Stennis buffer zone Saturday Feb. 25

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up, doing some shooting and cleaning up the buffer zone on the 25th this month? It is sad how dirty it has gotten in the past few months, if everyone took one bag of trash on their way out it would go a long way.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    the same way the first one out there got shut down....... your new to the forum, do your research.

Hi Ryan. The Hancock County Sheriff did push up a berm at the 100 yard mark, and we've been told explicitly that it's OK to shoot there, so other than a lot of trash piling up there I can't think of why they'd shut it down. They shut down the old range, so they could use it for the sheriff's office personnel. Unfortunately the worst trash out there is too big to take out with a trash bag.

By the way I was out there today. That damned stinking refrigerator is still there, and there's standing water in front of the berm, but other than that and the fact that my two 7mm Mausers couldn't even get all their rounds on a sheet of paper at 25 yards it was nice out there.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Do you need any paperwork or anything to get out there? Wasn't sure if you needed a hunting/fishing licence. Also, can someone get me a google earth picture, or a map or something. I have NO clue how to drive out there. This wouldn't be truck required would it? I've got a mazda 3 that doesn't have much ground clearance at all.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Do you need any paperwork or anything to get out there? Wasn't sure if you needed a hunting/fishing licence. Also, can someone get me a google earth picture, or a map or something. I have NO clue how to drive out there. This wouldn't be truck required would it? I've got a mazda 3 that doesn't have much ground clearance at all.

No paperwork required. As for the off-road truck, I drive a 16-year-old Mazda 626 that runs fine out there. Lately the borrow trucks have been running, and they've torn up the main road pretty badly, but they fill all their holes. It's just soft sand that you sink into a few inches when you drive though it. Nothing bad. Frankly I recommend everyone who goes out there skip the first turn off hwy 604, and go to the second. It's a paved road that goes back about a mile to a right turn onto another paved or gravel road that goes straight to the range/pit. The road's got a few holes, so drive carefully, but all in all it's smoother than the one the trucks are using.

Sks985

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Slidell

02e1e8d7.jpg

Rakkasan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey Rifle. Let me know next time you head out there. It's spippin from the AKfiles. I found this post while googling the location of the range. I did'nt even know it was there. LOL. I used to go to honey island but hate all the red tape. So havent been in years.
    Shannon

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Can anyone PM me how to get there I am new to the area :)

There's a sticky thread in the shooting range forum about this place - http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?2949-Buffer-Zone-Suggestion-Thread-**-Official/page9

It's pretty easy to find. Just get off the interstate at the Mississippi welcome center exit, head down 607 until you see 604 on your right. Turn on 604 and go to the 2nd road on the right (the 1st road is unpaved and tore up, the 2nd road is further away but paved). Turn down the 2nd road and when you get to the first set of crossroads turn right. You'll stay on a paved road for a half a mile or so then it turns into a rock road. You'll see a field on your left and a small pond on your right. The pit is right after the pond as shown on the google map picture above (the one labeled NEW? 3)

Here's a direct link to google maps: http://maps.google.com/?ll=30.298945,-89.603505&spn=0.036127,0.066047&t=h&z=15

Here's my mspaint version of directions (click it to make it bigger not sure why it shrinks them and doesn't give you the option to unshrink them sometimes)

You can get a pretty good bird eye view of it using bing - http://binged.it/HGvQs9

Last edited:
    Top Bottom