surpressed night vision hog hunts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Louisiana is indeed legal on private land with permission from the land owner.

I filmed this one in Texas. It's not as easy as you would think. We had several thermal imagers which really helped a lot. The thermal is good for the spotter and the nightvision is good for the shooter. I often spotted with the thermal. The FLIR thermal imager I had had an IR laser on it which let me pinpoint the pig for the shooter. Goggles and IR lasers mounted on the rifle worked way better than nightvision equipped scopes. With the goggles and IR laser you can just point and shoot. Even suppressed, after the first shot the pigs scatter like crazy so you can't really track them with scopes.

That's me in the video thumbnail. Edit: Actually I think that's Ryan.

Donkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Ponchatoula LA
    Yea, the surpressors don't help a lot with the game like people might think any sound and they run. Glad to hear the law changed. To bad my stamps are not going to make it back this year. Looks like yall have alot of fun. Question, will a 223 be affective on hogs. Planing on getting a 300 black out upper if obama lets me but this the strongest thing for my can I will have for a while.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We had .300 blackout. It took solid hits to knock them down. I am not a professional hog hunter but based on my limited experience I would think .223 would be a little small. I am certain you could make good hits with .223 but if I had a choice I would want a .30 caliber round. The last thing you want is an angry wounded hog running towards you.

The suppressors really helped with communication between all of us. Since we didn't have to wear hearing protection we could easily whisper to each other and talk during the mayhem.

longnkrnch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Is it true that you no longer have to use rim fire for night hog in La.? I'd love to to some off season hoggin with my .223 or .450BM.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    We had .300 blackout. It took solid hits to knock them down. I am not a professional hog hunter but based on my limited experience I would think .223 would be a little small. I am certain you could make good hits with .223 but if I had a choice I would want a .30 caliber round. The last thing you want is an angry wounded hog running towards you.

The suppressors really helped with communication between all of us. Since we didn't have to wear hearing protection we could easily whisper to each other and talk during the mayhem.

i have killed 5 this year with my 300. i would not hunt them with a 223.

Top Bottom