Stolen Handgun: BOLO Please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I would advise against hunting for him yourself. Let the pros do it. You are guaranteed to walk into a SHTF situation and you probably won't get out intact. You'll either get yourself killed, get a homicide charge, or find a homeboy doing his weeding and dealing who cracks you in the face and leaves you bleeding.

Trust me on this one. You're not law enforcement, you have no training and most of all, no backup.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You don't know the thief's name? Why not post it?
    You're not concerned about what he might do with it?

I'm starting to see why the cops are like "Right, that's your story, eh?"

Something seems fishy here.
    You must now change your screen name and avatar or face screen name and avatar fail jokes.

Seriously, though, if you know the guy's name call the police (not 911) and report it stolen and by whom. That is about all you can do.

I think that is a pretty hard-line stance to take.

If someone is robbed, should they be given the third degree? (OH WAIT, THAT DOES HAPPEN! When my girlfriend of 8 years had a shotgun stuck in her face at her place of employment when she was the only worker, they actually did a taped interview and accused her of being involved until I got PISSED and told the cop we were leaving)

I DO see where you are coming from though, and yes, I do know the guy's name... And have given it to the police.

I'll even post it here (his first name at least):

Braden
    White male (Possibly Mexican; speaks Spanish fluently), slightly tan complexion
    5'10"-5'11", ~180lbs
    Black hair, "fade" style, falls forward
    Dark brown eyes

That, besides the name, describes a huge populace.

Even gave the cops his mom's phone number, which they took but weren't particularly interested in... Told them everywhere I knew this guy to hang out, even offered to give the name of the good friend I originally met this guy through years and years ago (which they had no interest in) while they were accusing me of being in on something shady.

Hell if there's enough interest, I'll post this guy's exact place(s) of supposed residence also... lol

Anyway, one was Burbank / E. Boyd (House directly behind Circle K) and one was Nicholson / E. Roosevelt (White apartment with the Mexicans living in it... No better way to describe that one)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, not going to "go looking" for him per se, but I do drive by both of the residences almost daily (they are directly on the corner of big intersections which are rather unavoidable), so I may just happen to see him one day, and will hope the cops get there in time. Won't apprehend him.

I DO have a plethora of numbers this guy called me from (since he had no phone), and I'm in the process of writing all those down and using reverse caller-ID (basically, a process which gives you the name the number is registered to 100% of the time, unless it is registered to no name, such as prepaids) to get the associated names.

All of that will most certainly be turned over to the police. If they don't pursue this, I'll harass them until they do.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    You gotta admit the story sounds fishy the way you told it at first. "BOLO for stolen handgun" might be a good thread if you had no suspects, leads, or ideas. If your safe gets robbed, yes, post some pics of your guns and a BOLO, maybe.

If you get strong arm robbed, then let the cops do their thing. Let us know how it turns out.

Witiku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2006
    Totally Aside from the Thread, but I just noticed a little Irony.

Your Screen name is "Μολὼν λαβέ", or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ". Roughly translated from its Greek origins is "Come and Take". Referring to the weapon you have in your hand more specifically.... And you had your weapon taken from you by force. Leonidas and the battle of Thermopylae anyone :D

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

Just pokin' fun.. Back to the thread..:rofl:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Even walked into the police station with the gun's original case (bearing serial #, etc), manuals, receipts, etc...

It just seems absurd to me that anyone who was doing something shady would #1 Walk into a police station with their ID to report the crime and #2 Be willing to cooperate in any way to make their jobs easier, even going so far as providing original receipts for the weapon

I don't know if it is SOP (I do doubt it), but the officer at the desk even made me give him my vehicle's registration and license plate number.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Totally Aside from the Thread, but I just noticed a little Irony.

Your Screen name is "Μολὼν λαβέ", or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ". Roughly translated from its Greek origins is "Come and Take". Referring to the weapon you have in your hand more specifically.... And you had your weapon taken from you by force. Leonidas and the battle of Thermopylae anyone :D

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

Just pokin' fun.. Back to the thread..:rofl:

Rofl I was just WAITING for that joke while typing the original post. I think you and the one who mentioned the name/avatar change are the only ones who mentioned it :-D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also approaching an officer in a parking lot ~1mi from where it occurred, directly after it did (clearly frantic that this a-hole just robbed me for my handgun and is now on the streets with a loaded weapon) seems absurd to me if I were to be doing anything wrong. Like I don't know if they thought I was trying to rob someone and it got taken and I report it stolen, or what... I just can't wrap my mind around their line of thought besides "seems suspicious".

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You are aware that people have called the cops when their drugs get jacked? Also, most officers deal with a ton of domestics that fall out very similar to this.

Good luck getting your gun back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You are aware that people have called the cops when their drugs get jacked? Also, most officers deal with a ton of domestics that fall out very similar to this.

Good luck getting your gun back

Of course... We've all read the stories of 'idiot criminals', et al... However, I think that is far from the norm, and for the majority populace to be treated with the suspicion that I was when there was no need for it (provided clear and concise details to the officer, was courteous, didn't withhold information, immediately reported the crime) is absurd. Additionally, your typical "dumb criminal" would be... well... dumb. I don't think I've come off as unintelligent on this board, so I don't see why I would in person.

I guess what I'm getting at is why should the officer try to dig for something that isn't there, and that he has no reason to suspect is?

Who would WANT to report something after being treated like they're the criminal?

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    You don't know the thief's name? Why not post it?
    You're not concerned about what he might do with it?

I'm starting to see why the cops are like "Right, that's your story, eh?"

Something seems fishy here.
    You must now change your screen name and avatar or face screen name and avatar fail jokes.

Seriously, though, if you know the guy's name call the police (not 911) and report it stolen and by whom. That is about all you can do.

You gotta admit the story sounds fishy the way you told it at first. "BOLO for stolen handgun" might be a good thread if you had no suspects, leads, or ideas. If your safe gets robbed, yes, post some pics of your guns and a BOLO, maybe.

If you get strong arm robbed, then let the cops do their thing. Let us know how it turns out.

^^^^^^ This...

Question.
    Did you file charges against him for stealing your weapon? Not just a report, but actual charges. Why not give us his FULL name? Sounds like you are not being 100%.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ^^^^^^ This...

Question.
    Did you file charges against him for stealing your weapon? Not just a report, but actual charges. Why not give us his FULL name? Sounds like you are not being 100%.

I am being 100% on what I know. I am not 100% on his last name, as this was a dude I last associated with 8 years ago, when I was 16-17 years old, and have known again for several days. I'm not going to throw around a name (or any other details) if I am not 100% sure that it is accurate.

Edit: As far as other info; I just ran a reverse caller-id on all of the numbers which I have that he called me from, and all were tied to no names (save for a Circle K pay phone), save for one that is a 985 number... I looked up the associated name, got nothing. Googled the number and got a girl with the same first name as the result I got, but a different last name (guessing she got married somewhere in between)....

Found her Myspace and Facebook (It's a 985 number, and from what I can find she has lived in Slidell and Austin, TX).

Judging solely on her picture and what else I can find about her, I HIGHLY doubt she is related, so I am wondering if it might have been a stolen phone. I'm debating sending her a message, and just asking her if that is her # and seeing what kind of response I get. Either that, or call the # and ask for [her name].

Last edited:

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Ok, I don't think this has been mentioned yet. But, I'm a little disappointed to read you saying that you would have done nothing differently.

Be carrying the gun instead of having it tucked under your seat?
    Have it hidden better?
    Not have a "car gun" at all leaving it unguarded in your car to be easily stolen later.

I just have a difficult time reading that you wouldn't do anything different. You have a huge opportunity to learn from your mistakes, DO IT!

For the love of God, let the police handle this. You've already posted on the Internet that you're interested in going do the leg work yourself. Bad juju, just like this thread!

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    You said:Again, long story short; he had seen my handgun under my seat one day

That tells me you had a gun concealed.Do you have a concealed hand permit?If not you should be putting it away somewhere no1 can see it or wearing it...IMO
    And you have given the very reason a lot of LEO have what they call a backup gun,,like a .380 kel tec or luger .380 something they can put in sock ,,pocket ,,whatever..
    It does suck you gun was stolen.But I agree with most ,unless you have enough money to pay a bad man to go after a bad man ,,Then Id leave it alone and chalk it up to another life lesson learned...and be thankful to the lord you are able to sit and type your message .There is no amount of money that can bring you back from the dead or get you out of prison,,,Just remember when you go looking for trouble,you will find it,,And After being with bubba in cell block 7,,your A__ will first look like this, (.) after cell block 7 and bubba as your pappy,,,It will look like this (O) ,,Id live life and move on....The air should smell a bit sweeter:)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You said:Again, long story short; he had seen my handgun under my seat one day

That tells me you had a gun concealed.Do you have a concealed hand permit?If not you should be putting it away somewhere no1 can see it or wearing it...IMO
    And you have given the very reason a lot of LEO have what they call a backup gun,,like a .380 kel tec or luger .380 something they can put in sock ,,pocket ,,whatever..
    It does suck you gun was stolen.But I agree with most ,unless you have enough money to pay a bad man to go after a bad man ,,Then Id leave it alone and chalk it up to another life lesson learned...and be thankful to the lord you are able to sit and type your message ..The air should smell a bit sweeter:)

Louisiana considers your vehicle an extension of your home, no CCW required.

As far as a backup gun, I am not nearly paranoid enough to carry a backup gun when giving someone I know (or knew, as it may be) a ride. Maybe it would have done something, but likely it would have just caused a plethora of other problems.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok, I don't think this has been mentioned yet. But, I'm a little disappointed to read you saying that you would have done nothing differently.

Be carrying the gun instead of having it tucked under your seat?
    Have it hidden better?
    Not have a "car gun" at all leaving it unguarded in your car to be easily stolen later.

It was hidden as good as you can hide it in a sports car... He was leaning forward when he saw it, I can't help that.

I don't leave the gun in my car when I'm not in the car, but it IS (was.. heh) the one that comes with me any time I leave the house and will sit int he car while I run in the grocery store.

As far as "doing the legwork", I didn't mean that literally. I meant the investigatory aspects which I can handle remotely without putting myself in a position to encounter the guy.

I've worked with a NY PI firm doing some online investigatory work in the past... So I'm naturally trying to find out what I can through remote (very remote) channels.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned before its good to hear you are only hurt financially.

The main thing that I see would be either be more responsible with a vehicle gun, start carrying on your person OR simply NOT leave something laying around that anybody can have access and then end up on our roads and communities.

So yeah I def see things that could have been done diferent IMO.

Top Bottom