cook last night but having missed mass earlier in the day I put it off until today so we could make yesterday's 6:00 pm mass.

As you can tell it's grillin' time when a good cold beer is hanging around the Keg.

DSC03284.jpg

I put the potatoes on the grill to bake about an hour before I was ready to throw the steaks on. They were sensually rubbed with bacon drippings from bacon I cooked the other night. Then they were lightly sprinkled with a good flaky kosher salt and on to the grill they went. I failed to get pictures of them on the grill.

After removing the potatoes I raised the temperature letting the lump charcoal get good and red hot.

Time for the steaks! a mix of ribeyes I cut myself, New York Strips and a beautiful filet rounded out the beef along with a couple of chicken breasts. The steaks were simply seasoned with a good rub down of bacon drippings, flaky salt and fresh cracked black pepper. The chicken breasts had a light sprinkle of Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic.

When they were just about done I dropped on each one a lil scoop of a garlic butter with parsley to melt on them. A bit more added when removed from the grill and they were smelling fantastic!

DSC03294.jpg

Salad on the side this was a delicious meal that I know would be hard to beat in any restaurant.

DSC03295.jpg

If you lean real close to your monitor you just might get a whiff of how great they smelled.

DSC03297.jpg

Watch out you don't get your keyboard too close and have juices drip on it!​

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Looks tasty! How long do you cook the potatoes? I love a grilled tater, never tried to cook one myself. I have cooked a couple of steaks in a skillet ala Gordon Ramsy style, I must say, very tasty and quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYZHkjgwdc I add the butter earlier, and toss in garlic cloves at the beginning.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks all!

Looks tasty! How long do you cook the potatoes?

I had six potatoes on the grill indirect for about an hour and they were perfect. I put them on a piece of heavy duty foil to keep them from burning on the bottom and to prevent drying out too.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    How do you make your garlic butter?

Take a stick or two of butter and unwrap(easier to do while still cold), place in a round bottom bowl and let come to room temp. Use fresh garlic and finely chop or crush however much you like and add to the softened butter. Using a spatula mix it up well, you could add a tiny bit of salt if you like. Add(preferably fresh)chopped parsley and cover with plastic wrap and set aside. Sometimes I make a bunch and stick it in the fridge to have on hand when I need it. Great on warmed french bread too!

do you wrap your potatoes in foil on the grill?

No, I don't wrap them. Wrapping them steams them to cook. I like the skin to get a little bit crisp.
    I usually cook them indirect on the grill with a piece of foil underneath them just to keep them a bit more indirect. In the oven I just put them on a pan but I do rub them with olive oil or bacon drippings and sprinkle lightly with kosher or sea salt. I use an ice oick to test doneness. Sticking it deep into the potato if it lifts the potato when removing it's not done. You can feel the tenderness of the potato when you press on them with bare fingers also.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Looks tasty! How long do you cook the potatoes? I love a grilled tater, never tried to cook one myself. I have cooked a couple of steaks in a skillet ala Gordon Ramsy style, I must say, very tasty and quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYZHkjgwdc I add the butter earlier, and toss in garlic cloves at the beginning.

What he said! Came across that video when it was raining and I wanted a steak. The bride even likes them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    What he said! Came across that video when it was raining and I wanted a steak. The bride even likes them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That makes a mean skillet steak I must say. And I am a grill man. I tried it just because it was cold, and I got a steak on sale. Have done it a couple of times since. Goes a bit against the grain, but is tasty.

Top Bottom