Steyr S and M extraction problems fix

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Il_Baffo

Tacticool
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So I have a Steyr S9-A1 I bought from a friend and I was getting extraction problems every 40ish rounds.

EKzFQl.jpg

I LOVED the gun's feel and the ergonomics really cut down on recoil but those extraction issues really cut down my confidence in the gun and I was planning on using it as my ccw. I never got a failure to feed, fire, or eject...only failures to extract (which are the worst kind IMO). The gun already had the new extractor from Steyr on it and I didn't know what to do.

So I looked around and found steyrclub.com. I highly recommend browsing that site if you own a Steyr. It's full of extremely knowledgeable Steyr owners and the actual designer of the M and S pistols has an account on the site and answers questions. Anyways I found a DIY fix for extraction problems and tried it out and it worked.

You buy a 1911 slidestop spring and cut it down 3/16'' and then put it inside the Steyr's extractor spring and plunger. This adds a lot of tension and causes the extractor to get a better grip on the rounds (it took ridiculous amounts of pressure to re-install the extractor with the tension of 2 springs). After the fix I've put over 200 rounds of bulk FMJ without a hitch so I'm confident that fixed the problem (before, extraction problems were occurring with even high quality +P ammo).

This was my first time doing anything more to a gun than taking it apart and cleaning it so I'm pretty glad it worked out. Just thought I'd pass this info along to anyone who might own a Steyr. :D

Top Bottom