suppressor help/advise/opinions...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    I am currently having a NFA trust drawn up by an attorney and first thing on the list is a 223/556 can.

I have been searching and shopping and learning to narrow it down. Problem is there are many choices. Ideally id like the AAC m4-2000 but the cost of the can and having to use their costly proprietary connect system seem too much for me.

Now im looking to you for advise. I have been looking at the red jacket welded saber. Its $785 with a 15% discount for BS members.

What do yall think is a good bang for your buck can?

Looking to keep it around the $800 mark.

Thanks in advance for any help.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    If you want to throw money away then get a RJF, not bashing someone per say...wait ya they are not to standard of a lot of other suppressors.

Forget the price of the suppressor though. If you are waiting 3+ months for something buy the best thing you can get your hands on.

AAC m4-2000
    SilencerCo Saker
    Huntertown Arms
    Liberty Torch were good
    Gemtech G5/G5-T (I hate gemtech personally but hey they ok)
    Integral Arms Nemesis
    YHM Phantom

These are all suppressor I have handled and shot, all within a few DB's of each other. Really comes down to if you want tacticool qd or regular thread on suppressor.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    I have the m42000. The QD adapter is great. I'm very glad I didn't just buy a threaded can. I take it on and off all the time and i don't have to worry about buggering up the threads as with a standard threaded can. You're making an investment that will last a lifetime of normal use. Forget about the cost, much of which is spent on the trust and other fees and not the can itself.

How do you intend to use it?

LandrysGuns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Addis, LA
    Libery Torch is a good economical can. Retails for $495 and is standard sized for a 223 can. Direct thread on so no adapters needed. They also make a take apart can, the Constitution that can be used on 22lr as well. It is about the same price at $525. I have both in stock and I'll be at the shop next weekend. We're happy to demo the cans and let you shoot some of our downloaded ammo. I have a bolt action threaded and of course an AR 15.
    http://libertycans.net/media/LibertySuppressorCatalog2014.pdf

Dale Landry
    Landry's Guns
    225-694-3376

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    That SD 556 looks awesome. It has VERY close specs to the m42000. I wonder why such a big price gap?

Certainly leaning on the sd556 now. And dealers local that do eforms that can get me one?

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Is it just me or are surefires way over priced?

How do they justify being 100s of dollars more than AAC for an equivalent product.

Last edited:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    After running some AAC's I find that the Surefire locking system is better.

**added**To elaborate on the QD system, it seems weak and prone to wear. One of my shooting partners has already had to send his m4-2000 back a couple time in the past couple years.POI shift is noted to be nill to non on the surefire while not so with the AAC. That's important to me because I would want to run a can across platforms. I guess it really depends on what the end use is looking for in terms of performance. To me it's definitely worth the extra $$.

Last edited:

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    That SD 556 looks awesome. It has VERY close specs to the m42000. I wonder why such a big price gap?

Certainly leaning on the sd556 now. And dealers local that do eforms that can get me one?

IIRC Mike said the SD has less baffles than the M4-2000 so it takes less time to weld.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    The 556 sds are supposed to go into production in February or march. It'll probably be a few months before anyone would be able to get any. Imho surefire is nice but alot of what you are paying for is the surefire name. I would look at silencerco/swr aac and liberty. They all make great cans. The silencerco saker is pretty cool in that you can change the back end of the can to connect to several different manufacturers mounts as well as make it direct thread. Hit me up if you have any questions.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I would get a SDN-6 over the M4 2000. More volume = quieter and it's multi caliber if you ever want to step up to .308 etc.

Yeah and also give mounts some consideration.

AAC mounts require a little adjustment to make them lock up tight. Other systems might be preferred, but it works.

Edit for full disclosure: I am an AAC fanboy.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I usually recommend a 30 cal can as well because they don't sound all that different from a 5.56 can and they are much more versatile. The issue with aac mounts is overblown. I have had some that don't lock up tight at first but once you shoot them a bit they are tight. Never had any accuracy problems either. I believe the mounts were designed to be a little loose so they wouldn't get stuck on the mount.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I usually recommend a 30 cal can as well because they don't sound all that different from a 5.56 can and they are much more versatile. The issue with aac mounts is overblown. I have had some that don't lock up tight at first but once you shoot them a bit they are tight. Never had any accuracy problems either. I believe the mounts were designed to be a little loose so they wouldn't get stuck on the mount.

My $1,000 suppressor rattling on its mount when shooting bullets through that are only a fraction of a fraction of an inch smaller than the hole makes me nervous. I think it is an inherent design flaw and why they stepped up from 18t to 51t and now to 90t on some to make that gap a little bit smaller each time.

However shaving a miniscule amount off the mount makes it lock up perfectly. Also probably like you said with just a little carbon buildup or a few heat cycles it might make it fit tight.

I think the 51t system once user-corrected (if needed) is better than the majority of the competition's mounts. However I can see how it would bother some folks out of the box. Also, AAC offers a nice variety of mounting options and they're relatively easy to come by, which is not the case for most of the competition.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Is it just me or are surefires way over priced?

How do they justify being 100s of dollars more than AAC for an equivalent product.

I love my Surefire's. I get basically 1:1 customer service from them, and the mounts are good, the suppressors light and effective, and for gucci whores like me, the finish won't burn off after a few mag dumps.

- - - Updated - - -

I find the AAC mount works best when you snug it down all the way and then back it off to the next notch.

This is how Kevin says it should be done. It is the correct method, per AAC.

- - - Updated - - -

After running some AAC's I find that the Surefire locking system is better.

**added**To elaborate on the QD system, it seems weak and prone to wear. One of my shooting partners has already had to send his m4-2000 back a couple time in the past couple years.POI shift is noted to be nill to non on the surefire while not so with the AAC. That's important to me because I would want to run a can across platforms. I guess it really depends on what the end use is looking for in terms of performance. To me it's definitely worth the extra $$.

I have been very pleased with my Surefire suppressors, as well. I have not gotten my new SOCOMs yet, though, sadly. tick-tock.

MGshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    If you want to throw money away then get a RJF, not bashing someone per say...wait ya they are not to standard of a lot of other suppressors.

Forget the price of the suppressor though. If you are waiting 3+ months for something buy the best thing you can get your hands on.

AAC m4-2000
    SilencerCo Saker
    Huntertown Arms
    Liberty Torch were good
    Gemtech G5/G5-T (I hate gemtech personally but hey they ok)
    Integral Arms Nemesis
    YHM Phantom

These are all suppressor I have handled and shot, all within a few DB's of each other. Really comes down to if you want tacticool qd or regular thread on suppressor.

Just wondering if you have tried out the RJF Sabre and Orion suppressors ?

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    Just wondering if you have tried out the RJF Sabre and Orion suppressors ?

Negative I have not, thankfully they do not do the 2 piece mono core design that screws together. For the life of me I will never understand a muzzle that is threaded RH, that has a brake that attaches and a suppressors that screws on LH. But the mono core comes together and is once again RH thread. Its was like playing chess the times I have messed with it. Screw suppressor on tight, core comes loose. Tighten core, try again. Then muzzle brake comes lose.

The new suppressor design looks promising and for 25oz and stainless with it being 1 3/4 its got some serious volume. Are they planning to meter them and post results?

Top Bottom