Stealth Arms Platypus

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Mine are in line for the slides to be milled. Should get them early February. Went with only one color to hopefully speed up the process. I’ve never held a Staccato but reading several places these are equal or better had me wanting one. So I got two.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Mine are in line for the slides to be milled. Should get them early February. Went with only one color to hopefully speed up the process. I’ve never held a Staccato but reading several places these are equal or better had me wanting one. So I got two.
    They're different. Staccato are STI 2011s, and the platypus looks like it's based on the old Para Ordnance architecture. STI frames are two piece, with the rails made from steel, compared to the aluminum frame of the platypus (which makes the platypus lighter, but might affect longevity). Platypus grip is narrower and shorter than the Staccato/STI. Staccato is bushingless, platypus has a bushing; staccato trigger is lighter than platypus.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, aside from the platypus being lighter and thus easier to carry.

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    I’ve been playing with the builder. I’m torn between the platypus or putting together another backpack gun.

IMG_4694.png

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    Post some pictures when you get em!!

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Let me believe I’m getting a deal! I’ve noticed the same person was in two of the reviews I saw. Which I didn’t think anything of before but now am a little suspicious of.

The best part is, 2023 me paid for them, so 2024 me gets two free guns.
    They're different. Staccato are STI 2011s, and the platypus looks like it's based on the old Para Ordnance architecture. STI frames are two piece, with the rails made from steel, compared to the aluminum frame of the platypus (which makes the platypus lighter, but might affect longevity). Platypus grip is narrower and shorter than the Staccato/STI. Staccato is bushingless, platypus has a bushing; staccato trigger is lighter than platypus.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, aside from the platypus being lighter and thus easier to carry.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Let me believe I’m getting a deal! I’ve noticed the same person was in two of the reviews I saw. Which I didn’t think anything of before but now am a little suspicious of.

The best part is, 2023 me paid for them, so 2024 me gets two free guns.

those aren't criticisms, I was just pointing out the differences that most people wouldn't necessarily be aware of if they're not 1911 guys. Personally, I've never been a big fan of the STI architecture, and like that the platypus grip is narrower.

The only reason every tacti-bro on the planet parrots the Staccato mantra is because of Taran Tactical and John Wick. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Mine came in right at 9 weeks (ordered Fri Oct 20 at 2 am). Shipped Tues Dec 19th and came in Thursday. I picked only one color to speed it up. Will do a full review this weekend to not hijack the thread. Excellent guns. Gentleman at the gun shop said the trigger was great. I love it but don’t have much beside striker fired Glocks and sigs to compare.
    72490398437__2C78F4C9-83A4-4ED2-8D8B-7D321091BB3A.jpeg
    72490492922__99E91B5D-3B2A-4783-87FE-634DBEF97B86.jpeg

proplaya

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Baton Rouge

You are correct. The platypus specifically says 1911 on the bottom of the trigger guard. I believe the rails of the platypus are metal.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpeg
      IMG_0441.jpeg
      389 KB · Views: 30

bubbwubb

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2023
    Baton Rouge
    Please let us know how it performs. I have been eying this since it was announced. I have bought quite a few of the stealth arms 8 percent frames, and finished them with their phantom jig. The machining quality is very high on the 1911 frames, and I hope they have done the same on the platypus.
    They have, I’ve had my platypus around 3 months now and have been loving it. Shoots very nicely and punches way above its price point. Better than staccato IMO.

Top Bottom