Stuck tang screw on Browning a5

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    I have a old browning auto a5 and i was taking it apart to clean. I have all the screw out but that rear tang screw is stuck stuck stuck. I have tried everything from the special thin bits to impact driver and soldering iron to heat the screwhead. Does anyone else have any tips or hints that would help me get this thing off. all the research i have done says to drill the head off and then go from there.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been working on Brownings a lot longer than I care to think about. Kroil was a decent suggestion, but remember that it's not the head end that's stuck, it's the threaded end that is frozen and is hidden. You're gonna soak a lot of oil into the wood to get any to the threads, kinda like putting penetrating oil on the stock nut in an 1100. My suggestion is to use a piece of 1/4" brass as a punch rapping the head of the screw several times. Then using a screwdriver tip that FITS the slot, chuck the bit in your drill press. Clamp the action in your vise carefully lining it up and bring the tip downward to engage. You can now hold downward pressure in alignment while turning the chuck to back the screw out. Once it cracks loose you're good to go. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I have used kroil and nothing. I also tried a suggestion by Athens gunsmith to usea punch to turn the head by hitting at an angle. My next step will be the drillpress like you suggest here. If i cant get it out like that is my only other choice to drill it out completely?

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Happened to remember another trick. Strip off the barrel and other loose hardward and put it in the freezer (chest type) for a couple of days. This often loosens the rust/gunk. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 treatments. You may have a slight problem with SWMBO about hardware in her freezer. Goat

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    Thanks Goat. I will try it and since im a single dad i dont think the kids will mind hardware next to the icecream for a day or two. ;) If i still cant get it I see you are in between alex and BR. If you are closer to alex any chance you may be able to help a newbie with some hands on work?

Top Bottom