Tactical Rig Set Up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Do we have a Picture thread (like the gun pic threads) for gear? Gear as in Tactical vests, tac-belts, chest rigs, plate carriers, discreet carrying set-ups, pelican set-ups, etc. If not I think we should. I know we have plenty of lists on threads, and some (very little if at all) of actual pics and styles. It could go along way with brainstorming. I think it would be fun.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    IME, it ends up with 20 pics of mall ninjas that never actually use the stuff except on a static range target-shooting, 10 pics of some-famous-guy and "what pouch is that?" questions, and 1 occasional pic of someone talking about how something held up on the range during a serious course, and typically no professionals really contributing.

I have some pics, somewhere of me in a carbine class with my war belt, but it's back when I was embarrassingly obese, and really doesn't really show anything other than "here's a war belt with some taco pouches and a pistol holster," which isn't worth much discussion.

Since then, I've downgraded in mass and downgraded in gear to just using my every day 1.5" ranger belt, and Raven moduloader frames, and my EDC holster. I don't bust down houses in drug raids, and so I adjusted my gear for scenarios that have even a remote chance of ever occurring. FAK, mags, light, guns, and varying concealment.

I haven't tested the latest setup in rougher environments than static, so no pics or AAR type comments. It's still just a test, for me, currently.

Gringo Loco

Psalms 37
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    IME, it ends up with 20 pics of mall ninjas that never actually use the stuff except on a static range target-shooting, 10 pics of some-famous-guy and "what pouch is that?" questions, and 1 occasional pic of someone talking about how something held up on the range during a serious course, and typically no professionals really contributing.

I have some pics, somewhere of me in a carbine class with my war belt, but it's back when I was embarrassingly obese, and really doesn't really show anything other than "here's a war belt with some taco pouches and a pistol holster," which isn't worth much discussion.

Since then, I've downgraded in mass and downgraded in gear to just using my every day 1.5" ranger belt, and Raven moduloader frames, and my EDC holster. I don't bust down houses in drug raids, and so I adjusted my gear for scenarios that have even a remote chance of ever occurring. FAK, mags, light, guns, and varying concealment.

I haven't tested the latest setup in rougher environments than static, so no pics or AAR type comments. It's still just a test, for me, currently.

Good stuff. Thank you for your imput! I'd like to hear how it faired under a rougher environment when you get a chance.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    36 minutes to go off topic and you have your answer as to why there are not more "gear" threads.

I could put loads of my tactical gear on here, brother. He got his response, as far as I'm concerned, I'm just relaxing with the kids today and enjoying some bs.com.... Lighten up a little bit, honey bun.

shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    image.php

You cant even handle my tacticalness.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That's funny and If you ever see my old chief Jeff Leduff he will probably be wearing one of those.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yup. My vague and barely-on-topic post was the only useful post.

There's more value here as a social club than as a learning environment, OP. Signal to noise ratio... I don't even think the signal is enough to even call it a ratio. lol.

I'll get some pics up in a second and see if **** get's un-derailed by people criticizing/commenting on my mistakes/usage and/or tactical-fatbody guy.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Outer Belt: HSGI Suregrip padded belt. http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB&cat=18
    Inner Belt: Cobra belt I also bought from HSGI

AR Mag pouches: HSGI Tacos... should be enough info on the net that there isn't much to say about these.

Pistol mag pouch is a Blue Force Gear double mag pouch I wove onto the outside of a couple tacos: http://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-double-pistol-mag-pouch/

Sling: VTAC wide/padded sling http://www.vikingtactics.com/slings_wide.html

War belt did it's job well but it's bulky, and overkill for someone who isn't carrying a **** load of stuff on it. As you can see, I didn't have a FAK on it in that class, but even if you add a FAK and a dump pouch, I still wouldn't be using most of the real estate. It is bulky and the flopping was mildly annoying when going prone or sprinting but it wasn't too big of a deal. It's great to just be able to go "ok done" click-clack the cobra belt and drop your gear.

Taco pouches... they did the job and I never lost a mag, and doing tac reloads were easy enough to re-insert into a pouch.

BFG pistol mag pouch - despite these being stretchy type pouches that close after mag retrieval I could actually reinsert a mag with one hand, but not very quickly. I wouldn't recommend it other than if you had 'nothin else' to put your pistol mags in. I got some double rifle/pistol tacos to replace it, and while bulky, it'd work.

Sling: I didn't have it mounted well, and transitions to weak side sucked because I wasn't using the sling as good as I should have. I'd since learned to drop the midlength MOE and get a longer handguard so I could put the front mount further out, and have my hand inside/behind the front mount. It helped me be able to use my support-side elbow better with the sling. In this class, I was mainly using the sling for retention anyways, and only moderate added stability. Instructor did not see slings as being useful for anything beyond retention anyways *yawn* so, whatever. I've since switched to using the Ares Husky Momentum sling and love it. It has less dangly straps to worry about cinching up, the adjustments are easier, faster, and there's only one thing to grab for moving it in OR out. Whereas with the VTAC, you grab the pull string to let it out, and a loose-end to tighten it up. With the Ares you grab the same thing for either direction, and it still stays tight when not pulling the loop. And it has no extra danglies to worry about cinching up.

Obesity: Seriously if you think you're ever going to be prepared for a fight but you're as obese as I was in those pics, then you're fooling yourself. What's more likely? Being attacked by someone in the middle of the night or gout, heart disease, liver cancer, diabetes, etc if you're as fat as that? There's nothing ****ing tactical about being a fatty. I got a ways to go, but I'm getting there.

Beard: I didn't beat the pants off everyone else's times in the final performance evaluation because I was storing energy in my fat rolls. The beard added at least 3 hits' worth of points, and probably shaved at least 5 seconds off my times. The mohawk didn't hurt, but since I didn't have it 'up' I don't think it was operating on full power.

Now I'll let anyone else make comments/questions/lessons based on good/bad (likely the latter) things shown in my photos.

dwI02hC.jpg

W3U8oDd.jpg

HSWNllY.jpg

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Outer Belt: HSGI Suregrip padded belt. http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB&cat=18
    Inner Belt: Cobra belt I also bought from HSGI

AR Mag pouches: HSGI Tacos... should be enough info on the net that there isn't much to say about these.

Pistol mag pouch is a Blue Force Gear double mag pouch I wove onto the outside of a couple tacos: http://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-double-pistol-mag-pouch/

Sling: VTAC wide/padded sling http://www.vikingtactics.com/slings_wide.html

War belt did it's job well but it's bulky, and overkill for someone who isn't carrying a **** load of stuff on it. As you can see, I didn't have a FAK on it in that class, but even if you add a FAK and a dump pouch, I still wouldn't be using most of the real estate. It is bulky and the flopping was mildly annoying when going prone or sprinting but it wasn't too big of a deal. It's great to just be able to go "ok done" click-clack the cobra belt and drop your gear.

Taco pouches... they did the job and I never lost a mag, and doing tac reloads were easy enough to re-insert into a pouch.

BFG pistol mag pouch - despite these being stretchy type pouches that close after mag retrieval I could actually reinsert a mag with one hand, but not very quickly. I wouldn't recommend it other than if you had 'nothin else' to put your pistol mags in. I got some double rifle/pistol tacos to replace it, and while bulky, it'd work.

Sling: I didn't have it mounted well, and transitions to weak side sucked because I wasn't using the sling as good as I should have. I'd since learned to drop the midlength MOE and get a longer handguard so I could put the front mount further out, and have my hand inside/behind the front mount. It helped me be able to use my support-side elbow better with the sling. In this class, I was mainly using the sling for retention anyways, and only moderate added stability. Instructor did not see slings as being useful for anything beyond retention anyways *yawn* so, whatever. I've since switched to using the Ares Husky Momentum sling and love it. It has less dangly straps to worry about cinching up, the adjustments are easier, faster, and there's only one thing to grab for moving it in OR out. Whereas with the VTAC, you grab the pull string to let it out, and a loose-end to tighten it up. With the Ares you grab the same thing for either direction, and it still stays tight when not pulling the loop. And it has no extra danglies to worry about cinching up.

