Stuck between a Savage and a Savage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    I've got my eyes on two rifles, one is the Savage FCP-K in .308 24" barrel +muzzle break and the other is the Savage Model 10FP 22" barrel. My plan is to use whichever one I buy in FPR and hopefully FTR but I know that brakes aren't allowed in FTR. Both are used w/ low round counts and show no signs of excessive wear. I really want the FCP-K but I'm not sure about removing the brake and placing a thread protector on it. Has anyone ever done this and did it affect how the gun shot? BTW the FCP-K is $50 cheaper than the FP so that's a plus.

peterf225

Rating - 100%
    126   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Prairieville
    Get which ever you want. I had a savage that shot better without the brake. If you intend on shooting FTR shoot it without the brake. No need to have two different loads (one with brake and one without).

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Both sound nice.
    Only other thing I could think of would be location of bolt release
    If the bolt release is located on the trigger guard instead of on top right hand side of the action, it will be tough if you ever decide to put a bottom metal on and use AI mags.
    My neighbor has a FCP-k.
    It shoots well. He has made a few FPR matches with it.
    His only complaint was the stock, but that was cured with a Karsten cheek rest.
    Hope to see you out on the line shooting with us soon.

vmcdonald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Greenwell Springs, LA
    Went and picked it up this morning. It is the Savage Model 10 FCP-K in .308, along with a PRI one piece base which was already mounted on the gun. $549 OTD at Cabelas in Gonzales. I'm going to Sherburne in the morning to run some rounds through it. Cabelas still has the FCP w/ the 22" barrel on the used rack, it is marked $649 but they told me they could go down to $600 if anyone is interested. It turns out that the FCP is NIB never fired (unless factory fired), accustock, and accutrigger. I'll post a pic later if I can figure out how.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom