Tacoma Headlights, bulbs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Hey guys,
    Just got a "new" tacoma, its a '19 SR with a 4wd and a v6, pretty nice. The headlights are kinda crappy though, its just kinda hard to see at night. They seem kinda dim. Does anyone know if there are any "plug and play" type upgrades like a bulb I can swap out or something that will give me better results? I tried doing research but everything I found seemed to recommend intsalling HID's which required new ballasts and modding of certain areas, Down the road in a few years I might do something like that, but not looking to remove any material from the truck yet, and not really looking to spend a fortune either, I found some entire headlight assemblies that seemed like they would work better but theyre like $500+ this truck has me in the poor house as it is with the collision insurance and all that... anyone got any idea? More Lumens for less$?? Is an aftermarket bulb from Autozone gonna help?

Last edited:

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    Check to make sure the headlights are "sighted in" properly. I use that term for lack of a better one. On most vehicles the headlight elevation can be adjusted, Also maybe polish the lenses. Over time the dirt and other grime from the road pits the plastic headlight cover and causes the "haze". Just my little bit of experience. Hope it helps!

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Check to make sure the headlights are "sighted in" properly. I use that term for lack of a better one. On most vehicles the headlight elevation can be adjusted, Also maybe polish the lenses. Over time the dirt and other grime from the road pits the plastic headlight cover and causes the "haze". Just my little bit of experience. Hope it helps!

Okay thanks! I'll look into adjusting the headlights and making sure the surfaces are cleaned. Edit: Okay I see its just a screw on the back of the housing, I'll check that out tonight! Thanks

Last edited:

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Also, be wary of any "plug and play" HID bulbs. They usually draw way more voltage than your halogen bulbs and I have seen quite a few cause issues.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    My work Dodge Charger came with awful headlights. All of my coworkers headlights sucked just as bad so we bought LED replacement bulbs on Amazon. I believe they were under $30 and plugged right in. We have all had them for close to a year and no problems whatsoever. They are pushing close to twice as bright as the original headlights.

Edit: I found the order, looks like they are at $40 now. Probably not the same bulb you need size wise but just an example.

AUXITO 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs 12000LM Per Set 6500K Xenon White Mini Size HB3 Wireless Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMG43Q...abc_A8HVFP5VANY0EMKW2NVK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Hey guys,
    Just got a "new" tacoma, its a '19 SR with a 4wd and a v6, pretty nice. The headlights are kinda crappy though, its just kinda hard to see at night. They seem kinda dim. Does anyone know if there are any "plug and play" type upgrades like a bulb I can swap out or something that will give me better results? I tried doing research but everything I found seemed to recommend intsalling HID's which required new ballasts and modding of certain areas, Down the road in a few years I might do something like that, but not looking to remove any material from the truck yet, and not really looking to spend a fortune either, I found some entire headlight assemblies that seemed like they would work better but theyre like $500+ this truck has me in the poor house as it is with the collision insurance and all that... anyone got any idea? More Lumens for less$?? Is an aftermarket bulb from Autozone gonna help?

I replaced the headlights on my toyota Scion xD with a"universal" HID kit from www.xrtemevisionhid.com - $49.00. THe only issue was that the positive and negative leads were opposite from my original bulbs and had to be reversed. Been satisfied. I had a 2005 Tacoma that I had put a similar kit on and was also satisfied. I would still be driving that Tacoma if it hadn't been totalled - loved that truck! Could not afford the replacement.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I don’t know much about cars in general but you can buy some LED bulbs from auto zone or a store like it. I travel a good bit at night from time to time and put some in my car. They are extremely bright and I haven’t had any issues with them.

It makes a huge difference driving at night time even on isolated roads with minimal lighting. When I first put them in a couple years back I felt like I was driving around with my brights on at all times.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree with Motor.
    LED headlights FTW!!

I’ve replaced the bulbs in all 4 vehicles with LED’s from Amazon and we couldn’t be happier. No way I’d go HID now. I started with some $40/pair Nineo bulbs for my truck which took 4. I think 6500k is the white just before blue on the spectrum. There is a little fuss in getting them positioned in the housing on some models but they have an adjustable collar that uses one little set screw. Other than that, the harness fits either way so it’s best to test each bulb for polarity by plugging them in each way until they light. I’ve done all 4 vehicles and 2 motorcycles over the past year and I stick to a few rules. Use the fit-my-ride option when buying by entering your vehicle. I stick with the fan cooled models with better reviews.
    So far I’ve stuck with Yorkim but have also bought Nineo. They’re extremely bright compared to factory Xenon bulbs and no crazy wiring.
    By comparison, my buddy bought a $90 pair that are supposed to be the ****, and no brighter than any of the ones I have that we can tell. Also, they work extremely well in projector lamps.
    I had HID’s installed in a car around 2010 that cost me dearly and they were a great improvement over the factory lights. The LED’s seem like the same level of improvement with a lot lower price and easy plug and play. Good luck!

Last edited:

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    I have a 2016 tacoma TRD sport and I use LED headlights in my and LOVE it way way brighter if you get low beams make sure to get the high beams too

I use AUXbeam and they work fine with the housing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom