Study says 30 street gangs with more than 500 members at large in Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Why is there such a denial that the problem exists? I've only here for 2 years and could see it's the same as any other city. It almost helps them [the gangs] operate better without any spotlight on them. I never understood that here.
    . Because if you say there are "Gangs" your a racist and it looks bad for BR. I have a DVD called Thuging it and loving it, all about the gangs and drug money in BR.

gabesurface

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow - I didn't realize this was news in my hometown of Columbus, IN (the newspaper from the link posted).

Having lived here for the last 5 years and taught in the high poverty neighborhoods where most of the videos people on here have posted are from, I never really called what we have gangs - I always called them "neighborhood alliances". The truth of the matter is, who cares what you call them - BR has a serious crime problem - something my hometown obviously doesn't have since they have to report on ours, haha.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I am glad IBM chose to come to Baton Rouge. However, news like this is not helping BR attract fortune 500 companies. These people are a drain on our community. I wish the police would get serious and make the Greater Baton Rouge Area so unbearable they move elsewhere. Like Chicago.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    These people are a drain on our community. I wish the police would get serious and make the Greater Baton Rouge Area so unbearable they move elsewhere.

Careful what you say. That might, since gangs often engage heavily in the drug trade, inadvertantly get the police involved in "The War on Drugs," which according to many people, even on this site, is a hugely unjust waste of time that targets innocent, God-fearing, organic herbal healers and makes them ground-up victims of the oppressive government machine. Oh, wait, did you mean "those" drug users/dealers? The ones from "certain neighborhoods" of "certain demographics" that are OK for police to harass because they, you know, "look" or "sound" different?

All sarcasm aside, this kind of thing goes in cycles for police. Politicians, in response to one constituency, want to be seen as "doing something about crime," so the pressure is put on police to "clean up the problem." After a term of police using the most effective tactics they can to "clean up the problem" where it is found and rooted deeply, other politicians responding to that constituency loudly cry foul with allegations of brutality/corruption/harassment and demand "something be done about the police." It's a fairly rough brushing of the topic, and I by no means defend or condone racism, corruption, brutality, or infringement of civil rights, it mostly comes down to standing back and looking at how absurd it is when we quake in fear over buzzwords like "profiling" or "racist" to the point that we stare at the problem right in front of us but do absolutely nothing about it.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Careful what you say. That might, since gangs often engage heavily in the drug trade, inadvertantly get the police involved in "The War on Drugs," which according to many people, even on this site, is a hugely unjust waste of time that targets innocent, God-fearing, organic herbal healers and makes them ground-up victims of the oppressive government machine. Oh, wait, did you mean "those" drug users/dealers? The ones from "certain neighborhoods" of "certain demographics" that are OK for police to harass because they, you know, "look" or "sound" different?

All sarcasm aside, this kind of thing goes in cycles for police. Politicians, in response to one constituency, want to be seen as "doing something about crime," so the pressure is put on police to "clean up the problem." After a term of police using the most effective tactics they can to "clean up the problem" where it is found and rooted deeply, other politicians responding to that constituency loudly cry foul with allegations of brutality/corruption/harassment and demand "something be done about the police." It's a fairly rough brushing of the topic, and I by no means defend or condone racism, corruption, brutality, or infringement of civil rights, it mostly comes down to standing back and looking at how absurd it is when we quake in fear over buzzwords like "profiling" or "racist" to the point that we stare at the problem right in front of us but do absolutely nothing about it.

My comments are directed more to the people committing violence and murder on citizens in their own community. Not peaceful herb farmers. As to racism ferret the bad actors out without respect to color. My point is to try to contain this element or they will blight the city.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    No they don't. If that was the case places like; Houston Tx, Durham NC, Atlanta GA, and Memphis TN wouldn't be gaining businesses.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Hell in the last 2 years Forbes, Fortune, And the Wall St Journal have all ranked New Orleans as a top place to do buisness and as having one of the fastest growing buisness sectors.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I remember the time I heard some tool from one of the nat'l talk shows discussing the murder rate in Louisiana- and uttering in so many words that 'those crazy ragin' Cajuns down there are killing one another.' :bowrofl:

Now there's someone who clearly did some hard-nosed research on this subject. :doh:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom