STOLEN GUNS and how to avoid them?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    EXACTLY! Which is why we should have a resource to verify stolen firearm! Your local LE should be able to say "please call/visit this phone number/website for that information". Of all the stupid, useless, .gov programs we fund that don't accomplish ANYTHING, we can't have one that would actually take stolen firearms off the streets!? :mad:

I would like to walk into a gun store with the buyer of my firearm, pay a 10.00 fee (limited to 10.00 by federal regulation), wait for a background check to be done on both parties and for a serial number check to be done on the firearm (stolen/used in committing a crime check), and receive a receipt when done. The receipt can be saved in case that firearm ends up in an investigation.

Because of federal gun regulations that already exist, the above would give me piece of mind. This idea should be OPTIONAL.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Is dealing with LEO before or after more difficult? -- Is what you need to ask yourself. You only stand to lose (if anything goes wrong.. ie. he's a felon, or under 21, in short... not legally able to possess a firearm) by giving in to someone not wanting to do a bill of sale or by not wanting to do a bill of sale yourself. It's only purpose is to protect you. If the quick sale is more important to you... go for it (at your own risk).

Now, if you acquired the firearm WITHOUT a bill of sale initially and are selling it in the same manor, there's no paper trail in the first place. However, you should still have concern if the buyer is legally able to possess the firearm.

It sounds like you're dealing with some pretty shady people (no offense)... definitely not the same supporters of "If you have nothing to hide and are obtaining the firearm legally, what are you afraid of?"... these are the same people that don't fill out the SSN on the 4473... or think that by doing a background check in Louisiana "the government" knows what you're buying... In fact, NOT putting your SSN could actually DELAY your response... all it takes is someone with a similar name that is a dirtbag... or if you have a military clearance... or TWIC card... or anything that would cause the investigator to need elevated privileges to view your record. The SSN assists with that. If you do get delayed often... you can call the ATF and get a UID (Unique Identification Number) that identifies you directly.

By filling out a 4473 in the state of Louisiana and having the background check done... you are not providing ANY information on the firearm you're purchasing other than if it is a pistol, rifle or other (or even if you're actually purchasing one for that matter... as far as the ATF is concerned... you're just having a background check run). Can they trace the firearm back to the purchase? Of course... so how is leaving your SSN off helping? Sometimes I just don't get it.

Thanks for the response,I only deal with people on this site when buying or selling used guns .most of the people I dealt with are great people . If i have any suspicion when I meet a fellow bayoushooter member and especially the ones who don't want to meet in an open area then I walk away..ive only had to walk away from one guy a while back because he seemed shady and was reeking the smell of alcohol (he cursed me out and wanted to fight because he said I wasted his time)

My issue is buying a user gun from someone who themselves brought it used and also dealing with those types "or think that by doing a background check in Louisiana "the government" knows what you're buying" ...i try to only buy first owner guns from people who still have there recipes but sometimes there's deals on here that are real good but I find myself second guessing alot..I just figured they should by now have a system that private citizens gave access too so they can look up and see if guns are stolen or not..

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I would like to walk into a gun store with the buyer of my firearm, pay a 10.00 fee (limited to 10.00 by federal regulation), wait for a background check to be done on both parties and for a serial number check to be done on the firearm (stolen/used in committing a crime check), and receive a receipt when done. The receipt can be saved in case that firearm ends up in an investigation.

Because of federal gun regulations that already exist, the above would give me piece of mind. This idea should be OPTIONAL.

Only $10? I turned down someone on Louisiana Sportsman who wanted me to meet him at his friends gun shop and pay $35 plus sales tax for a NICS check. All this for a M91 Nagant rifle that was $200! The new total would have been $255 for a rifle that was listed for $200.
    That really put a bad taste in my mouth regarding the involvement of shops in private sales.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    no SN# check is done when you do a NICS check, they don't ask for the serial number, or even the make and model.
    If you show up at a LEO Office with the cased gun, and explain to them what you want to do, they will generally do it for you, I always do, but explain to them that if it is stolen, I'm confiscating it and your gonna have some explaining as to where/whom you got it.

Nobody will do them over the phone.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    You can't leave us hanging.... Give us the Reader's Digest version!

My bad didn't have time,I was about to type up what happen untill the wife came up to me and said "you never have time for me you're always on the phone blah blah blah " speach lol so I couldn't tell yall what happen yesterday.it kind of made me paranoid and made me want to slow down on buying used guns that are not "1 owner used guns"..

Before I dive into it,I also want to say that i know bayoushooter does a great job at weeding out the scammers(i know this because the other day I posted a WTB add and received an email saying someone PM"ED me and when I went to check the PM,it was gone,deleted so obviously the good folks at bayoushooter banned the account of the scammer..

Now,I own a retail shop in houma,among alot of my good hardworking customers,i also have what some would call "the undesirables"..the thugs,dope dealers,theives,felons etc..

Yesterday while at work I was browsing the market place on my laptop that was on the counter,i open a page and a big a $$ picture of a hk usp45 popped up.i had a customer who I know for a fact is a dope dealer and is a convicted felon saw what I was looking at..he was like "Oh you like bayou shooter too" I was like yea,why?you know about this fourm?.he was like yea i heard about it and someone told me i can sell my "xd45" on there..we started chit chatting about the gun..i was trying to keep him off this fourm so I told him "you know if you go to the pawnshop down the road that they'll give you way more than what those cheap a$$es on bayoushooter will give you?..then he got closer to me and whispered "I know but the pawnshop is going to run the SN#" then I was like so what?what if they do?..he was like I got this Xd from my boy and I don't know from where he got it etc..at this point it's becoming clear that there's a high chance that this XD45 is stolen...
    This is when I started to really really try and keep him off this fourm,i started to tell him about some new laws and some laws I was just making up LOL like how "im 2017 they passed a new law which gives private citizens access to the police database to check SN#.and I told him how everyone on bayoushooter now has access to this new database,so if you're going to try and sell a gun on here then it's going to be the same way as the pawnshop,THEY WILL LOOK UP THE SN# and if it comes up stolen then you'll be in big trouble..i got the point across to him because he looked scared and down since he won't be able to sell his gun and im sure he won't be on here selling anything..

At my shop,i have a CRAPPY security camera setup on a 1990s tubular TV,i couldn't get a clear picture of this guy neither but just incase,i would stay far away from any XD45 sales adds coming out of houma,the guy is about 5"9 180pounds and looks to be native American..

Now this guy is what has me paranoid and made me make this post,I know if i ever had to meet this guy to do a private transaction,i would run away..But some people won't and they'll make the deal and then come 3-4months later they'll be selling the same gun again...at one point when business was good i was on here buying used guns,most with Bill of sales and honestly some i didnt even bother asking for a bill of sale but I beleive that everyone I've dealt with on here where stand up professional people..a few months ago my buisness went south so I literally had to sell ALL the guns I brought from here and from gun stores to pay my bills.. now has business picked up again and im happy to say All my guns are brand new and came from gun stores or acdemy sports and outdoors..i do have 2 that I brought from here 2 weeks ago from member on here that is also a LEO,im not worried about those 2 because the guy has been a member on here for a while..
    So I guess in closing I will be setting some guidelines for myself when buying used guns off of fourms..
    1. Identification and a bill of sale is a MUST.
    2.i will start removing my number from any forsale or WTB adds so non members can not contact me..if you can't send me a PM so i can also check out your history and profile on here then im not interested.
    3.must have over 100posts on whatever fourm im buying fourm.

These are the rules I set for myself when buying or trading from now on..

These aren't really new rules but I can't lie and say I've never broken one of them before but untill i have access to whatever database LEO'S use to check for stolen guns,i will strictly be sticking to those 3 rules..

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I like a point that you made in regards to not doing business with people without accounts. I only do business with those who have accounts and who have some sort of iTrader feedback. If an account is relatively new, I will absolutely contact people that they have done business with before and inquire about their details.

Another note about iTrader: Anytime someone gets negative feedback, I get an email about it. If the feedback is bad enough, I will reach out to both parties and see what happened. If a new user comes on here and tries to act up in deals, they will get banned every single time.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Austin,

Why not prevent people from posting in the Marketplace at all until they hit a predetermined post count? Like 20 or 40. I've seen this done before, seems like I remember Glock Talk employs this strategy. Prevents people from joining up solely to post a classified here from day one. Surely an unknown value as far as reputation. Got one right now, the lost soul :)

And prevents or slows down what Moe posted above. What is the negative to such a strategy, a min post count to post to Marketplace?

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I like a point that you made in regards to not doing business with people without accounts. I only do business with those who have accounts and who have some sort of iTrader feedback. If an account is relatively new, I will absolutely contact people that they have done business with before and inquire about their details.

