Taking a walk?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've been thinking a lot lately, and I think our second amendment may be already gone depending on the responses I get to this.

I have been considering taking a walk to ABM's house. On this walk I would carry my AR and/or my beretta 96 in a drop leg holster. The walk would be 2 fold in purpose.
    1. To test personal comfort of equipment on a short hump.
    2. To see if I would make it.

I would, of course, be carrying ammunition to check comfortable weights. My walk would take me through town. Do I still have the freedom to do this or would I be arrested? I almost certainly would be harassed. Would I make it?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    AR in hand or slung? I assume you mean walking normally through town, not sneaking from bush to bush.

I think you'll be harrased, confronted by cops, and then allowed to continue. Or possibly given a lift to the other side of town by the cops.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Slung on shoulder, walking openly down main street. I wouldn't want to appear aggressive.

I would also considering carrying with the bolt carrier in my pocket, not installed, so that intent can not be mistaken.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    when you call LAcarry, it gets posted on BS.com and Mcinfantry arrives to take your picture, you WILL look uber-tacticool.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    There will defiantly be calls from people to 911, "there's man with a gun!"

Make sure you don't walk near any schools.

:)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    not knowing where the hell Sunset, LA is, and based solely on the fact that it sounds tiny, I would NOT want to place my life in the hands of some small town cop or dirt road deputy and trust he will keep his finger off the trigger in the face of my tacticool-ness.

You walk through town wearing that kinda iron you WILL get a police response and knowing the way citizens call in, and dispatchers blow stuff out of proportion, the first responder will likely be told your waving guns around and cranking rounds off in the air.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    not knowing where the hell Sunset, LA is, and based solely on the fact that it sounds tiny, I would NOT want to place my life in the hands of some small town cop or dirt road deputy and trust he will keep his finger off the trigger in the face of my tacticool-ness.

You walk through town wearing that kinda iron you WILL get a police response and knowing the way citizens call in, and dispatchers blow stuff out of proportion, the first responder will likely be told your waving guns around and cranking rounds off in the air.

So as an LEO you are saying it is gone. Or I could test it and get shot.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    ...the first responder will likely be told your waving guns around and cranking rounds off in the air.

Make sure your chambers and barrels are cleaned before you go. Just to CYA in case this happens. Analysis of the firearm will show that it had not been shot since last cleaned.

I think the result of this walk will depend entirely on luck. Who see's you and who doesn't.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    It would be interesting to see how people react. I can remember seeing in CCTV how many people just didn't realize the perp had a gun in his hand at his side... they just didn't take notice. However, an AR on your back may get some attention. It's definitely worth recording and making a big deal out of it. I would like to be a part of this if possible, please let me know when you plan on it.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Alabama is very similar to Louisiana as far as political climate, hunting, gun laws, etc....it is legal to open carry in Alabama also. A couple years ago a guy goes strolling through a nice neighborhood in Mobile with an AK slung over his shoulder. Long story -> short, he gets arrested and has his rifle taken from him.

Best case scenerio:
    - somebody calls 911
    - cops are told 'man with gun'
    - assload of cops show up
    - you get disarmed
    - you get arrested
    - legal fees, legal fees, legal fees
    - DA finally drops charges
    - you have to sue to get your rifle back

Other scenerios only get worse.

Unless you have some deep pockets or your wife is a criminal lawyer, it will likely turn into a very frustrating and expensive event. If you want to exercise your 2A rights, I would start by either retaining a lawyer or getting the support of the NRA, LSA, GOA, etc.

Last edited:

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    I'm not far from Sunset. I'd be glad to video the ordeal. I do know my rights, but I also know the mentality of deputies in our small area. I don't see how they are qualified to carry a gun much less handle a situation with someone carrying a gun. I wouldn't risk my safety with their lack of knowledge. What they don't know or see ain't hurting them, in my case anyway.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    THAT'S the spirit.

The cops aren't "out to get you"... well, if you continually thumb your nose at them, like Jimmy Dean did, they might be...:rolleyes:

Most cops want is the same thing you do... an uneventful day and a nice evening at home. If you don't do anything to attract their attention, they'll leave you alone.

fixed. ;)

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    If you want to exercise your 2A rights, I would start by either retaining a lawyer or getting the support of the NRA, LSA, GOA, etc.

I don't see it as an issue of excercising my 2A rights.
    I see it as someone intentionally going out to cause a scene.
    Because they know darn well what the local climate is like in these matters and are only seeking to draw attention to themselves.

There are thousands of people who OC on a daily basis around this country and you never hear one peep about any one of them.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I'm coming into this thread a little late, but I would suggest if you do anything even similar that you put the rifle in a scabbard. Many of the Eberlestock bags have scabbards that go with them and are great bags if you actually need a field bag. We use to do a long ruck once a week just to be able to maintain our conditioning for the field. I started throwing 5 25lb weights in my ruck until we started increasing speed and the clanking got old. Then I started filling up containers of water and putting them in there to simulate weight.

They also make the dummy AR's and etc. That's what we used when we did ruck marches in BR out around LSU. ROTC used to do similar too. Not sure if they still do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom