suppressor help/advise/opinions...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurt D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Pineville, LA
    The only thing I can recommend is get a .308 suppressor; that will allow you to go from .223 up to .308 with one can. A guy at the range had a Yankee Hill Machine .308 can and was using it on a Ruger bolt action in .223. That gun was quieter than the youth .22LR on the bench next to him. Sold me on a .308 suppressor. I'm leaning toward the AAC SDN-6 when my 9mm TiRant gets out of NFA prison.

MGshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    We are planning on metering them wen we get enough designs finalized , find a good one to rent and a good location and time to do it .

I agree with the .30 for an all around rifle suppressor . I personally saw a friends suppressor balloon out from shooting .300wm . That was after the manufacturer said that it was safe to shoot ( one of the big brands ) . They made it right in the end but it did cost him another $200 and waiting for a new stamp . One of the things I wanted to do was make sure the Orion was up to what we claim it is . We've shot it on .300 mags , 7" M16's , AK's , .308 mag dumps , and we have a PKM that we have one on . The down side to having a can that strong is weight . I think I did good for having a mag / full-auto rated can come out at 25oz . It is also longer by 2" than our 5.56 can . Its up to the end user to decide if the extra weight and length penalty outweigh the usefulness of greater caliber options .

steveo04234

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Negative I have not, thankfully they do not do the 2 piece mono core design that screws together. For the life of me I will never understand a muzzle that is threaded RH, that has a brake that attaches and a suppressors that screws on LH. But the mono core comes together and is once again RH thread. Its was like playing chess the times I have messed with it. Screw suppressor on tight, core comes loose. Tighten core, try again. Then muzzle brake comes lose.

The new suppressor design looks promising and for 25oz and stainless with it being 1 3/4 its got some serious volume. Are they planning to meter them and post results?

Seems to me if your brake is properly torqued than it shouldn't come loose ...

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    We are planning on metering them wen we get enough designs finalized , find a good one to rent and a good location and time to do it .

I agree with the .30 for an all around rifle suppressor . I personally saw a friends suppressor balloon out from shooting .300wm . That was after the manufacturer said that it was safe to shoot ( one of the big brands ) . They made it right in the end but it did cost him another $200 and waiting for a new stamp . One of the things I wanted to do was make sure the Orion was up to what we claim it is . We've shot it on .300 mags , 7" M16's , AK's , .308 mag dumps , and we have a PKM that we have one on . The down side to having a can that strong is weight . I think I did good for having a mag / full-auto rated can come out at 25oz . It is also longer by 2" than our 5.56 can . Its up to the end user to decide if the extra weight and length penalty outweigh the usefulness of greater caliber options .

Ya I mean by all means if you can deliver that much diversity out of a suppressor its a fantastic design in that weight category, honestly if it can handle FA PKM till its glowing chances are its pretty indestructible.

MGshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Denham Springs
    Ya I mean by all means if you can deliver that much diversity out of a suppressor its a fantastic design in that weight category, honestly if it can handle FA PKM till its glowing chances are its pretty indestructible.

We were all looking forward to shooting it this past weekend ( stupid weatherman ) . We've run some rounds through it on it but not much as our range don't like steel core ammo .

Bucktown_Rat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    I would love to see these BS members post pictures of their toys to go with their comments - especially in the Class III forum.
    C'mon, guys! Am I not allowed to drool?

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I would love to see these BS members post pictures of their toys to go with their comments - especially in the Class III forum.
    C'mon, guys! Am I not allowed to drool?
    10154712_10201848208872408_722340857_n.jpg

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    well I just finished my trust today. now off to do some research on what can do get and if I should get direct thread or Qd.
    dont know if I need the 7.62 can or not right off the bat. Would prefer a break down 5.56 can that I can use on my 22 as well.
    Im thinking direct thread becuase a flashider on a factory 10-22 barrel just seems weird...
    Liberty, YHM and silencerco have intrigued me most and a part of me does what to get the 7.62 so I can suppress my .300WM as well.

can you shoot .22 with a 7.62 can at all? maybe use some type of ultrasonic cleaner for it??? dunno much about suppressors yet.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    well I just finished my trust today. now off to do some research on what can do get and if I should get direct thread or Qd.
    dont know if I need the 7.62 can or not right off the bat. Would prefer a break down 5.56 can that I can use on my 22 as well.
    Im thinking direct thread becuase a flashider on a factory 10-22 barrel just seems weird...
    Liberty, YHM and silencerco have intrigued me most and a part of me does what to get the 7.62 so I can suppress my .300WM as well.

can you shoot .22 with a 7.62 can at all? maybe use some type of ultrasonic cleaner for it??? dunno much about suppressors yet.

Get a dedicated .22 can, the stuff is dirty.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Is there a list of class 3 dealers anywhere?
    Looking for one near prairieville/gonzlaes with reasonable prices and is knowledgable.

Meplat group is out, ill just say we didn't mesh very well over the phone.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I am buying from EMGunslinger. He is in Denham Springs. BJ Pawn. He is good to deal with. That is closest one that I know of to you. You could cut the triangle on LA 16 or go around the 10/12 split in BR to get there. I think +or- 30 minutes from Gonzales to Den Sprs. I drive in from Slidell to deal with him.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I am buying from EMGunslinger. He is in Denham Springs. BJ Pawn. He is good to deal with. That is closest one that I know of to you. You could cut the triangle on LA 16 or go around the 10/12 split in BR to get there. I think +or- 30 minutes from Gonzales to Den Sprs. I drive in from Slidell to deal with him.

Ok thanks. I'm also looking at landrys with Mr. Dale. He has also been recommended. Would like to see one in action first.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'm waiting on a .223 suppressor. I wish I had gone with a .30 cal to save the $$ and extra tax stamp. I did get a .22 spectre 2 from Lafsnguy, good guy, he made it real easy.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    If your looking to save money get a dedicated 22 can and then get a direct thread 30 cal can. Qa is going to be more expensive. I prefer qa for ar 15s but direct thread works just fine. Just need to check it every now and then. The new aac 762 sd is probably the best bang for your buck in a qa can if you decide to go that route. Msrp is 650 with a full iconel stack.

Hammar

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Metairie
    Is there a list of class 3 dealers anywhere?
    Looking for one near prairieville/gonzlaes with reasonable prices and is knowledgable.

Meplat group is out, ill just say we didn't mesh very well over the phone.

Just picked up my cans from Derek (TDH on this forum) of Big Boy Armament. Derek made it all easy and had the best prices I found anywhere. He even had a package deal with an AAC SDN-6 and Element 2. Those two covered me for 5.56, .308, and a dedicated .22.

Top Bottom