SWFA SS 1-6x24 questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    After looking around a bit and reading some reviews I narrowed down my search to two scopes to put on my LE 6920. The Vortex Razor HD Gen II and the SWFA SS 1-6. Both scopes are 1-6 and first focal plane. I'm not really schooled on all of the pros and cons of FFP in lower power scopes but after looking at the SWFA I do kind of dig it. It's reticle is a doughnut with a small cross hair in the center. At max power the doughnut circle disappears which leaves you with a full size reticle. I wasn't really interested in the BDC reticle that the Vortex had. The Vortex also came in a good bit heavier, has this weird color that doesn't match with anything, and was $400 more. I know that for a lot of people 1-4 power is adequate but I did want the extra magnification. Not to mention the 1-6 was only $200 more than the 1-4. At $999 this was acceptable.

I ended up buying the SWFA but have not yet had a chance to shoot with it. I also bought the throw lever (can't believe those damn things are almost $60) because I read that the zoom is pretty tight. I'm glad that I did because it is very tight. So far even without shooting with it, I am impressed. The glass is very clear even up to 6 power. The eye relief is great for my big head, lol. I like the large range of illumination settings and how it turns off in between each on. I'm not sure how helpful it will be on a bright sunny day because I mounted it right away and don't want to walk out into my apt. parking lot pointing my gun everywhere. I don't see the illumination or lack thereof being an issue though.

I guess my question is, for any of you that have this scope, what are your pros and cons?

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    The problem with some of those scopes is daylight illumination of the dot.

The only true daylight visible models I know of are:

Khales 1-6, Swaro Z6i, Short Dot, And the MK6

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Looks like a fantastic scope. I could not swallow the $999, so I went with the Bushnell 1-4x24 ar. It shipped yesterday.
    When you get your rifle outside, I would like to know how the scope looks on 1x with both of your eyes open. Is there any
    difference between your eye that is looking through the scope, and the other eye that is open but not looking through the scope.
    With my Aimpoint I can open both eyes and it is very natural. I had a Burris 1-4 and tried it. It was a no go with both eyes open
    the 1x was not a true 1x.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Looks like a fantastic scope. I could not swallow the $999, so I went with the Bushnell 1-4x24 ar. It shipped yesterday.
    When you get your rifle outside, I would like to know how the scope looks on 1x with both of your eyes open. Is there any
    difference between your eye that is looking through the scope, and the other eye that is open but not looking through the scope.
    With my Aimpoint I can open both eyes and it is very natural. I had a Burris 1-4 and tried it. It was a no go with both eyes open
    the 1x was not a true 1x.
    Most are not "true" 1X. 1.1x to 1.5x is the norm.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I still haven't had a chance to take it out and check the illumination if full sunlight however; I have read that it is not great but not bad either. As for the power, I don't think it is a true 1x but it must be very close because I can look though it with both eyes open and barely tell a difference. It is certainly not uncomfortable to do so. I don't think I would be happy spending a few hundred more for a true 1x with as clear as this one is to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom