Stockpile on ammo now or wait? Will prices drop?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What to do about the ammo delema ?

• Stockpile as much as you can. I might run out for a very long time!

Votes: 17 12.8%
    • Just wait... Ammo priced will drop.

Votes: 60 45.1%
    • Buy your ammo like normal. It's not like they're going to stop selling it.

Votes: 48 36.1%
    • You're looking in the wrong places. I just bought 1000 rounds for $200!

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

Blake74u

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Pineville, Louisiana
    It pretty much depends on the ammo. .223 and 9mm aren't worth stockpiling at lucrative prices right now. They'll still be around after a 2nd AWB. Exotic calibers are another story. Anything Russian, at the current prices... even with the ridiculous fear-induced price increases, have a 50-50% chance of becoming a wise bet. How AWBII will affect importation of ammo will be something to see... (Not to fret though, there are plenty of U.S. manufacturers of the Russian ammos. -Just not at the current cheaper prices.) Anything Russian and Steel Core should be purchased in a heartbeat. (Hard to find as it's no longer imported... But occasionally pops up on Gunbroker...) Just in case.

In other words, if you shoot Russian, I'd invest in reloading equipment... Just in case.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

egl1962

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    it all depends. if you run an ar platform, i would wait. there will be 223/5.56 around again. if you run an ak platform, buy what you can. the prices were holding for a little while, but they have started the move to insaneville too. they will reintroduce the un treaty again and this time it will be signed. it will stop all of the imported ammo from russia which means all the ak ammo. the american ammo makers will fill the hole in the market when that happens by making ammo but the days of 5.00 a box for 7.62x39 will be gone forever. look at the limited amount of us made ak ammo available now. 15.00-25.00 a box.

MikeR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Carencro
    I've begun to replenish my stock of bullets, will soon be getting more powder & primers. For 5.56, I can load it for around 20¢/rnd, which is much cheaper than the current rate.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I did a mini-stockpile maneuver. Pic dated day of delivery, ordered 12/15/12:
    34nmwm1.jpg

Last edited:

ShamanShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It is my understanding that there was also another huge ammo order put in place by the US Government, that was slide in at some point in early December.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    to the 50% that said ammo will go down except for randum sale when has it gone down ?

Last summer I picked up 14-16K rounds of 7.62x39 for under $200 per K... First time I really bought ammo since 2007.

Like what was said... buy when no one's selling and sell when everyone's buying, basic free market rules...

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I am just sad that we are going to be seeing an increase in our membership with a bunch of people creeping on here trying to make a profit by selling their guns and ammo at crazy prices. It is already happening but I see more instances popping up each time I log on. I guess the best we can do is ignore them.

+1 on that, brother! They are the same leeches you see on La. Sportsman, asking $10,000 for an AR. I mean, really? I know Daniel Defense makes a good rifle, but not for $10,000!!!!

krj1949

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Abbeville, LA
    Typical.....reduce demand and prices will go down. It is the people that are not involved enough to be associated with any sites and forums that are the ones overpaying on all this and causing prices to go up. Sit back on what is stored and it'll come around.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Typical.....reduce demand and prices will go down. It is the people that are not involved enough to be associated with any sites and forums that are the ones overpaying on all this and causing prices to go up. Sit back on what is stored and it'll come around.

This, I've been buying all my normal calibers a box a week for the last 4 years but caught with my pants down with .223 and managed to get a pretty good deal thanks to a member here and now have enough to get the rifle running.

Top Bottom