Sugar Ants

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    I have a huge sugar ant problem. I cant set a cup down without them covering it it in 10 minutes. I have sprayed all baseboards and all points I can think of to poison them but they still come back. I will only see 1 0r 2 and then ill kill them and next thing I know they are everywhere. I have tried to find path or anything but just cant track them. Any tips/tricks for ridding me of them.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Me, my neighbor-husband and the person that lives next to me have all had these little guys over the past few months. I found 2 of them in my bathtub last night, and a few in my kitchen under my stove. I legit pulled my fridge and stove out and cleaned/treated under both of those. Swiffer the kitchen at least once a week, vacuum and 409 EVERYTHING.

So far they haven't been back.

Knocking on wood.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Find the mound where they are coming from and pour some corn starch all around. They will eat it and take it back to the mother land. Once they have eaten it it will swell inside them and they all DIE!!!! Have used this trick many times for fire ants so I am guessing it should work for sugar ants.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Sugar ants live in walls. You'll need to spend time amd find their trail that way you can put bait around the hole in the wall. Buy a bait that has sugar and protein in it. Most baits you can put a dime size pattern per linerar foot. Don't cover the whole they are entering/exiting out of

dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have a huge sugar ant problem. I cant set a cup down without them covering it it in 10 minutes. I have sprayed all baseboards and all points I can think of to poison them but they still come back. I will only see 1 0r 2 and then ill kill them and next thing I know they are everywhere. I have tried to find path or anything but just cant track them. Any tips/tricks for ridding me of them.

That's a lot of ants to come back so quickly.
    The rasberry crazy ant (not a joke) are relatively new to the area and have been reported in Louisiana. Are you sure you're not fighting those?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    That's a lot of ants to come back so quickly.
    The rasberry crazy ant (not a joke) are relatively new to the area and have been reported in Louisiana. Are you sure you're not fighting those?

I had to look those up, those are what get into my girlfriends car whenever it rains while she is parked at work.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    TERRO-PCO and you can find it at Wal Mart in small packages.

Seconded. May take time if you have a large infestation, but will kill them all.

80208780.png

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    As mentioned already, the liquid ant killer is the stuff to get. I battled the damn things for years with sprays and cleaners and they always managed to come back when they wanted. I was told about some stuff called Terro ant killer and it works. Once the little dudes get a gut full of it and bring it back home to kill the queen(s) they will not be back. Just a few drops placed in the area where they are and they will flock to the drops and look like a herd of cattle around a pond. Within hours they will usually disappear not to return. Stuff is real cheap too and you can get it at Lowes or Home depot. Looks like the Terro above is a newer version of what I have...get it and I think your problem will be gone...
    It seems to work with all ants I've had problems with.

eradicater

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Alexandria
    They are very tiny and black. I have searched and searched for a path but they seem to be roaming aimlessly around when I find them. I tried a trick online i found of putting baby powder to track them but it never leads anywhere I can find. I do have a raspberry bush that has taken over my front hedge. They may be coming from there. I will try some of the Terrro mentioned here and see what it does. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    BORAX is what you need you can find it in the laundry detergent area of most stores mix it with sugar about half and half or peanut butter and sprinkle it around the ants trail or set it out on a piece of paperthey take it back to queen and it kills her also works on mounds outside for fireants thats what I use it on good luck

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    BORAX is what you need you can find it in the laundry detergent area of most stores mix it with sugar about half and half or peanut butter and sprinkle it around the ants trail or set it out on a piece of paperthey take it back to queen and it kills her also works on mounds outside for fireants thats what I use it on good luck

Borax works pretty good on various bugs. My apartment in Baton Rouge had all kinds of bugs no matter how much I cleaned I kept finding them. Becoming desperate I read online to coat the floors/window channels/door gaps/gaps in the molding with Borax and it will get on their feet/feelers and eventually they consume it and die.

Worked pretty damn good and did what all the bug bombs and over the shelf pesticides couldn't do.

If you have pets this is probably not the best choice though unless you can put it in areas the pets can't get to like under the stove.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Borax works pretty good on various bugs. My apartment in Baton Rouge had all kinds of bugs no matter how much I cleaned I kept finding them. Becoming desperate I read online to coat the floors/window channels/door gaps/gaps in the molding with Borax and it will get on their feet/feelers and eventually they consume it and die.

Worked pretty damn good and did what all the bug bombs and over the shelf pesticides couldn't do.

If you have pets this is probably not the best choice though unless you can put it in areas the pets can't get to like under the stove.

That is the bad thing about living in an apartment. No matter how clean you keep your space if your neighbors are nasty and dirty the bugs will overflow to your living area. Almost the same as living in the barracks in the military.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    sprays wont work. get $4 bottle of clear bait poison at Lowes and pht in their path. theyll eat and be gone the next day. make take a couple if applicatikns but it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom