Stripper wont remove stain Remington 1100

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • idamaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I am refinishing the stock on my remington 1100 and was following an instructional on youtube. I first used an aerosol pain stripper, it didnt work so I thought id follow another video where citristrip was used. It did not work. I read an article about using bleach to pull the stain out of the wood. That is what I am planning on doing next. What should I do to remove the stain?

idamaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just put a coat of citristrip on it not too long ago so I didnt want to wipe it off. It practically looks the same, just without the sheen of the citristrip.

photo (1).jpg

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You can bleach the stock, but that sometimes gives a much lighter result that you might expect. If you are just wanting to remove the remaining stain, first try scrubbing the stock (use something like a dishwashing brush) with ammonia soap (like Parson's) mixed with a little Tide detergent. Wipe with distilled water, then it dry. Knock down any raised grain with some 000 steel or bronze wool and you are ready for refinishing. The appearance when you wipe with distilled water will be somewhat close to what it will look like when finished without adding additional color. If you want to change the color, consider using wood dye rather than stain, since the dye penetrates into the wood and will not hide the grain like some stains will.

Do not mix ammonia and bleach under any circumstances, because that creates chloramine gas, and if you have enough bleach, possibly liquid hydrazine. Very toxic.

Last edited:

idamaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I have some bleach, ammonia, and of course some tide detergent. Would using just the regular ammonia and detergent do the job or do I need to go buy soap?

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Plain ammonia and soap should work fine, but I've always used the commercially prepared ammonia soap. Not sure what the correct ratio should be, but you might start with a couple of cups of ammonia add a teaspoon of Tide.

That's a pretty nice looking stock...be careful if you wind up using bleach. Again, do not mix bleach and ammonia!

idamaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    I ended up sanding anywhere that had clear coat and then used a cloth and steam ironed the stock. This is what it looks like now. It doesnt seem to be anywhere as light colored as the other stocks ive seen being refinished. Is this the way the wood looks or should I continue doing something else?
    photo (2).jpg

idamaster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Shreveport
    Also, to add to my last question: I bought some wood conditioner to apply before the stain but Ive been told not to use it. Should I use it?

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I also had a hard time stripping an 870. I tried several applications with no luck. Finally I sanded it down first then applied stripper. That was better. I finally just stained over it.

BTW, I used a grey water based stain over the remaining wood stain. It came out with a really nice mix...

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I ended up sanding anywhere that had clear coat and then used a cloth and steam ironed the stock. This is what it looks like now. It doesnt seem to be anywhere as light colored as the other stocks ive seen being refinished. Is this the way the wood looks or should I continue doing something else?
    View attachment 34339

Looks to me like you are down to the bare wood. Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like walnut, which is a little darker than many other woods used for gun stocks. Not sure if it is a shadow, but the portion of the stock near the butt does not seem to be sanded to the same degree as the rest of the stock. That will show up big when it is finished, so you might want to carefully sand (or steel wool) so that the stock looks the same overall. Be very careful sanding at the butt, because it is incredibly easy to round the sharp edge that mates with the butt plate, and a rounded edge there is very noticeable and decreases the value of the gun.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    try murphys oil soap, itll lighten up the wood some by removing any stray stripper or oils, and wood dust.

wet the stock with hot water and rub the murphys into the wood with a coarse cloth. rinse with hot water.

Top Bottom