Suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    gun: PT145 Mil Pro

Carry: CCW, want IWB, OWB, and probably a shoulder holster as well

So, I need a new holster for it, I also would like to get a new holster for this gun for OC (currently using a Fobus for OC...would like something with a retention strap/thumb break), for at least the time until my permit gets to me. The local store sucks, and only thing that they have on hand is Serpa Blackhawks o.O (and if I bought one of those, I Am sure that NolaCopUSMC and Dawg would both drive up here tomorrow and kill me...)

Any suggestions on holsters?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Your first draw would kill you. :rofl:

Now that that's out of the way...

Comptac, Bladetech, Tucker, TT Gun Leather, AZ gun leather, etc all make fine holsters

im sure someone will come through with more suggestions, i have a meeting

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    For an open carry, retention holster, the Safariland ALS is the way to go.

For concealed carry, IWB, a quality leather holster from a reputable source. I'm a fan of the Summer Special pattern, particularly a modified version of the Leather Arsenal DDCS. A lot of folks like the wider 'IWB/pancake' designs like the VM-2 or the MTAC or the ARG.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Most people who carry regularly have drawers full of holsters. I've got a few cheap holster that I like but mostly go with the expensive one's you'll be happier. Also go to www.thebeltman.net and buy a top of the line belt specifically for concealed carry. Trust me the belt is the most important part of the equation.

Dave

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    For an open carry, retention holster, the Safariland ALS is the way to go.

For concealed carry, IWB, a quality leather holster from a reputable source. I'm a fan of the Summer Special pattern, particularly a modified version of the Leather Arsenal DDCS. A lot of folks like the wider 'IWB/pancake' designs like the VM-2 or the MTAC or the ARG.

+1 on all accounts.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    As you move into the CHP world, you will amass a collection of holsters, No one holster is perfect for every situation. You will have one that you use most often, or dailt, but you will see what I mean. I have a shoulder holster I use for business attire is large croqwds for VIP protection. I have a belly band and fanny pack I use for bike riding and running (obviousaly those two do not get a lot of use ;) ). I have OWB holsters I use for range carry and cold weather concealment, and I have IWB holsters I use for deep concealment. I also have ankleholsters for daily BUG carry.

A lot of people dismiss things like fanny packs, belly band, cell pal, and thunderwear as gimmick holsters, and for the most part they are, but they do have limited applications. The goal is to have a holster that meets the need. If you live in a cold weather area, you can probably getaway with a nice leather paddle or belt slide for everyday becasue it will be covered with a jacket. Obviously, in SLA we need to vary our wardrobe more than most, so must our method of carry also change.

i admit that I am a "gadget guy" at heart. I like experimenting with new items, but you will find with time that you fall into a particular mode of carry that your tactics and body frame prefer.

For now I would get a nice paddle OWB holsert. I use a Safariland ALS for my duty weapon as it offers the near same level of retention and identical mechanisms as my actual duty holster. But, you must practic your draw with it. UNLOADED and pointed away from people and couches ;)

As far as IWB, I use a simple leather holster with a belt clip, but I do like the wider models like the MTAC and such because I find it distributes trhe weight and minimizes pinch points. The simple leather with a belt clip also allows for easy appendix carry when I feel that is appropriate.

Hope this helps. If one couch can be saved, then I have done my job....messin with ya Jimmy. :)

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    For the IWB holster I'd get something that's tuckable. My first IWB holster wasn't, it took me all of 2 weeks to realize I needed one that would allow me to tuck my shirt in. I wear Galco's UDC daily.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    For IWB I love my Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster. It works all around for me, about the only things I cant do very well while wearing it is play football and cuddle...those would require some sort of retention. :P I wear it all day every day, it conceals just fine, is pretty comfortable, pretty secure...I like it a lot, well worth the $80.

GrumpyOldMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Metairie
    For the IWB holster I'd get something that's tuckable. My first IWB holster wasn't, it took me all of 2 weeks to realize I needed one that would allow me to tuck my shirt in. I wear Galco's UDC daily.

That’s one of net things about the VM II. Belt straps for untucked or remove the straps and install the Kydex touchable clips and away you go.

The problem with the holster question is everyone has their favorite and what works best for them in any give situation and the only want to find out what works for you is to try different holsters. Yes, I have a drawer full. Actually a few drawers full and I just bought another OWB. Have had it for a couple of months and haven even worn it yet. Price was right and it looked good so I bought it.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    gun: PT145 Mil Pro

Carry: CCW, want IWB, OWB, and probably a shoulder holster as well

So, I need a new holster for it, I also would like to get a new holster for this gun for OC (currently using a Fobus for OC...would like something with a retention strap/thumb break), for at least the time until my permit gets to me. The local store sucks, and only thing that they have on hand is Serpa Blackhawks o.O (and if I bought one of those, I Am sure that NolaCopUSMC and Dawg would both drive up here tomorrow and kill me...)

Any suggestions on holsters?

If I shot you, it would be for two offenses:
    Open carrying a Taurus.

If you shoot up any more apartments while drunk, that would constitute a third offense. If absinthe is involved in the drunkenness, we'd be up to #4.

If pulled over for driving under the influence of absinthe while open carrying after shooting up your apartment, we'd find ourselves at #5.

If any additional exhibitions of immaturity are planned, please let me know so I don't drive all the way up there with only a five-shot J-frame.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Wow Dawg how nice of you! :)

Well, the Fobus is now on truck holster duty, fits nicely in the door panel.

Picked up a fairly cheap cloth holster from Jims this weekend for the PT145, (an OC holster, but also got a IWB holster for when I get my permit). IT is pretty much just like the Uncle Mike's holsters, retention strap w/ thumb break, extra pouch for an extra mag, I know it isn't great, but it is better than the Fobus....so we are slowly moving up.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom