Stripper clips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Question for military/Leo's:

I've bought and used quite a few used 5.56/.223 stripper clips and after a little hoppe's #9 they work like new. Some though, look like the rounds were torn off sideways and the guide is usually ruined. Why would this happen? Is it a technique or just really hard usage?

Sorry if this was already discussed; searched but unable to find anything.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    some people may tear them off sideways. theyre are dumbasses everywhere. also a lot of the time the stripper clips are thrown on the ground and are walked on, driven over etc and arent picked up until everyone police calls at the end of the range. no telling what happens after it gets to drmo

RedOne451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    Thx, I just couldn't understand any scenario where you would need to tear them off sideways.

Texasflyboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Some though, look like the rounds were torn off sideways and the guide is usually ruined. Why would this happen? Is it a technique or just really hard usage?

It's both. Technique in that the proper use of the 10 round stripper clip mated with the loading tool requires that the web of the hand that pushes the rounds into the magazine be at the base of the cartridge rather than in the center of the projectile area. If you attempt to push the cartridges off of the stripper clip by pressing on the round too far forward, the rounds underneath with begin to twist because of the 5.56 cartridge taper.

Also, any grit or grime that works its way into the stripper clip may cause the rounds to bind when you begin to exert force. Unless you are pushing fairly evenly, and squarely over the base of the round, again the rounds below will start to press outwards, which may ultimately cause the base of the round being squeezed to rip out of the stripper clip sideways.

Unless the ammunition was fresh from the ammo can, I've always carefully inspected loaded stripper clips for dirt/grit/grime/sand. I randomly test a few from each new batch unless its come straight from the ammo can.

If I get a few failures to strip correctly, the ammo has probably been contaminated with foreign materiel. Its best to leave loaded 10 round stripper clips in the factory ammo can or in the cloth bandoleers until needed.

When I loaded my own 10 round stripper clips, I only used 100% inspected clips. I broke down each clip by removing the brass insert, tooth-brushing the steel housing clean, and then reassembling them into usable clips. A fired 5.56 round makes a quick and easy Q/C check by running it through the assembled clip. If the case runs through cleanly without dragging, its a good clip. I assembled by loaded clips in a very clean dry environment and then stored them in the cardboard boxes inside cloth bandoleers packed in .30 Caliber ammo cans. I never open the can unless its to remove one or more bandoleers. I never leave the can open at the range.

I've rarely had a failure since 1991 using this method.

YMMV.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom