Stupid question from a newbie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    I'm a first time semi-auto pistol owner with a dumb question. How long can a magazine be kept loaded without worrying about weakening the spring? Should it be loaded less than full capacity for less tension on the spring over long term? I couldn't find anything on this topic and do not know the answer.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    what kind of gun/mag?

I've ran thousands of rounds through each of my glocks over the last year, and each only has 3 mags. When I'm not using them for training they are fully loaded to capacity.

The mags on my GF's Sig P220 have a few thousand rounds as well, each has been loaded for well over a year when not being used for training.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    mags

Its the Springfield gi 1911. 1-stock mag that came with it. And 2 Mccormick 8 round mags.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Springfield Gi 1911. I have the stock 7 rounder. And 2 Mccormick 8 round magazines as well. I have had no problems with them was just wondering about this.

jeremyws1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Ruston, LA
    Short story...

I found a Browning Hi Power magazine my father loaded who knows how long ago (over 5 years). One of the rounds was loaded wrong. It might have even been loaded vertically. It was then topped off until it was "full." I even think the follower was at a strange angle. I unloaded the magazine (thank goodness) , and it has never given me a problem. Of course, I only use it at the range. I wouldn't place my life on it, but it works nevertheless.

Last edited:

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    The old thought was to down load them or change them out from time to time. Now a lot of "experts" believe it's the cycling of the spring that could wear them out the most. The more you use them, the more they could wear.

There have been reports of mags being loaded for a very long time (10+ years) and still going strong

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    springs don't lose their strength when stored in duration in either a compressed or non-compressed state. its the 'springing' action that makes them lose strength.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    springs don't lose their strength when stored in duration in either a compressed or non-compressed state. its the 'springing' action that makes them lose strength.

There's your answer.

And by the way, there are no stupid questions here. Feel free to ask anything if you need to.

If unsure, a smart man will always ask. Knowledge beats ignorance every time. ;)

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA

Not totally true, but I'll let that go. But, for the sake of this discussion, I've never seen a magazine spring
    compressed so long that it failed to feed.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There was a story that came out a few months ago about a building in Germany being demolished. There was a time vault in the basement. When they opened it, among the less important historical items they found a MP-40 and 3 loaded mags. The story is that the construction worker that found it took it out to the country and fired off one of the mags before turning it in to the government. Supposively it fired the full mag without a stoppage.
    I don't know how true the rest of the story is but I'm inclined to believe at least the mag portion of it... I inherited a Lee Enfield #5 that hadn't been fired in twenty years and had been kept loaded. I still use that mag. I've never had a problem with it and I know I've put 500+ rounds through it since then.

Top Bottom