Another note about iTrader: Anytime someone gets negative feedback, I get an email about it. If the feedback is bad enough, I will reach out to both parties and see what happened. If a new user comes on here and tries to act up in deals, they will get banned every single time.

You do realize there is a whole world out there that doesn't even know what Bayoushooter is don't you. And in that world people do sell and buy firearms.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    Only $10? I turned down someone on Louisiana Sportsman who wanted me to meet him at his friends gun shop and pay $35 plus sales tax for a NICS check. All this for a M91 Nagant rifle that was $200! The new total would have been $255 for a rifle that was listed for $200.
    That really put a bad taste in my mouth regarding the involvement of shops in private sales.

Correct - only 10.00 for private firearm sales. I said limited to 10 by federal regulation.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've been on here for almost 5 years and just started posting in the last couple of months. All I used BS for was buying and selling (mostly buying). I think the difference on BS is that it is actively moderated and regulated. However, that doesn't mean that scammers can't get on and try to take advantage. You have to watch out for yourself and pay attention to who you think you are dealing with (out of state phone #; shady meeting place; flaking out on meeting up...). I also look at LA Sportsman and Armslist. LA Sportsman and armslist are definitely unregulated.

Speaking of, are there any other local-ish sites that y'all use for buying and selling?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Austin,

Why not prevent people from posting in the Marketplace at all until they hit a predetermined post count? Like 20 or 40. I've seen this done before, seems like I remember Glock Talk employs this strategy. Prevents people from joining up solely to post a classified here from day one. Surely an unknown value as far as reputation. Got one right now, the lost soul :)

And prevents or slows down what Moe posted above. What is the negative to such a strategy, a min post count to post to Marketplace?
    It might prevent some scammers, but in general it doesn't do the good that you would want it to. A lot of our users come here for the marketplace, and then stay later for the content.

We recently have been banning scammers who made accounts back two plus years ago, posted intermittently over the years, and now are trying to use the accounts to scam people. Think about that: They literally set an account up YEARS ago with an intent to scam. Of course we have methods to combat that, but we will never weed all of the idiots out completely.

You do realize there is a whole world out there that doesn't even know what Bayoushooter is don't you. And in that world people do sell and buy firearms.

What? Really? Where?

But seriously...if I want to buy something, I can usually find it here. I don't collect antique guns or knives. If I want a Glock or M&P, it's not too terribly difficult to find it on here. If I can't and it's something I absolutely want, I just buy it new.

I've never posted an item on here for sale that did not sell (besides BayouShooter hats that I still have for sale *cough*), so it works quite well for my needs.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    It might prevent some scammers, but in general it doesn't do the good that you would want it to. A lot of our users come here for the marketplace, and then stay later for the content.

We recently have been banning scammers who made accounts back two plus years ago, posted intermittently over the years, and now are trying to use the accounts to ban people. Think about that: They literally set an account up YEARS ago with an intent to scam. Of course we have methods to combat that, but we will never weed all of the idiots out completely.

What? Really? Where?

But seriously...if I want to buy something, I can usually find it here. I don't collect antique guns or knives. If I want a Glock or M&P, it's not too terribly difficult to find it on here. If I can't and it's something I absolutely want, I just buy it new.

I've never posted an item on here for sale that did not sell (besides BayouShooter hats that I still have for sale *cough*), so it works quite well for my needs.

About dem dar hats Austin, how much you are wanting to get for them? This old mind just dont remember. :(

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    We recently have been banning scammers who made accounts back two plus years ago, posted intermittently over the years, and now are trying to use the accounts to ban people. Think about that: They literally set an account up YEARS ago with an intent to scam. Of course we have methods to combat that, but we will never weed all of the idiots out completely.

Now wait, they did this a couple years ago with the sole intention of having other members here banned much later?

I saw that post, where the guy got banned but I didn't understand what was going on really. Sort of a suggestive post to solicit comments from others. Why do they go to such efforts? What do they gain from it, Austin?

Even a year in advance.....wow! I had no idea.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Now wait, they did this a couple years ago with the sole intention of having other members here banned much later?

I saw that post, where the guy got banned but I didn't understand what was going on really. Sort of a suggestive post to solicit comments from others. Why do they go to such efforts? What do they gain from it, Austin?

Even a year in advance.....wow! I had no idea.

*Scam. Fixed.

Yeah, I had no clue people would setup fake accounts so far in advance to scam people.

And $30 / hat. PM me :]

Top Bottom