sustitute needed....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ButteRatt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2015
    Pineville
    for 2400 to load my .38 HD Smith....I have seen a couple of similar data with 4227 ...both are MIA in ALL the outlets I know of...is there any other powder that is viable ???
    thanx guys (gals ):rofl:

ButteRatt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2015
    Pineville
    I forgot about Blue....,I don't think I've heard of Powerpistol ; who makes it ?...,I really like shootin' my HD...,A 158 gr. @ 1300 out of a 4 inch is lots-O-fun..., especially in low light !!!, I am down to my last 1/2 lb. of 2400 and I am gettin' nervous !!!

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Power Pistol = Alliant. Very hard to find.
    I can not imagine any powder being a "substitute" for 2400. It just is always the most accurate powder in my magnums. 4227 is the next best, for me.
    If one had loading data, I suspect that "Steel" would be a close substitute. Other than that, you can look into AA9, Enforcer, N110, and Lil' Gun. In all cases, one issue will be if you have loading data or if you know how to work up a load with an unknown powder safely.
    I assume that your .38 HD is the S&W N-frame .38-44 Heavy Duty—a .38 Spl that was loaded HOT due to strength of gun (and not a Kimber .38 Super HD)?
    In case you don't have it, there is some load data (that may not help you, though) at:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?53508-38-44-data

Attachments

• orig.jpg
      orig.jpg
      168.7 KB · Views: 70

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    for 2400 to load my .38 HD Smith....I have seen a couple of similar data with 4227 ...both are MIA in ALL the outlets I know of...is there any other powder that is viable ???
    thanx guys (gals ):rofl:

For 38, Unique, Universal, Blue Dot, PowerPistol, Titegroup, IMR 700X, Win 231 all have application.

Now, try finding some.....

Bayou52

Last edited:

Bayou52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Slidell, La
    We have 700x, tight group and 4227 at my shop. We will also be at the Kenner gun show sat and sun

Just my luck. I'm a care-giver when not working, so it is extremely difficult for me to get out. I can't make the show. But very good to know....

And those darn hazmat fees if I buy and have shipped.....

Bayou52

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    What you need to do is get a list of powders you CAN get, then we can give advice on which might be suitable.
    These days you can't use the powder you want too you have to use the powder you can get.
    I found a can of Alcan #5, sitting forgotten on back of shelf, long discontinued. Since I have older manuals that have data for it, that's what I'm starting to use for some 9mm luger loads. Called making do with what you got (or can get).
    38 special been around a long time, lots of data and lots of different powders can be used...what can you get?
    Gary

Top Bottom