TABLET?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • we.the.people

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    I need some fellow nerds to help me out.
    I work offshore and need a portable tablet to keep in my room for movies and to bug you guys on BayouShooter.
    I already have a company laptop and do not care for another, and I am trying to keep it around $300 and under figuring
    I still want an upper for my lower reciever this year :D

Which do you have or which would you recomend?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    My suggestion is for the iPad for one glaring reason, Ad-Hoc network capability. You can set-up a wireless network with your computer and an iPad can access it, a Droid based tablet can not.

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    +1 on the IPad. Have had two android tablets and both sucked, Samsung and some off brand. The Apple platforms are better products IMO. Got an iPad 3 and am very happy with it.

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have the first kindle fire for a while and got an iPad 3 over the summer. If you can afford it, it's second to none. If you're on a budget the new kindle fire HDs look pretty feature packed for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I too owned, and returned, a kindle fire only to purchase an iPad.

The kindle was frustrating and every app worked its own way.

We now have 3 iPads in the house. They are well worth the extra change.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am considering a Kindle Fire HD just to be able to "Borrow" media from Amazon. I have prime and you have to have a kindle device to "Borrow" stuff, but once you "Borrow" it you can watch it on anything.

Can't go wrong with an Ipad.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    My suggestion is for the iPad for one glaring reason, Ad-Hoc network capability. You can set-up a wireless network with your computer and an iPad can access it, a Droid based tablet can not.

There's an app for that. Want to say its pdanet tablet would have to look when I get home. I have a nook color that's been rooted. Use it sometimes to watch Netflix and use a tethering app on my phone for the Internet access.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have the New iPad. Yeah- it's worth the $$ for the reasons mentioned above.

And with the OS 6 update, you have Siri and the new mapping system, etc. on it.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I have the New iPad. Yeah- it's worth the $$ for the reasons mentioned above.

And with the OS 6 update, you have Siri and the new mapping system, etc. on it.

Note to all Apple junkies: The new mapping system doesn't work. Apple says they'll fix it but doesn't say when. Kinda like how they fixed the dropped call problem with the 4s. Just teach the fanatics a new way to hold the phone. :rofl:

That being said, the ipad is the best tablet to be had at this time. I bought and returned just about every android tablet made trying to find one that would work as well as the ipad and it hasn't happened yet. Phones yes, tablets no.

we.the.people

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    I dig the ipad's but the budget keeps me from getting it. I've looked at the new samsung and the asus TF300T, but may get the google nexus until I can afford the ipad. Any opinons on the nexus?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I just looked at the samsung gslaxy tab 2 at walmart and its super nice. $398 was the price tag

MOTOR 51

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I have a Viewsonic gTablet, and have used it for about two years. You can get a refurbished one for $150 (see below). It has a 10" screen, 16GB RAM, and displays 1080p. It comes with a crappy interface (I thought), and I rooted it with Honeycomb. It works wonderfully now. I got a few 32GB micro Secure Digital memory cards like you use in cameras, and I can put a LOT of movies on it. It does WIFI and bluetooth just fine, and it can tether directly to my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. Right after I got it, my 3 year old daughter got her hands on it, and when I caught her she was jumping up and down on the tablet. NO DAMAGE AT ALL. It has a full-size USB port that takes my USB hard drive,

I put Torque on it too, and can now monitor my car's computer in real-time while I drive.

Now the bad news: Its camera only faces you. No camera on the back. This sucks, and they aren't going to fix it. Also it isn't as sleek and sexy-looking as the iPad.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...BTkwCjCECjCE&gclid=CO6F_raTzbICFWGnPAodTFUA5A

http://www.compusa.com/applications...BTkwCjCECjCE&gclid=CJnU-PSVzbICFXSSPAodVkoAUw

Last edited:

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Archos for an android tablet. They are the best I have seen. The real advantage of the adroid tablets is cost to performace ratio. If you want simple and pretty and don't mind paying out the nose for memory, iPad is the way to go, but if you want more speed and more memory for less money, it's a no brainer.

Top Bottom