stripped lower to SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I'm entertaining the idea of building an SBR.
    I have a couple stripped lowers waiting for a project (actually waiting on funding and availability of parts).

In light of the shortage and demand for SBR barrels and associated parts for ARs; I was thinking of trying to start the paperwork on getting a tax stamp to make the stripped lower legal to SBR until manufacturing caught up.
    Can this be done before I have a barrel in hand?
    It would be nice to have a legal SBR lower sitting in the safe waiting on parts to build with.
    I have an idea of what length barrel I want, but not absolutely certain. Then, if it would be available?
    On other sites I saw where they were listing the overall length of the rifle instead of upper or barrel length on the forms?
    Which way is correct?

What needs to be engraved on a SBR lower?
    (special s/n or tax stamp number? Or name of trust?)
    Thanks

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can start the paperwork now. It's just the lower that's registered. With the time it takes it would be a good idea because you can slowly find parts and maybe when your paperwork comes in you'll be ready to go. I've been contemplating doing the same soon. I may be wrong on this but I believe you can have a longer barrel than what you put on the form just not shorter? If you're doing it as an individual with CLEO sign off you have to engrave your name. If you do a trust you have to engrave it with the trusts name.

ETA: Comtact Mouthpiece on here. Everyone I know who has used him in setting up trusts raves about him.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    You can start the paperwork now. It's just the lower that's registered. With the time it takes it would be a good idea because you can slowly find parts and maybe when your paperwork comes in you'll be ready to go. I've been contemplating doing the same soon. I may be wrong on this but I believe you can have a longer barrel than what you put on the form just not shorter? If you're doing it as an individual with CLEO sign off you have to engrave your name. If you do a trust you have to engrave it with the trusts name.

ETA: Comtact Mouthpiece on here. Everyone I know who has used him in setting up trusts raves about him.

You sound like you have experience sending in Form 1's.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I don't have as much experience as you. Why don't you contribute some knowledge to the OPs thread? I'm sure you can answer all his questions.
    I caught it after the edit, this version is much less oh snap.
    tumblr_m847efb9IE1qfccvpo1_400.gif

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm entertaining the idea of building an SBR.
    I have a couple stripped lowers waiting for a project (actually waiting on funding and availability of parts).

In light of the shortage and demand for SBR barrels and associated parts for ARs; I was thinking of trying to start the paperwork on getting a tax stamp to make the stripped lower legal to SBR until manufacturing caught up.
    Can this be done before I have a barrel in hand?
    It would be nice to have a legal SBR lower sitting in the safe waiting on parts to build with.
    I have an idea of what length barrel I want, but not absolutely certain. Then, if it would be available?
    On other sites I saw where they were listing the overall length of the rifle instead of upper or barrel length on the forms?
    Which way is correct?

What needs to be engraved on a SBR lower?
    (special s/n or tax stamp number? Or name of trust?)
    Thanks

OP, you need barrel lengths and overall length measurements before you send in your Form 1. It wouldn't be prudent to send paperwork in for one barrel length and then change your mind and go with one in another length.

JR1572

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I don't have as much experience as you. Why don't you contribute some knowledge to the OPs thread? I'm sure you can answer all his questions.

Just because you have a high thread count doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

Post less, shoot and read more.

JR1572

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    OP, you need barrel lengths and overall length measurements before you send in your Form 1. It wouldn't be prudent to send paperwork in for one barrel length and then change your mind and go with one in another length.

JR1572

If you put down 11.5" on your form you can't later change your barrel to 12.5"? Can you send something in to notify them of a change? Thanks.

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I agree with you.
    Thought I'd just go with the shortest 300 Blackout barrel to start with; maybe other uppers down the road.
    Still trying to figure out which barrel is the most efficient power/accuracy-wise for length. And I want to run sub and supersonic in it.

But let's say that I don't have a barrel or spare SBR uppers (and I don't) and it won't be 10 months or longer before one or parts are available; can I register the stripped lower without a known barrel length or would I just put down my intended barrel length;
    and if anything changed barrel length-wise (due to availability) then notify ATF of the change?

And/or what would be the harm of just a stripped legal SBR lower waiting on parts?
    The intent here is to stay legal.
    Originally I wasn't interested in SBRs; I wasn't going to get "on the list" for a couple of inches of barrel; 16" was just fine.
    But since I got into the suppressor game, why the hell not?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I agree with you.
    Thought I'd just go with the shortest 300 Blackout barrel to start with; maybe other uppers down the road.
    Still trying to figure out which barrel is the most efficient power/accuracy-wise for length. And I want to run sub and supersonic in it.

But let's say that I don't have a barrel or spare SBR uppers (and I don't) and it won't be 10 months or longer before one or parts are available; can I register the stripped lower without a known barrel length or would I just put down my intended barrel length;
    and if anything changed barrel length-wise (due to availability) then notify ATF of the change?

And/or what would be the harm of just a stripped legal SBR lower waiting on parts?
    The intent here is to stay legal.
    Originally I wasn't interested in SBRs; I wasn't going to get "on the list" for a couple of inches of barrel; 16" was just fine.
    But since I got into the suppressor game, why the hell not?

You need to know your lengths. You can't put Caliber: Multi
    Barrel length: Under 16
    Overall length: Under 26

They want specifics.

I'm giving you my advice from my experience. If you aren't happy with the information I gave you, please feel free to call the ATF at 304-616-4500 and ask them. It may be better to ask for someone in the technical branch and wait for them to contact you. Last time I did that it took 2 days. I'm sure now it will take longer because more people are calling up asking questions now so they can join the club.

JR1572

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Hey, your help and advice is much appreciated.

It's just the Catch22 that kills me.
    To have the "exact lengths" I'd have all the parts for an SBR but no stamp; and that's not kosher either.

eta: iirc I have some lowers roll stamped as "Caliber - Multi". I wonder how that would work out? Send them a picture?
    btw - point taken

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have two SBR stamps. I can tell you my experience.

You don't need your barrel now. In fact you can't legally have your barrel now so how are you supposed to know your dimensions? Just put your planned length and overall dimensions. Get your stamp back a year from now. Then buy whatever upper (or several uppers) you want. Update the ATF with the new dimensions if you feel like it. It's not required by any law that you update them. The specs on the form are only to help them identity the firearm if there is a problem like if its stolen and recovered. You can go longer or shorter than what's on your form 1. The stamp is for an sbr which is anything under 16". Doesn't matter how far under as long as you got the stamp.

That's my experience. You can call and ask an examiner yourself or write in and get a writtrn opinion from them in a year or so.

Last edited:

TinM@n

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    ± § ± § FYI,± § ± §
    I put in an order for a Rock River 10.5" upper in .223 on 20 DEC 13 and I got it in the mail today.
    That should give you some estimate of a lead time, at lease from them.
    My total wait time was 3 month, 10 days.
    Not bad considering what they are going through.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom