Tactical Sling Decision... Input?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I'm in the market for a tactical sling. Mainly to keep my rifle handy while walking my property in Mississippi. Any suggestions...?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I had a gear sector single point, used it for about a year, through a multi-day class, no problems.

I have since swapped it out for the Larue/Viking Tactics 2 point, its pretty much the most comfortable sling I've tried. it has a nice padded area where most cut into your neck/shoulder and is very quick to adjust on the fly

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    viking sling

Just checked out that sling on there website... looks pretty nice. It looks like I'd have to rig out my bushy to hook up that viking. It doesn't appear to go on the factory sling mounts.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a VTAC, a Rocky Mountain and about 10 standard usgi type slings. The padded VTAC is, without a doubt, more comfy. I used one of the standard usgi type slings in the Awerbuck class and it worked fine.

They all work fine. It's hard to say what you're going to like without buying a few.

That being said, if you're just walking around, anything more than a standard 2 point is probably going to be wasting money.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Yeah, just patroling hunting property. Got some renegade neighbors that like to run their damn dogs year round, whether it's hunting season or not. So you never know when or what's gonna pop out within range. I think I'll try out that Viking sling...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have mine on the quick disconnect swivels, one plugs into my CTR stock and I bought a rail mount quick disconnect for the front attachment.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    Can't go wrong with a gear sector. I have never tried the Viking but I hear they are nice. I have the gear sector 2 point. I have had it about six months with no issues.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Let me ask a stupid question... What's the difference between a two point tactical harness and a lenth of 1" nylon webbing from the hardware store, other than some added padding and price?
    BTW, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I need to put a sling on my AR and was planning on going the usual hardware store route...

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    Personally, I like the Blackhawk Single Point. Bought one at Daves Gun Shop in Lafayette for $26. Really high quality build, and very reasonable price.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Let me ask a stupid question... What's the difference between a two point tactical harness and a lenth of 1" nylon webbing from the hardware store, other than some added padding and price?
    BTW, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I need to put a sling on my AR and was planning on going the usual hardware store route...

alot of the "tactical" slings are quick adjustable.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

On some the AR will hang the way you want it to, not upside down.
    Attachment points & method come into play.
    I did see one of the tactical variety at Acadamy in the sling section.
    Maybe you can see it firsthand there.
    It might be a good item to head over to 10-8 for.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I was never really into slings either.
    Katrina convinced me every rifle needs a sling. (So much that I can see a need for a lanyard on a pistol.)
    I also became a believer after using them to shoot with.
    I also think any sling is better than no sling and having a good sling is the way to go though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've always believed in slings. I've just never taken the time to look at the more expensive slings... Like I said, I usually pick up some nylon strap and a few fastex parts at the local hardware.

claystreet

Mike
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Jersey
    I cant help you out on advice only because I think a sling is a very personal item. I can tell you that I have seen a sling that is being designed and I was asked to collaborate on marketing it. It will be pretty kick ass with quick disconects and a few mounts. It is designed for tactical entry teams who may have to quickly remove their weapon or switch to another weapon ie: AR to MP-5. One flick of the wrist and presto, you can drop your piece or switch to another. The patent office is doing their usual 3 year wait thing. As soon as I get a proto type I will be field testing it.

-Mike
    www.mresource.net

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom