Steel vs. Brass

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock27

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am starting to research this alittle more. I have mostly used brass cased ammo, but have ocasionaly used steel. I guess my question is, other than material, what is the difference? Quality? Pros and cons?

joshuades

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Nobody's chimed in yet, so I'll give what I know.

Steel cases aren't used for reloading due to steel not being as elastic. It work hardens much faster causing fatigue and doesn't "snap back" as well as brass cases. On the other hand, factory ammo in steel cases is normally cheaper due to material cost.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    You will here people say that steel cased ammo is harder on firearms, breaks extractors, is dirty, and unreliable.

All I can speak from is my personal experience. I shoot off the shelf firearms, nothing really "custom.", so I expect them to shoot off the shelf ammo, whatever that might be.

I have fired about 6-8 thousand rounds of .223 this year alone, and probably 86.745% of it was steel of various brands. I did not experience a single ammunition related malfunction. In fact, I had one stuck case and that was due to the fact that I was at about 1300 rounds with no cleaning or lubrication.

The biggest problem with steel case ammo, especially rifle, IMO is that most companies use a lacquer or other substance to seal their primers. This substances tends to build up in the chamber, bolt, and barrel after prolonged use (1k-2k rounds) and could foul your system. The remedy--clean your rifle.

other than that, except for when compared to "top shelf ammo, which will be brass cased" I see no noticeable difference in performance.

As far as handguns, I have experienced nothin but great things.

The way I see it, even if it does break an extractor or two, they are a couple of bucks a piece and more than offset the financial savings of shooting steel.

All that said, I still carry brass ammo for duty and defense.....Maybe I am believing the hype too. LOL

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Brass is softer than steel and has less chance to scar chambers & reloading dies.
    Others may argue, but thats my reasons. I've payed too much for what I have to take chances.

I will fess up and say that I do shoot steel in my AK and SKS.
    If I could snag some 7.62x39 brass that would change too. :D

Art

Last edited:
    Top Bottom