Suggestions for AR Flip-Up Rear Sight?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jesse

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Mandeville
    I've got a Bushmaster Patrolman's 16" and I'm replacing the carrying handle with a red dot sight (I think an Eotech), and I'm looking for a flip-up rear sight. Anyone got any preference/advice? Thanks!

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    It took me a few minutes to get over having a plastic sight on my gun but I really like the Magpul MBUS rear sight. I don't care for the front MBUS though. I tried a Troy first but it didn't lock up solidly and I expected a $140 sight to lock up solidly regardless if it affects accuracy.

-James.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I would also say get the aimpoint. If not, then the RRA dominator mount is a great option for the eotech. If you want the Magpul Mbus, I have one I will sell you.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm a fan of the MBUS because it is a BACK UP. The price is right and the functionality is great as a BACK UP for the primary optic. $150 is not worth it for a BACK UP...IMHO.

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I've said this before, but if you want an Eotech, try before you buy. Certain eyesight conditions can prevent you from seeing the reticle properly (astigmatisms, etc). I personally can't see them very well, it just looks like red "fuzz" in the vague shape of the reticle. You won't have that problem with an Aimpoint, because it's not holographic.

As far as a BUIS, I'd go with a Troy or ARMS 40L as others have mentioned.

jesse

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Mandeville
    OK, thanks for all the info. More than anything this thread has told me that I don't know what sight I really want...

I handled a carbine with a Eotech a couple days ago and didn't care for it...and I thought I had my mind made up! After a couple days of online and some gun shop research, I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Trijicon Reflex 1 x 42: I like the no battery and wide FOV. I found one with the quick release mount for a very attractive price.

Aimpoint CompC3: Aimpoints are nice, I have a lot of work experience with this type of glass. I won't scuba dive or use NV with this it, so seems like a good fit.

Burris AR-443 Prism: I like the idea of the 3x magnification, but I have no experience with it in a tactical rifle. I am concerned how fast this scope will be, and the reticle seems cluttered. The price is nice, though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom