storing guns and ammo in the attic for the flood, for a few weeks maybe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    For the ammo, a short time (months) nothing will happen. We had ammo in ammo cans over in the Gulf and had no issues and it got A LOT hotter there then it will here. If you can, put some desiccant in the can. If you dont have any, bust up some drywall and put it in a sock and put that in the can (yeah, it really does work to absorb some of the moisture). If you cant do that, dont even worry about it, a few weeks really wont hurt it.

Guns on the other hand... Depending on how hot and humid it will get the wood MAY swell and you may get some surface rust on the firearms.

The ammo I would leave in a heart beat. Any "military" style guns (AR's, etc) I would oil up REALLY well and hope for the best. All my wood stocked and/or blued guns I would take with me.

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I know you say it's too much to move, but I think you have more sticky fingers to worry about than water..

When my house was flooded for Katrina, I went back like three days later and grabbed all my guns and ammo and only a few other things that was above water level... Good thing because I came back about a week later and my back door was kicked in and everything I didn't take was gone... There is never a shortage of lowlifes....

You must know some one with a shed or garage not in the flood zone, right???

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Storage space doesn't sound like bad idea. Seams the wool blanket would make it hotter which would maybe mean more sweat? I don't know lol. But good luck, hope everything works out for ya

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Do you have any friends on higher ground you could bring them to for a while. I personally would never leave guns behind in a situation like that.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    firearms oiled with thick motor oil. two things, i waited too long to start doing things and money is tight. im outta here come morning. storage is out of the question and im sure they all filled up. my jeep is filled with stuff like water, mres, supplies, clothes, ect. firearms im bringing. glock 19 with 5 mags and 300 extra rounds. s&w .44 mag with 50 bad ass rounds. mossberg 500 12 ga and 50 round of 00 buck on a belt.

i figure if i end up in a shelter or some government thing i can conceal the handguns and just leave the shotgun. this is a reason i won't bring my expensive firearms. i think im bringing enough firepower. its not the end of the world, just a pain in the ass.

im going to friend's house in morgan city and we will watch the river. im gonna try to talk them into hooking the camper up and get the hell out asap.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Just a thought. One: Motor oil will work but will be a pain to clean off and may stain up wood. Be careful with it.

If your putting them up in the attic try to lock them up some way. If you can figure a way to put a chain through the cases and around some roof supports all the better. If not maybe you lock up the attic door with a hasp. Not the best theft deterent but better than nothing.

If you do oil them in motor oil put them in a large trash bag also. This will help keep them from getting wet. This will also allow you to put them under your insulation. If you can't see them they may be overlooked by potential looters.

Just stuff off the top of my head. I wish you luck. We flooded in Katrina and I don't wish that on anyone. You guys up there are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure I speak for the majority here when I say if you need anything please let us know.

Last edited:

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I hate that you have to leave some things behind. Prayers for you and your family. Best of luck, sir. We are keeping in touch with our friends there and you are being smart. A+ on being proactive.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    A friend of mine's wife made him leave his collection in the attic when they evacuated for Katrina. He had a lot of really nice things. He lived on Belaire Dr. When he returned to the house, he was able to float the boat over the Ford Explorer in the driveway. Everything was ruined. I would take it all to higher ground.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    The difference here is that there will not be winds to tear the roof off. Just rising water. The problem is you won't know how much or how high.

When we left for Katrina we never thought we were going to flood. I just took the things I wanted to keep because I figured I was either going to lose everything to the winds taking my house down or nothing would happen. I couldn't imagine looking through my things with the realazation that the things I leave may very well be lost and I had to choose. I really feel for you guys up there. :(

Top Bottom