Obesity: Seriously if you think you're ever going to be prepared for a fight but you're as obese as I was in those pics, then you're fooling yourself. What's more likely? Being attacked by someone in the middle of the night or gout, heart disease, liver cancer, diabetes, etc if you're as fat as that? There's nothing ****ing tactical about being a fatty. I got a ways to go, but I'm getting there.

Beard: I didn't beat the pants off everyone else's times in the final performance evaluation because I was storing energy in my fat rolls. The beard added at least 3 hits' worth of points, and probably shaved at least 5 seconds off my times. The mohawk didn't hurt, but since I didn't have it 'up' I don't think it was operating on full power.

Now I'll let anyone else make comments/questions/lessons based on good/bad (likely the latter) things shown in my photos.

dwI02hC.jpg

W3U8oDd.jpg

HSWNllY.jpg

If it worked for you, and you were able to conduct battle drills efficiently and accurately, then it is a success. I'll post my IBA rig when I get out of class and Camelback MULE that I modded into an Aid Bag as to not get sniped..

shaggy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northshore, LA
    okay, okay...serious post.

My callout kit from when I was still in a DM role:

image.php

My armor set up: T3 plate carrier. stand alone shooters cut plates front and back and ditched the side plates (they suck balls)

Business in the front: T3 roo pouch for 3 mags in cummerbund, T3 pouch for 3 more M4 mags and 3 pistol mags, admin pouch with chemlights, a knife, pen, sharpie, rite in rain pad, next to the admin - an extra TQ, and GPS (which, when in use, is secured to my arm)
    image.php

Party in the Back: SORD hydration pack pouch
    image.php

Non-firing side: popflare pouch with a SureFire in it, radio pouch behind that that you cant see, pouch stolen from buddy with his initials on it that PDA was kept in, and OSOE pouch with spare snuff/550/multitool/misc, ITW plastic biner,
    image.php

Firing side: mostly open with a NAR Maritime Kit
    image.php

TAG shoulder pads for being comfy and for routing comms cables and hydration through.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Oh, and the Vortex Sparc sucks dick. It couldn't hold zero more than half the day, and the 'night vision' button kept getting hit when I'd transition to side arm, when the rifle banged against my chest or nuts or whatever. So I'd bring the rifle back up and the dot would be off, which meant I got great practice at using irons through a cowitnessed sight - another reason I don't believe in flip-up sights unless you only fold them down for storage. If you went to shoot, and found your dot missing, I don't think it's a good thing to have to stop and slap-chop your backup irons, before being able to take the shot. Better to just train to use your red dot around cowitnessed irons.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Oh, and the Vortex Sparc sucks dick. It couldn't hold zero more than half the day, and the 'night vision' button kept getting hit when I'd transition to side arm, when the rifle banged against my chest or nuts or whatever. So I'd bring the rifle back up and the dot would be off, which meant I got great practice at using irons through a cowitnessed sight - another reason I don't believe in flip-up sights unless you only fold them down for storage. If you went to shoot, and found your dot missing, I don't think it's a good thing to have to stop and slap-chop your backup irons, before being able to take the shot. Better to just train to use your red dot around cowitnessed irons.

Or just buy a quality optic, and IF it goes down, shoot by looking through the tube.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Or just buy a quality optic, and IF it goes down, shoot by looking through the tube.
    Yea, I switched to Aimpoint Micros, then to EOTech after finding the eotech goes with my astigmatism better. I mainly used the Sparc in that class because I wanted to know if it was good/bad as reviews were mixed, and I had some available to me on loan. Figured 'why not'.

I don't know that shooting through the tube is a great idea, because a big ghost ring sight really only works when there's a front post to center it about. How does that work out? I imagine it's very distance limited.. have you tried this much?

Top Bottom